Cost of Plating

GlenBlk

Featured Posts

What about plate thickness ? I assume this must be a factor in pricing.

My narrowboat has been overplated with 5mm plate, why didn't they use 6mm ? Surely the extra 6mm isn't that much expense and gives another mill on the side ?

Also I have seen overplating with 4mm advertised. As insurers use 4mm as the minimum thickness surely this is pretty short sighted as it won't be too long before the boat is uninsurable and will require replating again ?

Or am I missing something ?

What about plate thickness ? I assume this must be a factor in pricing.

My narrowboat has been overplated with 5mm plate, why didn't they use 6mm ? Surely the extra 6mm isn't that much expense and gives another mill on the side ?

Also I have seen overplating with 4mm advertised. As insurers use 4mm as the minimum thickness surely this is pretty short sighted as it won't be too long before the boat is uninsurable and will require replating again ?

Or am I missing something ?

I'M not being funny but why didn't you tell them what thickness you wanted rather than leaving it up to them?

I am not an expert but weight comes into play too as by plating you are adding extra weight so maybe that extra 1mm amounts to ex amount of weight making the boat sit lower in the water.

I believe 4mm is the minimum for fully comp insurance any thinner you can only insure it for fire and theft so if it sinks your are not covered but then I would imagine its easier to sink a 10mm plastic boat than a 3mm steel boat on collision unless there is an area of weakness on a steel hull.

If its a Springer they use thinner plate as its easier to bend so I'M told.

It is a narrowboat - - not a widebeam or a Dutch barge, (isn't it?)

Narrowboat.

Edited by GlenBlk

I'M not being funny but why didn't you tell them what thickness you wanted rather than leaving it up to them?

I am not an expert but weight comes into play too as by plating you are adding extra weight so maybe that extra 1mm amounts to ex amount of weight making the boat sit lower in the water.

I believe 4mm is the minimum for fully comp insurance any thinner you can only insure it for fire and theft so if it sinks your are not covered but then I would imagine its easier to sink a 10mm plastic boat than a 3mm steel boat on collision unless there is an area of weakness on a steel hull.

If its a Springer they use thinner plate as its easier to bend so I'M told.

Narrowboat.

It had alreadybeen replated when I bought the boat so didn'\t have the choice.

I'm still curious about the use of gettting a boat replated by 4mm plate when this is supposed to be the minimum thickness for insurance. Surely you want a bit extra to give you a bit of leeway.

It had alreadybeen replated when I bought the boat so didn'\t have the choice.

I'm still curious about the use of gettting a boat replated by 4mm plate when this is supposed to be the minimum thickness for insurance. Surely you want a bit extra to give you a bit of leeway.

Ahh right I see what you mean now.

Yes you are right in what you say but perhaps there was a reason for it like weight and or being able to bend the steel.

Ahh right I see what you mean now.

Yes you are right in what you say but perhaps there was a reason for it like weight and or being able to bend the steel.

Forgot to mention it's only 5mm on the sides whereas the 'Bendy' bits at the bow and stern are in 6mm which is a bit bizzarre.

Maybe they ran out of 6mm and used 5mm instead ?

Or ran out of cash to use 6mm all rouind ?

I think your theory sounds the most likely that it was done in 5mm to lesson the weight.