NCP to replace CART?

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

CaRT have started this all ready. Market Harborough leisure moorings in the basin now have a restriction on then that new contracts are only for boat not using solid fuel. Market Harborough is not even a smokeless zone.

you might need to get a bit more involved unfortunately, I don't think market harborough is in London last time I looked anyway

Regards kris

Islington Council and its Councillors should be ashamed of themselves for not properly tackling this problem and laying the blame at CaRT's door. Yes, the clean air act excludes boats but this act is only concerned with what is burned, it doesn't consider the effect of the smoke (or noise) on other people. There is another piece of legislation here which could be used, and which local authorities have a duty to enforce; the Environmental Protection Act, which defines what a Statutory Nuisance is. This link https://www.gov.uk/statutory-nuisance gives more information. This act compels the LA to take action if residents are being affected by smoke and noise.

Also, the anti-social behaviour act gives Councils powers with regards to noise, abusive behaviour, harrassment etc.

I'm not passing judgement on what should be done here, I'm just saying that the Council have let their own residents down by failing to address their concerns and then blaming CaRT for not taking action.

• Greenie 2

So 118 people are pulling the strings of Islington Council. There are apparantly in excess of 200,000 people who live in Islington. It might be interesting to know who these 118 are and why they exert so much influence in relation to the small percentage of the population.

When I move house I have a look round the proposed new area for things like motorways, factorys, smelly canals with dodgy characters etc, and if I find them I make a choice about what I do. Then put up with it, rather than complain.

This is all a bit like buying a pretty cottage in the country and complaining about the chickens next door.

Islington Council and its Councillors should be ashamed of themselves for not properly tackling this problem and laying the blame at CaRT's door. Yes, the clean air act excludes boats but this act is only concerned with what is burned, it doesn't consider the effect of the smoke (or noise) on other people. There is another piece of legislation here which could be used, and which local authorities have a duty to enforce; the Environmental Protection Act, which defines what a Statutory Nuisance is. This link https://www.gov.uk/statutory-nuisance gives more information. This act compels the LA to take action if residents are being affected by smoke and noise.

Also, the anti-social behaviour act gives Councils powers with regards to noise, abusive behaviour, harrassment etc.

I'm not passing judgement on what should be done here, I'm just saying that the Council have let their own residents down by failing to address their concerns and then blaming CaRT for not taking action.

clapping.gif

Bob