We've finally gone and done it!!!

Nic&Ann

Featured Posts

For the last 20ish years we have had 12 different hire boat holidays doing various rings and rivers and once on the Canal de Midi,and for the last couple of years we have looked at various boats but never had the bottle to take the plunge.

In September we had a lovely week on a boat hired from Cherwell Valley on the Stratford Canal and we planned on visiting a couple of brokers on our journey back to our home in Yeovil but after viewing half a dozen boats none seemed to fit the bill and we were about to leave when the man said,hang on here a minute I'll just get another set of keys to show you another and as soon as we stepped on board that was it,it just clicked and she felt just right,put down a deposit,subject to the survey,and now 6 weeks later we are the proud owner of NB Elizabeth Austin and keep her at The Droitwich Spa marina.She is a 46ft Cruiser stern built in 1995 and 1 owner from new,a local and been very well cared for.We had or first trip on her last week down to Droitwich & and up to the Worcester & Birmingham,not enough time to do the ring on the Severn,but various passing boaters recognised her,put the thumbs up and wished us well.

Its a 2 hours + trip from door to door up the M5 so it's 1 long weekend a month and high days and high days and holidays for now and in a few years when we retire,March- October,but for now we unfortunately both have to work.Roll on Nov 9th for our next visit ???

For the last 20ish years we have had 12 different hire boat holidays doing various rings and rivers and once on the Canal de Midi,and for the last couple of years we have looked at various boats but never had the bottle to take the plunge.

In September we had a lovely week on a boat hired from Cherwell Valley on the Stratford Canal and we planned on visiting a couple of brokers on our journey back to our home in Yeovil but after viewing half a dozen boats none seemed to fit the bill and we were about to leave when the man said,hang on here a minute I'll just get another set of keys to show you another and as soon as we stepped on board that was it,it just clicked and she felt just right,put down a deposit,subject to the survey,and now 6 weeks later we are the proud owner of NB Elizabeth Austin and keep her at The Droitwich Spa marina.She is a 46ft Cruiser stern built in 1995 and 1 owner from new,a local and been very well cared for.We had or first trip on her last week down to Droitwich & and up to the Worcester & Birmingham,not enough time to do the ring on the Severn,but various passing boaters recognised her,put the thumbs up and wished us well.

Its a 2 hours + trip from door to door up the M5 so it's 1 long weekend a month and high days and high days and holidays for now and in a few years when we retire,March- October,but for now we unfortunately both have to work.Roll on Nov 9th for our next visit

What! no sick days? sick.gif

Steve

We know how you feel we have just bought our first narrow boat in preparation to retire, we have just spent the last 10 days bringing her home from Mercia Marina, had a great trip even though it rained for two days, we got back before the weather turned, we still have that smug grin on our faces, enjoy.

We know how you feel we have just bought our first narrow boat in preparation to retire, we have just spent the last 10 days bringing her home from Mercia Marina, had a great trip even though it rained for two days, we got back before the weather turned, we still have that smug grin on our faces, enjoy.

Congratulations on your first boat,your right,we both have got smug grins and as said before,still pinching our self :-) :-)

Edited by Nic&Ann

Congratulations, we have just had our first week fully on our new boat and I just DO NOT want to go back to our bricks and mortar. I totally love it on the boat. I love it in the marina. I just love it. I hope you enjoy as much as I do, cus I love it. ;)))

Congrats, the World is now your Lobster.

Phil

We watch Friends too!

Ahh, I remember them days. (8 years ago) It's like your first love, it's all magical.

Congrats. We are on a 2nd boat now and looking to really spread out wings now the shackles of everyday life (accept aging mothers) permit.

I would move onboard in a heartbeat. Indeed I spend so much time on our (my) boat my wife thinks I do actually live there. Even facebook has my location as the boat not my bricks as my home area.

Many people have a holiday home, just ours is floating. Enjoy it all you can.

Congratulations! It's the best feeling, the first trip on your own boat.

We've decided this weekend that we are going to have to sell ours in the New Year, which we are very sad about. I know it's the right decision as it will ease the financial burden considerably, but I'm totally gutted :( However, we have had several years of great fun & happiness which is what it's all about.

Enjoy every second of it! :)

We've decided this weekend that we are going to have to sell ours in the New Year, which we are very sad about. I know it's the right decision as it will ease the financial burden considerably, but I'm totally gutted :( However, we have had several years of great fun & happiness which is what it's all about.

Enjoy every second of it! :)[/

How sad that your selling,it must of been really hard to decide but at least you will have some happy memories.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

HI Nic&Ann,

Congratulations! We are going through the same sort of thing, although we are returning to the cut after a 6 year interlude on the Norfolk Broads. Our survey is tomorrow so fingers crossed.

We have been looking at two marinas, Crick which we have used before, and Droitwich which looks great and has the benefit of being a new cruising ground for us. My concern re the latter is its proximity to the M5. The motorway is Ideal for getting there but on those lazty days spent in the marina or when working on the boat in the marina is not the M5 noise a bit much? We are going up there later in the week to have a look and listen but any views would be appreciated.

Sorry to wander off topic.

Look forward to bumping into you down at Droitwich! We have been at the marina on our new boat for the last few days! Had to come back home today to do some house viewings.. Need to get the house sold. Adore the Marina life.

In reply to post re noise at droitwich. I hadn't noticed it at all until yesterday morning. You can hear traffic but to be honest it's not a traffic type of noise if that makes sense. There is a lovely easy going relaxed feel to the marina.

Happy days everyone. :-)

Thanks Jus11972. Our project seems to get bigger as whilst wandering around the area we fell over Hanbury Wharf Residential Park and viewed a couple of places there. They are excellent and my only concern was the M5 noise. As the park is further away from the M5 than the marina it might be ok then...hope so. Quite fancy living at Hanbury Wharf with the boat in the Marina. We can all meet up for a beer!

Don't know the cruising area very well. Is it lock free in the immediate vicinity? I quite like easy days out on the boat sometimes :-)

Edited by Traveller

We've decided this weekend that we are going to have to sell ours in the New Year, which we are very sad about. I know it's the right decision as it will ease the financial burden considerably, but I'm totally gutted sad.png However, we have had several years of great fun & happiness which is what it's all about.

Enjoy every second of it! smile.png[/

How sad that your selling,it must of been really hard to decide but at least you will have some happy memories.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Thanks - I don't feel bad now I've made the decision. Will probably feel much worse once we've sold it - but H has agreed that the first thing we'll do is book a boating holiday cheers.gif