Electrical problem

davidc

Featured Posts

I’m experiencing an electrical problem, all of a sudden my shore line power is switching off but no click and no noise of any kind, on checking no fuses have blowing or trip switches tripped, the battery charge is still charging so it’s not the shoreline or cable. First time I switch to inverter and everything worked when I switched back everything worked as well as if nothing had happened.

Second time I tested the earth leakage which had not tripped and when I tripped it manually and then reset it everything worked.

It has so far not happened a third time (Yet)

Any suggestion what to check when it happens again or has anyone had this problem.

Loose wire in one end of the cable connectors? That can give all sorts of odd symptoms.

I had thought of that but I would of thought that would have caused a trip switch to blow, but I'm bearing that in mind if it happens again I will stripped out the RCD and check all connections.

Not the RCD, look at the connections inside the plug & socket or whatever on the cable.

The RCD will only trip if there is an imbalance of current flow in the Line & Neutral. An open circuit may not trip it.

I would look at the boat end first because the boat probably moves as you walk around it so may re-establish contact.

Hi ya Davidc,

I would think the 'Supply Electrics' may warent a look,especially after all this rain ect.,is it just your supply affected ?.

Not the RCD, look at the connections inside the plug & socket or whatever on the cable.

The RCD will only trip if there is an imbalance of current flow in the Line & Neutral. An open circuit may not trip it.

I would look at the boat end first because the boat probably moves as you walk around it so may re-establish contact.

Actually Tony,,your suggestion seams much more likely.

I guess its a case of start shore supply end,& work through,plugging 1 thing in at a time !.

Hi ya Davidc,

I would think the 'Supply Electrics' may warent a look,especially after all this rain ect.,is it just your supply affected ?.

Actually Tony,,your suggestion seams much more likely.

I guess its a case of start shore supply end,& work through,plugging 1 thing in at a time !.

I would agree but what is throwing me is the battery charge stayed on.

It is plugged in to a socket on its own circuit off the A/C fuse box, which would lead me to think the problem is on the othere circuit

but if that was right re-setting RCD should have no effect or switch the A/C inverter switch ??

It would be worth checking that the inverter is not supplying the battery charger. If it is then it would explain the charger working.

The inverter is switched off when not need.

So I know battery charger is on shore supply all the time

Can you swap supply on to the Battery charger Socket for a short while, this may help identify a problem.

It's so annoying,most electrical problems take ages to find,moments to fix.

No as that circuit is only a double socket at the back of the boat.

next to the RCD unit and the fuse board.

In view of all the above. How many sockets "turn off"?

If its one then look at the connections in the back of the socket. If more than one check each socket and then those in the back of the mains distribution box. All with shoreline disconnected

have 3 sockets on the other circuit and items plugged in to them all lost power, still waiting for it to happen again so I can check further

I will strip down RCD fuse board checking connections tomorrow .

Thank you to all that helped

Just found the problem, electric went again so I stripped the RCD fuse box down the input Neutral wire to the RCD had melted the connection Why no idea will go to B&Q tomorrow and buy a new one and see what happens

Neutral is a "hot" wire in that it carries the full current under normal circumstances, and also literally the connections will get hot if poorly made (high resistance). I dare say its more likely to be a connection made to, rather than an internal fault with, an RCD within the consumer unit. Ferrules are a good idea since it will (should) be flexible 3 core cable used to connect this kind of thing up on a boat.

http://www.cle-electrical.co.uk/p/2437/un-insulated-bootlace-ferrules

Neutral is a "hot" wire in that it carries the full current under normal circumstances, and also literally the connections will get hot if poorly made (high resistance). I dare say its more likely to be a connection made to, rather than an internal fault with, an RCD within the consumer unit. Ferrules are a good idea since it will (should) be flexible 3 core cable used to connect this kind of thing up on a boat.

Well have replace the whole unit as I broke the unit box getting it out and you are correct who ever connect the wires as a whole did not clear the insulation cover back , so the connections where not clean contact.

Ok cool, looks like you have everything in hand. Don't be tempted to pay too much for the consumer unit, a garage consumer unit (2x MCBs and an RCD covering both) are available for about £12 on eBay, where a similar unit from a DIY shop is £40.

I understand but as I live aboard and my diesel heater is broke I've been relying on a oil filled heater so I can not wait to get the unit from ebay so I bought one from B&Q (ouch).

May I inject a note of caution here. This is a bit outside my area of expertise but there have been more than on example of supposedly CE marked RCDs & MCBs being down right dangerous and in now way capable of doing what they are supposed to. Until Ebay take responsibility for the fitness for purpose and legitimacy of stuff on their site I would rather pay £24.99 to Screwfix (Jan 13) than any price on Ebay. This is a safety issue that can lead to electrocution and fire if the equipment does not work as it should.

Paul is there a tool to use with these or do they crimp down with the screw in the terminal block?

With a tool, if you search for 'ferrule crimper' on Ebay, loads will come up from about £10 upwards.

For plain bootlace ferrules CPC have them and have free shipping at the moment so a good opportunity to stock up on some, sorting by price brings up the plain ones first:

http://cpc.farnell.com/crimp-ferrules-boot-lace/prl/results

cheers, Pete.
~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

May I inject a note of caution here. This is a bit outside my area of expertise but there have been more than on example of supposedly CE marked RCDs & MCBs being down right dangerous and in now way capable of doing what they are supposed to. Until Ebay take responsibility for the fitness for purpose and legitimacy of stuff on their site I would rather pay £24.99 to Screwfix (Jan 13) than any price on Ebay. This is a safety issue that can lead to electrocution and fire if the equipment does not work as it should.

Absolutely, I have seen more than one and have been offered "CE" marked stuff from China with no proper CE reference (the old China Export mark con)