How many takers for C&RT winter moorings

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

We were wondering what percentage of CC'rs will or have taken up the new C&RT winter moorings on the K&A or other parts of the network operating this system.

We can't apply until the 1st Nov and will only get a mooring offer if there's any allocations left from the first wave of applicants. I know the 1st is only a couple of days away but wanted to get a feel of possible take up.

Thanks for the replies. From this small pole I'm guessing it hasn't been oversubscribed, Well we should find out tomorrow.

We initially after some debate we were not going to bother, but stuff has happened with regard to my businesses and might have to spend a fair amount of time away from the boat over the next few months, so avoiding having to cruise to comply would be quite useful, although parting with £400+ for very little would be painful. Might be a case of suck and see.

Well it seems I was wrong although the reply from C&RT on this issue is somewhat confusing.

On initial application it stated we weren't eligible for the winter moorings. However if we re applied on the 1st Nov and there were still moorings available we could apply.

On doing this on the 1st this was the reply which I find extremely confusing.

Sorry...

You are not eligible for a general towpath permit or sites in London. However, we may have vacancies at any other designated sites which you are eligible to book. These sites will show on the mooring location list in the next step.

What I don't understand is it states we're not eligible when offered to apply. I accept that if all the moorings allocated were taken up then there's no more available. It that case why doesn't it state that instead of again saying not eligible

This information is also offered.

Winter moorings are on offer only to continuous cruisers registered with us as at 1 June 2013 and new continuous cruisers providing we have evidence you are genuinely new customers.

Permits for the selected visitor mooring sites (but not General Towpath or London sites) will also be available to all our other licence-holders from 1st November 2013, subject to availability.

What kind of nonsense is that, we have a licence, what more proof could we offer.

Anyone any ideas?

Tried phoning them all day Friday but engaged, really annoying.

Edited by Julynian

What kind of nonsense is that, we have a licence, what more proof could we offer.

So since when have you had a licensed boat in their waters, and at what date did you tell them you were becoming continuous cruisers, (if at all)?

Sorry if that's already stated somewhere, but it seems to be what is driving CRT's ruling on your eligibility....

So since when have you had a licensed boat in their waters, and at what date did you tell them you were becoming continuous cruisers, (if at all)?

Sorry if that's already stated somewhere, but it seems to be what is driving CRT's ruling on your eligibility....

We are licenced as CC'rs from end July

Not at all, that's the point I'm trying to make. I don't think they're turning us down a mooring permit on the basis of any availability, I think there's some kind of problem with the way they are describing us. We applied and ticked CC'ing on the licence application though.

Remembering we're members of the ACC I've e-mailed them and they're going to look into it for us. We've written to C&RT as well via e-mail so we should get some answers tomorrow.

We just wondered if any other members had a similar issue.

Well it seems I was wrong although the reply from C&RT on this issue is somewhat confusing.

On initial application it stated we weren't eligible for the winter moorings. However if we re applied on the 1st Nov and there were still moorings available we could apply.

On doing this on the 1st this was the reply which I find extremely confusing.

Sorry...

You are not eligible for a general towpath permit or sites in London. However, we may have vacancies at any other designated sites which you are eligible to book. These sites will show on the mooring location list in the next step.

What I don't understand is it states we're not eligible when offered to apply. I accept that if all the moorings allocated were taken up then there's no more available. It that case why doesn't it state that instead of again saying not eligible

This information is also offered.

Winter moorings are on offer only to continuous cruisers registered with us as at 1 June 2013 and new continuous cruisers providing we have evidence you are genuinely new customers.

Permits for the selected visitor mooring sites (but not General Towpath or London sites) will also be available to all our other licence-holders from 1st November 2013, subject to availability.

Anyone any ideas?

Tried phoning them all day Friday but engaged, really annoying.

You weren't registered as Continuous Cruisers on 1st June 2013 - instead you achieved that status with CaRT in July. That means in order to be eligible you need to be able to evidence that you're a new customer, I expect this rule is to prevent people renting expensive long term moorings thinking "sod it", giving up their mooring and applying for a cheaper winter one somewhere else instead. So if you've had any other sort of license before the CCing one in July, you won't meet that criteria.

Is your July license your first ever CaRT/BW license? if it is, then it sounds like an administrative error on CaRT's behalf.

You weren't registered as Continuous Cruisers on 1st June 2013 - instead you achieved that status with CaRT in July. That means in order to be eligible you need to be able to evidence that you're a new customer, I expect this rule is to prevent people renting expensive long term moorings thinking "sod it", giving up their mooring and applying for a cheaper winter one somewhere else instead. So if you've had any other sort of license before the CCing one in July, you won't meet that criteria.

