Broad Locks v's Narrow Locks

Dharl

Featured Posts

Hello,

another possible stupid question, so please feel free to point me in the right direction....

I have seen on a few posts some people saying that Narrow Locks are easier to work than a broad lock (when it is just a single boat). Have only been on broad locks so far in my boating career, and most times been lucky to have a 2nd craft in company.

However when working as a single boat have found that only need to open one gate either side to enter / leave BUT have seen that on a Narrow lock you would have to open BOTH of the bottom lock gates? Again if you are mob handed then not an issue, but we are planning to do more boating with just the two us and surely this would mean extra gate openings?

ie Broad Lock single boat, Open 1 gate, drive boat in, close gate and set paddles. reverse to exit. But on a narrow lock, open first gate, cross over to other side and open second gate, drive boat in, close 2nd gate then cross back to close first gate, set paddles etc.

The question for the panel (see there is one here) is which type of lock is easier to work as a single boat with a small crew?

Definitely single locks.

You've perhaps not come across some of the big double lock when even the both of you cant shut the bloody gates!

Single locks are fun, you can also hop across the bottom gates if you're brave/fit enough.

Your partner can be sent of to get the next lock ready and leave you close the gates, going up or down a flight.

We must be Olympic contender on some of the lock flights.

There are only the two of us 95% of the time.

But don't get giddy - locks are still the most dangerous aspect of narrow boating

Alex

Got to be single locks:

The boat is easier to control as there is nowhere for it to go in terms of width

They should be quicker to fill and empty

Some of the double locks can be a right bugger to open and be quite fierce with gate paddles and ground paddles which need opening at certain times

You can walk across the bottom gates easily enough - don't do this unless you are comfortable with this

Single locks easier by far. Unless lock is very deep the gates are easy to move, the bottom gates aren't leaking like a sieve and the speed the boat rises compared to a leaky broad lock is incredible. Everything about their design is tailored to narrowboat use, I even love the way the boat magically moves back just enough to allow gates to open when lock is empty. I think you can tell I'm a fan!

I see that you are a hire boater for now. Hire your next boat on the Oxford. Have fun with the single locks. Then make your own mind up.

I've moored on the Oxford for several years so I am biased!

Where have you hired on broad canals? Many (most? all?) hire companies will tell their clients to open both gates when negotiating broad locks, because lots of inexperienced steerers will wear the gates away if they don't manage to get through a single gate without touching, thus causing leaky lock gates.

It also depends whether you are going up or down, and the length of the boat: roping up is almost essential when going up a broad lock, especially with a shorter boat.

And the number of crew. Singlehanded or two crew, then narrow locks are easier overall, but with more it doesn't make much difference.

Hello,

another possible stupid question, so please feel free to point me in the right direction....

I have seen on a few posts some people saying that Narrow Locks are easier to work than a broad lock (when it is just a single boat). Have only been on broad locks so far in my boating career, and most times been lucky to have a 2nd craft in company.

However when working as a single boat have found that only need to open one gate either side to enter / leave BUT have seen that on a Narrow lock you would have to open BOTH of the bottom lock gates? Again if you are mob handed then not an issue, but we are planning to do more boating with just the two us and surely this would mean extra gate openings?

ie Broad Lock single boat, Open 1 gate, drive boat in, close gate and set paddles. reverse to exit. But on a narrow lock, open first gate, cross over to other side and open second gate, drive boat in, close 2nd gate then cross back to close first gate, set paddles etc.

The question for the panel (see there is one here) is which type of lock is easier to work as a single boat with a small crew?

Definitely single locks and the reasons have already been explained by other responses. Although I'm sure most people, including me, have done the one gate only on double locks trick,it is frowned on in some circles because of the potential to wear a groove in the gate which is left closed, no matter how good a boat handler you are. Next time you are at a double lock, look at where the leaks are and quite often they are exactly where a boats rubbing band has worn it down.

Cheers

Howard

For non single handers you don't need however to fully open both gates.

Fully open one and get a crew member to part open the other.

(Posted just in case single gating is condemned in all circumstances)

Broad locks are more fun if you can lock up or down with another boat. The best way is usually for both boats to enter the lock together (though you can't always convince your fellow boater). Otherwise narrow locks are definitely easier (and driving in is fun too: I always think it is like threading a needle.)

The best way is usually for both boats to enter the lock together (though you can't always convince your fellow boater).

And you wouldn't convince me, either. I like to know that my boat is under my control, not partially influenced by someone else.

And you don't need to open both gates if one follows the other in (though you can't always convince your fellow boater).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I actually prefer drving in together with another boat into broad locks - it prevents the problems asscoaited with the first boat drifting into the middle as the second boat approaches. But if the locks are in a flight then it's even better to breast the pair up - frees up another person to lockwheel and gives someone the opportunity to develop their steering skill. And watching oncoming boats wonder where to go is always amusing.

