Carbon Monoxide Detector ( brain fade)

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Just about to install 2 new co2 and smoke detectors inthe boat ( fire wil be lit first time tonight) but for the love of g I cannot rememember if you fit the CO2's high up , Half way up the wall or near the floor

Smoke Det's know are roof mounted !!

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

In my experience best to see what the actual instructions say.

Yep, I admit it will be near impossible to meet all the stated requirements about distances from walls, ceiling, doors, windows, cooking appliances etc, but I still think best that you do your own compromise interpretation of what it says for that particular unit.

The reason I say this is because I know when I have replaced units with a different type, that what seemed acceptable for the old model seems to fall firmly in the "don't do this" list for a new one, and it has been sensible to relocate it.

Just about to install 2 new co2 and smoke detectors inthe boat ( fire wil be lit first time tonight) but for the love of g I cannot rememember if you fit the CO2's high up , Half way up the wall or near the floor

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris you will often get some seriously dodgy advice in here about where to fit these so what I always say now is

1 - Check the ones you have bought are suitable for installation in a boat, not all are.

2 - Like Alan has said adhere as near as possible to the supplied installation instructions, you may find you need to compromise somewhere along the line if installing on a boat.

3 - Follow the advice in this BSS link

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180329/co-safety-on-boats-2013-web-hkj.pdf

Scroll down for info. on CO alarm installation.

Yes normally the standard site for a stand alone smoke alarm is high up on the ceiling out of any potential dead air spaces (that is where ours is) but again check the actual instructions.

Edited by The Dog House

all are new but unboxed and I have lost instructions..hence the question...

I think for safety i will mount 1 high and the other just above half height

Chris

What make/model are they? the instructions can often be found on line on the manufacturers web site.

Cheers

Chris

Don't bother to fit any CO2 detectors, they will just sound all the time. If they don't sound, your plants will all die. But if you mean CO detectors, that is another matter!

Edited by nicknorman

Thank you nick

I do believe ( without any intended sarcasm ) that the other posters who answered my question were well aware of what I meant

But I thank you of reminding me if my schoolboy error

I'm sure you are right, though it was interesting to note several others copying the term. I'm sure you think me pedantic (and I'm sure you are right about that too!) but, as with the confusion surrounding amps, amp hours (and even amp/hours) these things if left uncorrected can ultimately lead to more confusion and problems later on.

I'm sure you are right, though it was interesting to note several others copying the term. I'm sure you think me pedantic (and I'm sure you are right about that too!) but, as with the confusion surrounding amps, amp hours (and even amp/hours) these things if left uncorrected can ultimately lead to more confusion and problems later on.

well if it needs saying - yes I noticed it and indeed copied it but didn't think it was worthy of mention, I can be pedantic too but the CO/CO2 thing is pretty commonly done (Ray did it too in post two) but I knew exactly what Chris (and Ray) were talking about, and a CO2 alarm as you pointed out would be a superfluous item on a boat, (though not of course on a spaceship - but that's a different forum)

Edited by The Dog House

Hi Chris you will often get some seriously dodgy advice in here about where to fit these so what I always say now is

1 - Check the ones you have bought are suitable for installation in a boat, not all are.

2 - Like Alan has said adhere as near as possible to the supplied installation instructions, you may find you need to compromise somewhere along the line if installing on a boat.

3 - Follow the advice in this BSS link

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180329/co-safety-on-boats-2013-web-hkj.pdf

Scroll down for info. on CO alarm installation.

Yes normally the standard site for a stand alone smoke alarm is high up on the ceiling out of any potential dead air spaces (that is where ours is) but again check the actual instructions.

... or if it helps

Smoke alarms - http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/smoke-alarms-for-boats/installing-smoke-alarms/

Carbon Monoxide (CO) - http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/carbon-monoxide-%28co%29/placing-co-alarms/

Whilst it may seem pedantic to some, I believe the distinction between CO and CO2 is very important because people do recognise CO2 and know it is heavier than air. Therefore people start to think the CO detectors should be mounted low down whereas the density of CO is almost identical to air. This confusion was recently shown on a BBC news program and no attempt was made to correct it.

Better to mount them high rather than low as the sources of CO tend to be warm and warm air rises; otherwise at head height.

Whilst it may seem pedantic to some, I believe the distinction between CO and CO2 is very important because people do recognise CO2 and know it is heavier than air. Therefore people start to think the CO detectors should be mounted low down whereas the density of CO is almost identical to air. This confusion was recently shown on a BBC news program and no attempt was made to correct it.

Better to mount them high rather than low as the sources of CO tend to be warm and warm air rises; otherwise at head height.

No - it's better to mount them as per the instructions and in line with what the BSS office say which isn't always 'high up'.

Our instructions say it is to be mounted specifically at eye level so you can read the display easily and not within 30cm of the ceiling which is a dead air space.