Who knows this boat?

Hornblower

Featured Posts

Hey,

in 2011 we travelled along the Shropshire Union Canal. Eventually we passed a wharf with an interesting boat inside the dock. I can not remember where exactly it was.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo23k4iv7we8tt6/IMG_1303%20Kopie.jpg?n=141277983

Does anyone know this boat and can share a foto how it looks today? Maybe it has been finished?

Greetings

Hornblower

It's a boat at Keith Ball's "Industry Narrowboats" near Stretton Aqueduct.

I think the hull next to it is Small Northwich "Enceladus", which we showed interest in for a short period, but ultimately decided was not the right potential boat for us.

Your boat is a replica Bridgewater tug of some sort, I think - I believe a speculative build by Keith that he never completed, though I may be remembering the story wrongly.

Knowing that yard, it probably still looks much the same, but maybe is outside again now, rather than in the shed.

Then again, maybe not, but it wasn't being worked on the last time we visited friends there.

The forum's "Captain Ahab" will probably know, as Keith Ball is currently putting a butty together for his floating business - presumably in that same shed?

EDIT:

Blog post for our viewing of "Enceladus" as work in progress. You can just see this boat alongside in the picture in there.

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes it is outside again as of last Friday and next to me on the bank having been shotblasted and primed for the upteenth time. There are murmurs that it will be next in the shed to be fitted out in mahogany ! with a glass encased engine but I guess it is waiting for Tiggers to finish at the Port laugh.png

Edited by PaddingtonBear

• 3 years later...

While diging through my fotos I came along the one I posted here. Unfortunately I still don´t know anything about this boat and how it looks today (a request via mail to "Industry Narrowboats" wasn´t answered).

Is anyone here who can give some newer infos about the boat or even better a foto?

Cheers

post-16768-0-08724300-1486737286_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I could contact Industry Narrowboats via Facebook and they gave me the informations and fotos I was looking for:

It's a not finished replica of a Bridgewater tug. Meanwhile the boat was gritblasted and got a basic paint. Windows are ready to get installed. Industry Narrowboats plan to sell it for self fitout. Unfortunately I am far away of buying my own narrowboat. Here are two up to date fotos I got from Industry Narrowboats and an older one I found online:

16880225_1882616471980770_1502487370_o.jpg

16880362_1882616518647432_416497115_o.jpg

3436556_f8a055c5.jpg

• 2 years later...

I,v recently found out about this boat , and it looks like I will be buying it  

I would love to know more about it , and what the original plans were for it. , did anybody ever think of a name for here ,,,yep definitely a she !! 

19 minutes ago, Spanners said:

I would love to know more about it , and what the original plans were for it. , did anybody ever think of a name for here ,,,yep definitely a she !! 

Thank God - at last someone is buying the damn thing

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Thank God - at last someone is buying the damn thing

Well discussions have been started more to do yet  got to go and give her a good going over and make a reasonably sensible plan of how to  proceed  , I,v been looking at a lot of older boats tugs,, work boat's,, etc and even considered a new tug  or workboat shell ,, but I think its the character that got me interested in this , and sat studying things last night a. Name for her popped into my head considering what's been going of in my home town where I was born ,Whaley Bridge,, and its links with the canal network etc,  I think the name ,Toddbrook, would suit her 

Opinions  please 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 22:42, Spanners said:

You really ought to go and at least see the boat if you want to fnd out more about it.  I do find it strange that anyone would declare they intend buying a boat they have never actually seen "in the flesh" the people who know about it and what the original plans were are all there at the yard where it is for sale. If you are genuinely interested in buying it go and look at it with your own eyes.

I wanted to add to this post just in case there is someone else out there who would have liked to buy the boat but has been put off asking about it because they think there is a deal that has been done. It is a lovely boat and it needs someone with the vision and ability to bring it to completion. It could be a very special vessel if the project was handled correctly