N/b Boat Owners Manual format

brum

Featured Posts

Hi

I am trying to produce a boat owners manual for my newly purchased n/b. Can anyone point me in the right direct for a guide as to how the format should be. I have all the info and documentation I just need the layout the manual should take, ie headings etc.

Many thanx

Brum

NB Scolar Gypsy have kindly produced one and put it on their blog:

http://scholargypsy.judgefamily.org.uk/instructions.pdf

I have done similar but not put it in PDF format. If you would like a copy please PM me when you have 5 posts, PM system won't work before having a post count of 5.

I have also put all my important documents, bill of sale, insurance, license receipts, purchase receipts etc., in a loose leaf A4 folder but these are in no particular order.

Edited by Ray T

Thank you thats great. I appreciate the reply.

Not sure if I am asking for the right thing. I want to produce a document which contains all the spec for the boat, ie a boat spec manual.

So at a glance I have the relevant info in an easy to read format instead of going thro a mountain of paper work and brochures. plus as you point out to

keep copies of the documentation you mentioned.

Regards

Brum

Hi

I am trying to produce a boat owners manual for my newly purchased n/b. Can anyone point me in the right direct for a guide as to how the format should be. I have all the info and documentation I just need the layout the manual should take, ie headings etc.

Many thanx

Brum

Hi,

if your newly purchased boat is brand new (or less than 5 years old for a privately built boat) then by law the boat documentation should already be assembled into an Owners Manual as part of the Recreational Craft Directive by the person who built it.

cheers.gif

A

Hi

Yes the boat is over 5 years old and I do have all the info and documentation required, its just contained in so many different documents I wish to

organise it into a single document format. And was wondering if there is a standard format for such a document.

Regards and Respectfully

Brum

Adding on to what Ark Right says - are you trying to produce an RCD compliant Owners Manual because you are fitting out a new hull or sailaway and are trying to make the whole boat RCD compliant or do you just want to do a simple manual for your own convenience perhaps?

The format required for the RCD compliant manual is given in an ISO standard (EN ISO 10240). Don't know if you have a way to access these docs (perhaps at work?) but you could try your local library They may allow you to link to British Stds to read it via their in house PCs or even from home if you are a library member. However not all County Library services have this facility as it is quite costly for them. Otherwise you can always buy a copy from Brit Stds for £70!!!

Another way could be to borrow someone elses RCD owners manual (I have a copy of one, written by a Dutch boatbuilder - in English!! - if you're really stuck and don't mind covering my costs I could copy it for you).

Richard

(Edited) OK - sorry - I see from your new post that you aren't trying to do a "proper" RCD one!

Edited by rjasmith

NB Scolar Gypsy have kindly produced one and put it on their blog:

http://scholargypsy.judgefamily.org.uk/instructions.pdf

I have done similar but not put it in PDF format. If you would like a copy please PM me when you have 5 posts, PM system won't work before having a post count of 5.

I have also put all my important documents, bill of sale, insurance, license receipts, purchase receipts etc., in a loose leaf A4 folder but these are in no particular order.

What an absolutely wonderful piece of work. I cannot get over the precise information this owner has produced and well set out.

Hi

Many thanx

Brum

As to your original post, just put together all your paperwork in plastic sleeves, in an A4 folder with index tabs labelled Insurance, BSC, survey, licence etc. Just look at your paperwork and put a heading. Placing them in alphabetical order would be a nice touch also.

Hi

Many thanx

Brum

I'll mail you a copy of mine as a guide, if you like.

What an absolutely wonderful piece of work. I cannot get over the precise information this owner has produced and well set out.

As to your original post, just put together all your paperwork in plastic sleeves, in an A4 folder with index tabs labelled Insurance, BSC, survey, licence etc. Just look at your paperwork and put a heading. Placing them in alphabetical order would be a nice touch also.

That's very kind. It has become a bit of a labour of love....

My only cautionary tale is that experience suggests that if I lend the boat to a friend (or a son) then they won't finish reading all of the manual until the end of the weekend. So try to put the important bits near the front (like remembering to put the weed hatch back on properly, the most recent adventure ...).