If it goes wrong, it's no worse than messing it up yourself; the issue then is being able to split the boats up from the apparently over/in-compentent steerer without causing offence...

As always thanks for the panel for their experience and advise!

I must say we must have been lucky with the broad locks so far, the only gate we have struggled with so far was the Bath Deep Lock on the K&A.

Have booked next trip on Eastern end of K&A for beginning of next year. ( then will have completed the whole canal with the exception of the Caen Hill.....) but look at doing Oxford Canal later in the year!

Where is better North or Southern Section of the Oxford? Was thinking of hiring from Gayton.

It was always a great relief to get to the first narrow lock at Burton on Trent after those bar stewards of locks on the lower T&M.

Too true- we used to moor in Shardlow and a couple of those double locks were tough to shut and there was always an audience at Shenstone as well

As always thanks for the panel for their experience and advise!

I must say we must have been lucky with the broad locks so far, the only gate we have struggled with so far was the Bath Deep Lock on the K&A.

Have booked next trip on Eastern end of K&A for beginning of next year. ( then will have completed the whole canal with the exception of the Caen Hill.....) but look at doing Oxford Canal later in the year!

Where is better North or Southern Section of the Oxford? Was thinking of hiring from Gayton.

Gayton is on the Grand Union, if you want to do the Oxford then why not hire from one of the hire bases around Napton/Braunston. The South Oxford has all the locks, so would probably be the way to choose.

The North Oxford is interesting in parts, rather tedious in others. South from Braunston or Napton would be the way to go, or North from the outskirts of Oxford. For the former, check Napton Narrowboats, for the latter, Oxfordshire Narrowboats, both are companies with good reputations.

Wherever you go, if you find a more charming flight of locks than the five at Claydon, do let me know.

Some of us dont have a choice and have to use wide locks as our boats are a bit too chubby for narrow locks rolleyes.gif

The only gates I have encountered which I couldnt move were Kegworth Deep and Linton (before they replaced the gates) and in these instances Liam worked the gates and I drove the boat. Not a great inconvenience.

Was thinking of hiring from Gayton so would have an opportunity to directly compare broad locks on the GU to the Narrow ones on the OXford. Guess hiring from Rugby might give me the same option.........

Anyway nothing set in stone at present! :)

Will check out both those companies, have used ABC twice so far this year and been very impressed with their craft, bases and staff.

Definitely single locks and the reasons have already been explained by other responses. Although I'm sure most people, including me, have done the one gate only on double locks trick,it is frowned on in some circles because of the potential to wear a groove in the gate which is left closed, no matter how good a boat handler you are. Next time you are at a double lock, look at where the leaks are and quite often they are exactly where a boats rubbing band has worn it down.

Cheers

Howard

I even had a Thames Lock Keeper wave me in through a single this week.

roping up is almost essential when going up a broad lock, especially with a shorter boat.

????????????

We never use ropes in any way when on our own in broad locks, (either with 40 foot or 50 foot boat).

I'd argue the shorter the boat the further you can stay away from the top gate when going uphill, and hence from the influence of the paddles.

Of course, the sequence you open top paddles has a lot to do with whether the boat "behaves" or gets thrown about the lock.

????????????

We never use ropes in any way when on our own in broad locks, (either with 40 foot or 50 foot boat).

I'd argue the shorter the boat the further you can stay away from the top gate when going uphill, and hence from the influence of the paddles.

Of course, the sequence you open top paddles has a lot to do with whether the boat "behaves" or gets thrown about the lock.

Agree.

????????????

Of course, the sequence you open top paddles has a lot to do with whether the boat "behaves" or gets thrown about the lock

I presume that you open the ground paddles on the same side as the boat first. Try that on the deep locks at the bottom of the T&M & your boat will hit the wall on the other side of the lock very quickly. All well & good if you know to open the offside first, otherwise ropes are rather useful.

????????????

I'd invite you onto the Calder & Hebble, where the behaviour of the water on opening the paddles is not only unpredictable, but different on every lock. I am of course aware of the theoretical best sequence of paddle opening. It simply doesn't work here, even on those locks that do have ground paddles. Very rarely does my boat 'behave' , however the paddles are opened. It is therefore on a centre rope to stop it banging across to the opposite side.

So I'm very circumspect on broad locks even when away from home territory.

Was thinking of hiring from Gayton so would have an opportunity to directly compare broad locks on the GU to the Narrow ones on the OXford. Guess hiring from Rugby might give me the same option.........

Anyway nothing set in stone at present! smile.png

If you hire from Gayton you could head off down the Northampton Arm for 17 pretty narrow locks, then do a few broad river locks with and without guillotine bottom gates, turn round and come back then go left at the junction, though the tunnel and experience the broad canal flight at Stoke Bruerne.

This is not a serious suggestion, but it would provide you with lots of variety!

MP.