Online map showing electric hook up points?

brian1042

Featured Posts

Pearsons certainly shows marinas (not all have electricity) and most online private moorings (I'd say about half have electricity) but you can't always simply plug in here (ie can't obtain short term moorings). Since CRT-provided visitor moorings with mains hookup are so unusual, they'd no doubt mention it in the accompanying text.

There are two electric points in Stoke Bruerne (top end of the Museum Green) so you need to be moored close by and make arrangements with the Museum to use - restricted hours over the winter (Wednesday to Sunday - 11:00 to 15:00 I think).

There is one bollard at Worcester for visitors - right at the start of the canal proper and there is one at Stourport but, these might have been changed to the new smart metering like the ones around Birmingham, thus stopping casual use.

I suspect the ones at West Stockwith and Doncaster might have been changed to smart meter but I'm sure someone will say if that is not true.

I seem to recall there was a bollard at Brentford, near the s/stn but I'm not too sure.

There are two pillars on the visitor moorings at Eastwood, Rotherham.

The OPO should be aware that there are several different types of card. The Rolec ones take the whole card in one go whilst the Ampy ones use the same card as pumpout, etc and take off the cost as you use it, allowing you to eject the card with the unused bit when you unplug. AFAIK the ones at Clarence Dock are different yet again.

Regards

Pete

The Ragley Boat Stop pub (between Stenson and Swarkestone on the T&M) has electric points on its moorings. They need a card that can be bought in the pub, but we've always found enough credit left over from previous users that we've not had to buy one. This year, though, the only one that didn't have a boat permanently moored on it, was out of order.

Below is what I contributed to the Titanic-copycat-incident on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, no-one so far has seemed to think this a good idea. Similar to what you're after, you want to find stuff on a map and know all about it - where it is, what are the opening times, how to operate it, payment, etc.

We live in the computer/Internet age and these kind of maps / addition-deletion of info on them is a doddle to create, and one would find the details invaluable.

However - Britain always seems technologically backward and who is going to be bothered to start such a map-guide (does one exist already for the canals? Methinks not).

And there is a "darker" side to this.... sure such maps and instant info helps, but we are becoming 'The New Clueless' when presented with everything upon a plate. There's a satisfaction to gathering bits of info as you go and sorting them into your own logic. There's the mystery of not quite knowing what's ahead (I hear the HNC ends at an ocean where on ancient tattered and yellowing maps is scribed "Sea Serpents Dwell Here" foir instance). Learners will look up to you with your fountain of knowledge which you have gradually collected over the years... I'm myself thinking of getting a narrowboat in the not-so-distant future and now thinking that perhaps a very long extension cable would come in handy, park outside a pub for the evening and run it out the window?

- - - - - - - -

Here's an idea: is there a daily updated map of the canals system on the Internet where faults and potential problem sites can be shown? CaRT themselves could be looking at this constantly - anyone who adds a fault (such as a particular lock causing mischief) leaves their details so CaRT can contact them by phone/e-mail/Towpath-Telegraph?

Boaters could register, if they like, to a service which sends warnings to their cellphones (these systems already exist, eg. bad weather warnings in the USA, airlines send you texts to tell you it's time to check-in, etc).

Any boaters having gone through and experienced a problem could put a sign up with date and time and explanation for the next boat to come along?

And now... back to the real world....! smile.png

However - Britain always seems technologically backward and who is going to be bothered to start such a map-guide (does one exist already for the canals? Methinks not).

The answer to all of this is pretty much OpenStreetMap - a collaborative map of the world where you can record any (factual, geographical) information that's important to you. That could certainly include charging points.

Cyclists and increasingly walkers make great use of OSM - I think you could probably say that a majority of online cycling maps are based on OSM data. Boaters next, perhaps?

(And OSM was, of course, invented and largely developed in the UK. I'm not sure that, post-Nokia crash and acquisition, people in Finland should be crowing too much about technological backwardness. ;) )

And who are you proposing should keep these maps up to date? We already have a web site to give diesel prices, yards that insist on a 60/40 split, where you can recycle. and all you hear is they are not up to date. All these things are only as good as we, the users make them by providing up to date information for them.

I wonder if the Electric Boat Assoc. would know? My partners family had an electric narrowboat in the 80's (it was very experimental). We still have the old Nicholsons marked with boatyards and pubs which were happy for them to charge up at - some pubs back in the day were happy to run a cable out of the window if you ate and drank there, not sure how well that would go down now.

Not a problem on Thames or Broads as those places have plenty of charging points for electric boats.

I'm sure this can be done, but someone has to do it. As ditchcrawler says, most volunteer- maintained map information tends to be woefully out of date. So if the system is to work, someone is going to have to pay for it. How much are you prepared to pay?

I'm sure this can be done, but someone has to do it. As ditchcrawler says, most volunteer- maintained map information tends to be woefully out of date. So if the system is to work, someone is going to have to pay for it. How much are you prepared to pay?

Money raising opportunity for CART?