How many takers for C&RT winter moorings

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

I have been corrected on a statement I previously made, and it seems the final issue of the T&Cs for the General Towpath Winter Mooring Permit now differs from earlier drafts that I got to see.....

I have just checked the relevant web-page, and it now says.....

So you can moor on a VM, but have to stick to the time limits for that VM. So if it were a 2-day one you could use it casually for 2 days, just like any other boater, it seems, and be subject to any no return rules.

This seems sensible, compared to the earlier drafts I saw originally.

That's how we understood it as well. We like to moor in the rough anyway so this winter permit suits us fine. Should we want an odd one or 2 days on a WM though all is well. This will come in handy when we have the on board generator fitted too as nice easy access will be required.

Also the theory that the rules were to stop people giving up Long Term Moorings for Winter Moorings does not make sense, as you have to give 3 months notice to vacate a C&ART LTM.

I vacated mine with two months' notice. Maybe things have changed in the last 18 months.

MtB

• 4 months later...

I just got an e-mail from CRT asking for feedback on our winter mooring experience.

Hello,

Following some significant changes to winter moorings in 2013/14, we’re now after some feedback and would really appreciate your input.

As you booked a winter mooring with us this year, we’re really keen to hear what you think of the new arrangements and how you think they could be improved for next year. We’ve created a survey which is live now and running until midday 31 March 2014, so please do take a few minutes to complete this at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WinterMoorings2013

And remember, if you have a winter permit that is due to expire at the end of March, you will need to move off of your winter mooring by April 1st!

Best wishes,
Canal & River Trust Winter Moorings Team

That last sentence, especially with the exclamation mark, reads to me like someone talking to a small child and telling them they've not to be naughty.

I'm actually quite affronted by it, it never entered our heads to stay on this stretch of unserviced towpath past the period we'd paid for - surely the very fact that we've paid the money proves that we care about the rules and abide by them

I can feel a very stroppy e-mail to CRT coming on and I think next winter we'll find ourselves a marina and put our money in their pockets instead of CRT's.

On a point of order wouldn't anybody who's permit expires on the 31st March then be allowed to stay at the exact same location for a further 14 days? or whatever any shorter restriction might be.

Assuming no shorter restriction applied at a particular site once the permit expires does not the normal '14 day rule' then kick in? Or if a shorter restriction applies you adhere to that one.

Just a thought for anybody not keen or able to move on straight away (and of course I could be wrong)

Edited by The Dog House

You are wrong. The T&C state you must move at the end of the period you can take your 14 days before

I agree with Ange the wording is not great

They do seem to have a problem with the composition of their communications to their customers. As said when this type of issue came up I wonder why they don't run stuff by a sample of boaters.

At least they have dropped the 'licence it or lose it' threat from the very paperwork you are using to licence your boat though.

That last sentence, especially with the exclamation mark, reads to me like someone talking to a small child and telling them they've not to be naughty.

I'm actually quite affronted by it, it never entered our heads to stay on this stretch of unserviced towpath past the period we'd paid for - surely the very fact that we've paid the money proves that we care about the rules and abide by them

The thing is Ange, however much you play by the rules and can't wait to move, there will be the same amount of piss takers.

I was in London yesterday and chatting to a few boaters who had WM's. They had already decided when their permit ran out they were going to start 14 days. Why anyone could want to stay in the same place they have just been for 5 months is beyond me, but some have a different mentality.

Personally I hope there are not too many changes to the Winter Mooring scheme for this year. I've just become a CC'er and while If I see a nice spot while I'm on my travels this summer, I will return there for the winter on a permit.

The thing is Ange, however much you play by the rules and can't wait to move, there will be the same amount of piss takers.

I was in London yesterday and chatting to a few boaters who had WM's. They had already decided when their permit ran out they were going to start 14 days. Why anyone could want to stay in the same place they have just been for 5 months is beyond me, but some have a different mentality.

Personally I hope there are not too many changes to the Winter Mooring scheme for this year. I've just become a CC'er and while If I see a nice spot while I'm on my travels this summer, I will return there for the winter on a permit.

The T&C of London Moorings were different and I think from memory they were very time specific unlike the General Towpath Moorings so without looking it up I do think that 14 after might be ok

On a point of order wouldn't anybody who's permit expires on the 31st March then be allowed to stay at the exact same location for a further 14 days? or whatever any shorter restriction might be.

Assuming no shorter restriction applied at a particular site once the permit expires does not the normal '14 day rule' then kick in? Or if a shorter restriction applies you adhere to that one.

Just a thought for anybody not keen or able to move on straight away (and of course I could be wrong)

When we arranged passage down to Liverpool to take up a winter mooring Wigan office specifically told us that we could have 14 days before and another 14 days after.

I just got an e-mail from CRT asking for feedback on our winter mooring experience.

Hello,

Following some significant changes to winter moorings in 2013/14, we’re now after some feedback and would really appreciate your input.

As you booked a winter mooring with us this year, we’re really keen to hear what you think of the new arrangements and how you think they could be improved for next year. We’ve created a survey which is live now and running until midday 31 March 2014, so please do take a few minutes to complete this at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WinterMoorings2013

And remember, if you have a winter permit that is due to expire at the end of March, you will need to move off of your winter mooring by April 1st!

Best wishes,

Canal & River Trust Winter Moorings Team

I can feel a very stroppy e-mail to CRT coming on and I think next winter we'll find ourselves a marina and put our money in their pockets instead of CRT's.

Yeah I noticed the wording too. Having read the rules of the winter mooring several times before purchasing, which I suspect most people did there wasn't really much need for that crass reminder. In fact It made me wonder it the survey was an excuse to get that particular message across.

Having said that I'm a big fan of the Winter Roving permit, so did fill out the survey in the positive. The fact they're asking for a survey bodes well that they havent actually dismissed it as they have proposals for a similar mooring permit. I really hope they keep it.

I was also a bit miffed by the wording but then thought, it's CaRT so to be expected..........

I did fill in the survey in the positive as I found the permit to my liking and hope it is continued next year without too much tinkering...

I think the exclamation mark is over the top and unnecessary but I don't see an issue with making it clear when the winter mooring permit ends and what you need to do by when. It has been BWs lack of clarity over these kind of issues in the past that has caused problems for CCers and others alike.

So I suggest you and all CCers who had an WMP take up the opportunity feedback about the WMP and if after reflection an exclamation mark still upsets you then feedback on that too.

I understand that last year, certainly in london, there were some boaters who stayed an extra 14 days after the period of their winter mooring had ended. CRT had not been clear then about this point. Consequently, they received criticism from other sections of the boating world for the "confusion" that their lack of clarity / inconsistency had caused. My guess ,this year, is that they feel under some pressure not to have a repeat of that situation, hence the firm reminders , exclamation marks etc. It's aimed at those who might consider extending their stay a bit longer (and perhaps also for the benefit of those who had criticised them last year to demonstrate that their concerns had been listened to ) . Inevitably, though, that will irritate customers who have paid for a winter mooring as it makes them feel unvalued.

CRT -even though i feel that they frequently work to the detriment of continuous cruisers - are often in an impossible position. Many decisions they make (or undertake to make) that will benefit one section of the boating community will - by their nature - upset another. Boaters with home moorings want very different things from continuous cruisers . ... and those hire boat companies with so much alleged clout often want different things again. There are not so many win / win situations if you are CRT. Poisoned chalice syndrome .

You are wrong. The T&C state you must move at the end of the period you can take your 14 days before

I agree with Ange the wording is not great

If you look at a lot of the written word from CaRT it does not always have the right punctuation or correct words. I think its not a policy thing but whoever was given the job of typing the letter.