That's very kind. It has become a bit of a labour of love....

My only cautionary tale is that experience suggests that if I lend the boat to a friend (or a son) then they won't finish reading all of the manual until the end of the weekend. So try to put the important bits near the front (like remembering to put the weed hatch back on properly, the most recent adventure ...).

Simon,

You must have the patience of Jove to produce such a detailed document like that. Respect!

I believe that all boat builders should supply a wiring and plumbing diagram with the usual other documentation, as this would greatly assist the owners in carrying out maintenance and alterations. I intend to produce diagrams for my own use and potentially that of others in case we ever sell the boat.

Mike

Simon,

You must have the patience of Jove to produce such a detailed document like that. Respect!

I believe that all boat builders should supply a wiring and plumbing diagram with the usual other documentation, as this would greatly assist the owners in carrying out maintenance and alterations. I intend to produce diagrams for my own use and potentially that of others in case we ever sell the boat.

Mike

If the boat is built to the RCD it is required to have an owners manual in an approved format (ISO 10240) This does include a requirement for wiring diagrams but not for water plumbing strangely! May require diagrams for gas I suppose but I don't know as I'm a gas free zone!

Richard

Edited by rjasmith

If the boat is built to the RCD it is required to have an owners manual in an approved format (ISO 10240) This does include a requirement for wiring diagrams but not for water plumbing strangely! May require diagrams for gas I suppose but I don't know as I'm a gas free zone!Richard

Hello Richard,

Our boat was in fact built to the Recreational Craft Directive standard by a reputable boat builder and accompanied by a comprehensive manual, which I believed to be of the approved format, but sadly minus any wiring or gas plumbing diagrams.

I can understand the problems in compiling wiring and plumbing diagrams on boats that are of differing levels of build, with customers requiring varying configuration of cabin outlays and designs, but given the high cost of new build boats this after sales information should always be included in the documentation.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Simon,

Mike

This thread has prompted me to produce a wiring diagram. The latest version I have is here. Words here.

Unfortunately it is not very useful, as when we had the boat stretched in 1994 we did a part exchange, and had a new engine room built. The old one is still floating, as a workboat (FROG) in the Braunston area....

So I really must do some crawling around and produce a new one. Conceptually the set-up pretty similar, although we now use a splitting diode rather than a relay for charging, and the engine heaters are controlled directly from the keyswitch rather than through a relay (I think).

We moved the Adverc unit from the old boat to the new one, so that has been working for 25 years plus now....

Pedant alert!

Jove wasn't noted for his patience (think thunderbolts).

The imaginary bloke you're thinking of is Job.

No problem Matchpoint and thanks for the correction. It's funny how terms are distorted over the years.

This thread has prompted me to produce a wiring diagram.

Once again Simon,

You must have the patience of Job..........

Thanks for the links Ray, I have bookmarked them for future reference.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Ray,

That fine example puts our manual to shame. Well proportioned and an excellent reference source for the boat owner.

Cheers,

Mike

The technical file is not the same as the owners manual. The technical file is the working document used by the "builder" to prove compliance with the RCD and supporting standards and needs to include all drawings, calculations, test reports and CE documentation of all components used. The technical file should be retained by the builder, I think for 10 years, and the courts / HSE can require the file to be handed over in case of an accident.

The owners manual is not so detailed and is given to the purchaser for operation and maintenance purposes.

Paul

The technical file is not the same as the owners manual. The technical file is the working document used by the "builder" to prove compliance with the RCD and supporting standards and needs to include all drawings, calculations, test reports and CE documentation of all components used. The technical file should be retained by the builder, I think for 10 years, and the courts / HSE can require the file to be handed over in case of an accident.

The owners manual is not so detailed and is given to the purchaser for operation and maintenance purposes.

Paul

Hi Paul

Both should be part of the manual pack as required by the RCD without either the boat is not RCD complient

Ray

Paul

Thanks for clarifying that point Paul. The owner's manual as you describe it, is in fact what we have on board. I would have appreciated more technical information such as wiring diagrams etc., all the same.