thin plastic film 'double glazing'

silverbuttocks

Featured Posts

I just finished to stick the ALD*-film on. No condensation any more and warmer than before.

I cutted down the "hoppers" with a hacksaw so the ends are inside the framing.

At the kitchen windows I covered only the lower bits. I screwed and sealed a wooden bar to the base of the top windows in the size of the framing. So I still can open the tops when cooking.

Edited by berth

Hi

the magnetic strip came from a company called eclipse magnetics . 10 mm " self mating " - 30 m roll . £10+ vat

the acrylic from cutplasticsheeting.co.uk .

im v happy with the new windows and they work very well indeed,

cheers

:) many thanks chubby :)

• 3 weeks later...

We used Tesa film (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038JE7X6/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) last year.

Works brilliantly and quite easy to remove when the warm weather eventually came!

I ordered some of this and installed it last weekend. A bit of a fiddly job but the results are impressive. One pack covered 5 of my "bus style" windows and no longer a drop of condensation. My windows have "hopper style" tops which were easily removed (two screws). £10.70 very well spent.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone post any pics of this film?

Does it not just stick to the glass or it has to have a gap by attaching to the frame?

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable with NB windows and was hoping this might be viable on my grp cruiser with spray foam insulation.

Chaz

Nothing to see really, it's a clear sheet of plastic similar to the type of plastic used to package things. You heat it with a hair dryer and it pulls tight, Aldi do a kit 1.57metres x 2.13 metres film and 10.9 metres of double sided tape so enough for a couple of boat windows, yesterday they were flogging them off for £2.99 so I bought a couple.

K

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last-product-detail-page/ps/p/window-insulator-kit/

Does it not just stick to the glass or it has to have a gap by attaching to the frame?

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable with NB windows and was hoping this might be viable on my grp cruiser with spray foam insulation.

Chaz

the kit comes with a couple of sheets of film and roll of tape, measure piece plastic to fit window allowing overlap) , stick one side double sided tape to window frame, peel of backing of tape, stick film to tape ensuring all stuck neat and straight, blow hairdryer over it a few inches away and film tightens. done properly, you cannot see film. easy ;)

We have done this and it does work, we didn't do kitchen or bathroom as wanted to be able to open those when cooking or showering.

Chaz

It requires a gap between the glass and the film (It is stretched across the window frame and then made taut with heat)

Used the 'double glazing ' film for the first time this winter , very impressed . No condensation and warmer . From reading the previous post may be a bit of a devil to get the double sided tape off .I know you heat the film to install, the instructions on my pack said to heat the double sided tape with a hair dryer and pull gently to remove the tape . As for sticky stuff remover, try WD40 , I used to manage a jewellers and that what we used for sticky stuff . Bunny

I was 'visualizing' fixing thin perspex sheet...and the problems of making it adhere...

Could you not have some countersunk screws in the wooden window frame....and then use powerful neodymium magnets to hold the perspex to the screws.....maybe having the magnets on the outside of the thin perspex.?

You could have a slight 'lip' at the bottom to take the main weight of the perspex..then use the magnets to stop it falling over...

Removal would be a case of pulling the top magnets away from their grip on the screws..and then lifting he perspex off.

Is this the tape others are talking of ? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELF-ADHESIVE-MAGNETIC-TAPE-STRIP-5m-x-12-mm-VERY-STRONG-OFFCUT-OFFER-/291071332140?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item43c5340f2c

Just a thought..

Bob..the inventor...

Edited by Bobbybass

says its for dealing with heat, glare and UV but not condensation which is what I wanted to reduce so no , I would not use this

• In the winter, low-e (low emissivity) window films reflect interior generated heat back into the room, preventing and reducing expensive heat loss through glass to the outside. This helps the environment and compliance towards the revised Document ‘L’ of the Building Regulations. These films work in reverse in the summer, by rejecting unwanted glare, heat gain and ultra violet light

Chaz

• In the winter, low-e (low emissivity) window films reflect interior generated heat back into the room, preventing and reducing expensive heat loss through glass to the outside. This helps the environment and compliance towards the revised Document ‘L’ of the Building Regulations. These films work in reverse in the summer, by rejecting unwanted glare, heat gain and ultra violet light

Chaz

still a no, already hot enough with fire going and still doesn't stop condensation and I don't want tints, I want to see the greenery, the water and the sky and sun in its true colours ;)