Possible severe weather warning for Monday 28th.

Delta9

Featured Posts

Stupid question coming up.......

I'm going away on Monday for the week (Norther France incidentally), before leaving the boat for the week is there anything I should bear in mind with the storm warnings and expected weather? I'm on a canal not a river.

When I have to leave the boat for a week at a time I keep having dreams that I'm going to come back to it sunk. Do these go away after time?

@junior -

on a canal all should be fine. Just make sure your boat is securely moored and well tied up and secure things that could be blown away.

Canals can flood if they are canalised sections of rivers or they can be overwhelmed by flooding from adjacent rivers, but it's less common.

If you post a rough indication of where the boat will be moored you will likely get advice specific to the location.

Edited by The Dog House

On a canal all should be fine. Just make sure your boat is securely moored and well tied up and secure things that could be blown away.

Canals can flood if they are canalised sections of rivers or they can be overwhelmed by flooding from adjacent rivers, but it's less common.

If you post a rough indication of where the boat will be moored you will likely get advice specific to the location.

GU PaddingonArm, which I believe is a 20 mile pound so not likely to flood I shouldn't think. I'd just hate to be the cause of a catastrophe based on my own naivety.

GU PaddingonArm, which I believe is a 20 mile pound so not likely to flood I shouldn't think. I'd just hate to be the cause of a catastrophe based on my own naivety.

Somebody who better knows the location will be better able to advise.

Sounds low risk to me,

is there anybody nearby who you could ask to keep a lookout for your boat?

When I have to leave the boat for a week at a time I keep having dreams that I'm going to come back to it sunk. Do these go away after time?

The fears decrease over time but even after 5 years it's still a relief when we return to the boat to find it's still where we left it, unmolested. My biggest fear was always vandalism, but (touch wood) we've left it many, many times now for up to 2 weeks and had no problems at all :)

We've had the Craftinsure email. I'd add to the earlier comments the advisability of keeping clear of large trees when mooring ahead of severe weather.

We've seen trees down many times in high winds, especially when the ground is wet and soft after lots of rain. Heavy snow can also increase the risk of trees falling, though I don't think that is expected just yet!

The British:

Not happy to have one of the most benign climates in the world. Not just that though. No active volcanos, little likelihood of an impending disaster by earthquake. No poisonous spiders, few poisonous snakes, no dangerous wild animals. In short, if you exclude the dangers other humans may pose, one of the safest places on earth.

And yet; barely a puff of wind is predicted; everyone starts jumping up and down in mild panic. Official warnings are issued. Amber or red apparently, by the met office. They are issued that regularly that an outsider might think that Britain is subjected to regular cyclones and tornados.

And then, we have one nice day in spring, all the mini skirts come out accompanied by goose pimpled legs. A month later, when it hits 25 degrees, everyone is moaning because they can't sleep at night. But then when autumn sets in, more doom, only nasty cold weather to come.

You have to live outside Britain for a while to realise how obsessed we are with the weather. Elsewhere, where the weather is usually much more extreme, it's barely worth a mention. It's just weather. It happened, it happens, it will happen. There's not much more to say, perhaps move onto something interesting.

• Greenie 1

The British:

Not happy to have one of the most benign climates in the world. Not just that though. No active volcanos, little likelihood of an impending disaster by earthquake. No poisonous spiders, few poisonous snakes, no dangerous wild animals. In short, if you exclude the dangers other humans may pose, one of the safest places on earth.

And yet; barely a puff of wind is predicted; everyone starts jumping up and down in mild panic. Official warnings are issued. Amber or red apparently, by the met office. They are issued that regularly that an outsider might think that Britain is subjected to regular cyclones and tornados.

And then, we have one nice day in spring, all the mini skirts come out accompanied by goose pimpled legs. A month later, when it hits 25 degrees, everyone is moaning because they can't sleep at night. But then when autumn sets in, more doom, only nasty cold weather to come.

You have to live outside Britain for a while to realise how obsessed we are with the weather. Elsewhere, where the weather is usually much more extreme, it's barely worth a mention. It's just weather. It happened, it happens, it will happen. There's not much more to say, perhaps move onto something interesting.

You still felt moved enough to write quite a lot about it though.wink.pngrolleyes.gif

• Greenie 1

That made me chuckle, just finished work and after a mild windy day, got moi washing off the line just before the heavens opened. Its traditional to natter about the weather, like a good roast beef and Yorkshire Puds with thick onion gravy sunday dinner lol ;)

Edited by tree