Baffled by CART moorings procedure

Athy

Featured Posts

I was interested in a particular mooring, but it stated that in that spot there is a ledge, so a shallow draft would be needed. From what you say, someone could bid on it and the first time another of the moorers chugged off, move into their space and leave them suffering the ledge on their return.

Casp'

I went to view a mooring near Thrupp earlier in the year, and when I got there and spoke to some resident moorers to ask what the spot was, they pointed to a 100ft or so space further up and told me that one 50ft boat that was currently out to get water had one of them, but was thinking of moving to the other one.

When I went up to that spot, the two fifty feet lengths were very different in as much as that one was much shadier than the other, and so would not have worked with solar panels.

I waited for the out to get water boat bods to come back and asked them which spot they were having, and they ummed and ahh'd a bit and said they hadn't decided. I explained that I wasn't arsed which, but if I was going to make a bid I needed to know which beforehand, and they ultimately picked.

I called CRT about a week later to ask how I could establish what bit I'd get and explained about this convo, and the moorings manager told me that once I got into the space (whichever it was) it was mine and I could complain if someone nicked it, but until that time, they would guarantee a 50ft continuous space (the advertised length) within the stretch of moorings listed, but which one I got would not be guarantee'd.

She also said that once you have your mooring spot, other boaters can move within the space left/swap places if they want to and all of them are happy, but no one can get away with forcing you to swap spots or nick your space when you were out; however, CRT can move you freely within that advertised stretch of moorings if they need to, and you have to comply; she also said this is generally only done if everyone has spread too much to fit a new boat in, or if they are combining two shorter spots into one longer one, which requires the existing boats to move up.

I am not sure if she was quoting passage and verse of the exactly mandated CRT rules, or if that was just how she runs it in her area.

PS, I also asked if, should I win a 50ft mooring for my 30ft boat, was I entitled to demand ten feet clear on either side of my boat, as I was paying for it... She would not commit to an answer!

Edited by Starcoaster

Hi, Starry, that is an interesting question, and I think the answer is technically "yes", but good luck trying to claim the extra feet...

oh, just to add, when I said mooring managers were being phased out I meant the local person living on the moorings who was deputised by BW to check things out and keep things in order in return for reduced or no mooring fees. I didn't mean the person in the CART office who hasn't got a clue what's happening in reality.

Hello,

Hello,

Oh dear me, At this time on the site where I'm moored there is a 'space' up for auction. It is a fully residential spot. On the shroppie. However there is a small issue with the listing in that CART are advertising 69 feet. The only space, recently vacated, Just fitted a 45 foot boat. There is plenty of space at one end for a longer boat BUT it is not adjacent to mooring rings, or an electricity point.

Where I usualy moor there is a Card pre-payment meter for electricity. If I move I want my credit to move with me. or be compensated. My mooring has a BT landline with high speed broadband, for which I pay. I would not be happy if someone else plugged in to it. I would be responsible for the phone bill and anything they downloaded (e.g. pirated films).

I have tried to contact cart, but there not answering my calls. I have discused this with the other moorers, they also object to moving as it would make access to the advertised facilities (electricity,water) difficult.

Trev

PS, I also asked if, should I win a 50ft mooring for my 30ft boat, was I entitled to demand ten feet clear on either side of my boat, as I was paying for it... She would not commit to an answer!

Of course you can, because you would be within the terms of the mooring to sell your 30 foot boat, and replace it with a 50 foot one.

Where we keep Sickle, I bid on, and was paying for 46 feet for a 40 foot boat. Subsequently part of the mooring bank collapsing has made everybody have to squash into the minimum length they will fit in. Eventually, after no apparent guarantee from CRT that they would be repairing the collapse, I challenged this situation, and now pay for just the 40 feet I'm now using.

Also "moorings managers" are being phased out.

Do you mean "moorings managers", (i.e. office staff)

Or do you mean "mooring wardens", (i.e. people at the site)

Whilst the latter are admittedly largely being done away with, (most gone already in our area), I really can't see how they can get rid of the former?

Also.......

If you bid on a 70' mooring, you pay for a 70' mooring for the term of the lease (3 years)

After that, you can opt to only pay for the length of the boat that you have and it reverts to the 'local' rate/m irrespective of what you bid

Also.......

If you bid on a 70' mooring, you pay for a 70' mooring for the term of the lease (3 years)

After that, you can opt to only pay for the length of the boat that you have and it reverts to the 'local' rate/m irrespective of what you bid

Interesting I didn't know that.

Hi, Alan, Yes, as I said in my reply to Starry, I realised I misspoke... I did not mean the CART folk in offices were being phased out. I meant the folks on the ground who actually knew how much space there was, and who usually moored where and who needed to get moved nearer the access because of a hip op... etc, etc. There was one on my old mooring, and it was really useful to have him, until he was "retired" by BW. No such person on my new mooring, though when I won the auction the joining papers sent by BW said I should contact the Moorings Warden, who would tell me exactly where my spot was. I wandered around the mooring questioning everyone I met and they just shrugged and pointed : "I think there might be some space that way..."

I was interested in a particular mooring, but it stated that in that spot there is a ledge, so a shallow draft would be needed. From what you say, someone could bid on it and the first time another of the moorers chugged off, move into their space and leave them suffering the ledge on their return.

Casp'

Or, if they've got a boat with a shallow draft, be reasonably sure that nobody will have nicked their space when they disappear for a month or two..

Bye!

John.

(Bloomin' keybored....)

Edited by John Williamson 1955