Heat your boat for 8p per day. Sort of.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Let us say that a kWh of electricity costs 15p. If Justme is correct in his assessment that one tea-light has a calorific value of 35 Watts, and 100 cost £1.75, that means that a kWh of tea-light energy costs 50p.

So tea-lights are going to cost more than three times as much as an electric fire.

This chap works for Practical Boat owner?

Hope they don't let him near the hulls.

• Greenie 1

Let us say that a kWh of electricity costs 15p. If Justme is correct in his assessment that one tea-light has a calorific value of 35 Watts, and 100 cost £1.75, that means that a kWh of tea-light energy costs 50p.

Perhaps but you are not taking into account that his heater is in front of a mirror, thus doubling its output.

I'm just wondering what might happen when the first speeding boat comes by, lit candles and very hot flower pots off the shelf on to the floor, better have the fire extinguishers handy.

Perhaps but you are not taking into account that his heater is in front of a mirror, thus doubling its output.

Very good point, however if you are correct about doubling the output, why not put an electric fire in front of the mirror, thus doubling it's output.

:)

.... if you are correct about doubling the output...

If I was correct about doubling the output I'd be a very rich man.

The doubling effect is, of course, instantly cancelled out because the mirror also doubles the size of the room and, therefore, the amount of space to be heated.

To be fair, Dylan has been slowly circumnavigating the UK in a succession of small yachts, starting off with a Mirror Offshore 19, moving on to a 23' Hunter (IIRC, can't remember the model name, but it's a double-ended design), and I believe the current plan is to move up to a Westerly Centaur for doing the 'difficult' bit around the top of Scotland. Even the Centaur has a smaller volume than all but the smallest of narrowboats, and being seagoing boats they're pretty well sealed. All of the boats have an outboard engine (the plan for the Centaur is to find one without a working inboard, and convert it to an outboard in a well, not necessarily a plan I think is a good idea, but it's not my boat and I'm not being paid to have a professional opinion on it), so no calorifier for hot water, no stove, no diesel on board for a heater, and no regular access to 240V electricity. Personally, if I wanted a nice, cozy yacht, I'd be looking at either a Taylor's paraffin heater, or an Origo (to go with my Origo 3000 cooker). Neither of those options is particularly cheap though.

I'm pretty sure I could, if I wanted to, heat the cabin of my yacht (17' Express Pirate) with such an arrangement. In practice, I don't need to as I only daysail in the winter months (in fact most of the time).

I'm not planning to, because I don't think having that many naked lights on a boat is a good idea, even if they're contained within a deep metal tin.

Of course it works - all these people who have already turned on their heating / started lighting their stoves becuase they think it is cold now could use this to give them the illusion of heating and thus they will feel warm....

.... well until it gets proper cold anyway.

The doubling effect is, of course, instantly cancelled out because the mirror also doubles the size of the room and, therefore, the amount of space to be heated.

Blimey does this mean I can double the size of my boat using a mirror, too? I can have a widebeam, YIPPEE!!

Presumably it works on locks too...

:)

MtB

• Greenie 1