Eberspacher D5W Servicing - 1st generation model

Chugging On By

Featured Posts

Hello All

First post to canalworld.

I bought a 57ft boat last year and I've been enjoying boating ever since but the maintenance problems are now starting to appear. I've had the usual to contend with like new starter / leasure batteries to replace, an overhaul of the starter motor, changing the engine filters etc which are easy enough but I now come up against the Eberspacher D5W and in need of some useful advice. A picture of the particular version I have is available below:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60105&hl=eberspacher

Last summer the D5W heating unit would turn on and off at will so I isolated it as a temporary measure. I've now just replaced the 7 day timer but the unit will not fire up. I've read various related threads, see the links below, and there is some great advice / links on fault finding and do intend to use this info.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45078&page=2

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Intro_1.html

I know there is a You Tube video on how to service an Eberspacher at the following link which is regularly offered but this is not the same unit as the one I have - see above.

Can anyone help me by providing a link to a service manual for this version of the D5W or instructional videos on it is serviced?

Any useful advice on fault finding, servicing, cheap spare part outlets etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Russell

I 'think' I had the same model as you have.

I used to buy parts from and Ebay guy...who knew them inside an out.

He was very cheap and could also supply/ give advice about 'clone' parts that were less money.

He hasn't been active on Ebay since July this year, but you could always send him an Ebay message and see if he can help.

His Ebay 'handle' is 4x4andy

I know the main unit pretty well..and may be able to give help if you are stuck..

They are pretty basic to strip down....and didn't have much in the way of seals and gaskets unlike the later models.

OK will be sending the workshop manual along with the trouble shooting guide and parts list shortly, I'm afraid they are not the modern actual PDFs which all new manuals are now available in but scans of paper copies, PDFs were unheard of when these things were made.

Actually I think computers were unheared of when they were made.blush.pngblush.png

NMEA

Thank you for the kind gesture. I''d certainly be grateful for this info. However, as a newbie I have to make 5 posts to the CW Forums before I can send you a PM so as soon as I've done this I be back in touch. Meantime, your patience is appreciated.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...