Is your July license your first ever CaRT/BW license? if it is, then it sounds like an administrative error on CaRT's behalf.

I think BSP has this spot on.

If you only came onto CRT waters on 1st July, and were declared a cc-er from the outset, you should be able to get it.

If you held a CRT licence on 1st June, and that was not a cc-er licence, then I don't think you will be able to. Switching an existing licence from "home mooring declared" to "no home mooring declared" on 1st July would not qualify you as "new customer"

Undoubtedly, as BSP suggests, to protect the revenues of LTM providers who's berths might otherwise empty out for the winter months!

I think BSP has this spot on.

If you only came onto CRT waters on 1st July, and were declared a cc-er from the outset, you should be able to get it.

If you held a CRT licence on 1st June, and that was not a cc-er licence, then I don't think you will be able to. Switching an existing licence from "home mooring declared" to "no home mooring declared" on 1st July would not qualify you as "new customer"

Undoubtedly, as BSP suggests, to protect the revenues of LTM providers who's berths might otherwise empty out for the winter months!

Definately their intention but doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense as I believe you can get a winter mooring under vacant CRT long term moorings. So many rules and regulations being introduced its difficult to keep up.

Definately their intention but doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense as I believe you can get a winter mooring under vacant CRT long term moorings. So many rules and regulations being introduced its difficult to keep up.

Yes, but I think the pricing of the new "tow-path" winter mooring permit, (which largely prohibits you using VMs, etc, I think), is significantly less than for other CRT winter moorings options at a fixed location.

So it is that one that probably would most temp people to think they could save a lot of LTM fees by simply moving their boat onto a qualifying length of tow-path for the winter.

Not hard to see why they have put in the need to prove you are an established CC-er, really.

Hi BSP

We last had boat licence in 2005 to 2007 that was also a CCing licence. we then went on dry land until July 2013 where we re-licenced as CCers again with the same boat number.

So basically we had no licence of any kind prior to 2013 ie in 2012

I'm pretty sure there's a cock up somewhere.

Yes, but I think the pricing of the new "tow-path" winter mooring permit, (which largely prohibits you using VMs, etc, I think), is significantly less than for other CRT winter moorings options at a fixed location.

So it is that one that probably would most temp people to think they could save a lot of LTM fees by simply moving their boat onto a qualifying length of tow-path for the winter.

Not hard to see why they have put in the need to prove you are an established CC-er, really.

Fair point however I suspect that there are more boats going into marinas to winter , to access toilets, power etc than coming out to camp on the towpath. If you have paid for a marina or LTM mooring through the summer whilst you were travelling round why would you give it up to stay on he towpath in the winter. If cost was the issue I presume you would not have been in the marina in the first place.

To be fair the winter mooring regs don't seem that unreasonable

All sorted now

It seems there was some kind of glitch somewhere with regard to eligibility for winter mooring permits, we've now had a reply from C&RT which we don't fully understand, but the outcome is that we are now actually eligible to apply for winter mooring permit.

We also contacted the ACC and had a reply from John (cotswoldsman) at the ACC confirming there were some problems with regard to some CC'rs applying if registered after June 2013 He wrote to C&RT on our behalf as well and I'm impressed that C&RT has sorted this out by lunchtime today.

So if you're a CC'er and have been told when applying on line on or after the 1st Nov 2013 that you're not eligible for a winter mooring permit, it's highly likely that's incorrect and you actually are entitled. If you're a member of the ACC they seem to know about this problem so contacting them as well as C&RT might expedite things as they seem to be in communication with C&RT regarding this issue.

• Greenie 1

I have been corrected on a statement I previously made, and it seems the final issue of the T&Cs for the General Towpath Winter Mooring Permit now differs from earlier drafts that I got to see.....

I have just checked the relevant web-page, and it now says.....

Where you may NOT moor with a General Towpath Winter Mooring Permit

• Visitor moorings, unless as an occasional visitor complying with the time limits.
  • Within one kilometre of a long term mooring site or offline marina. If we receive specific evidence of breach of this condition, we will ask you to move; otherwise you risk forfeiting your permit.

So you can moor on a VM, but have to stick to the time limits for that VM. So if it were a 2-day one you could use it casually for 2 days, just like any other boater, it seems, and be subject to any no return rules.

This seems sensible, compared to the earlier drafts I saw originally.