Local boater dies on boat

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

We returned to the boat yesterday evening and was chatting to another boat owner.

A few minutes into the conversation he asked had we heard about the boater who died on Tuesday night. It appears this poor chap aged 65 keeled over and died of a heart attack whilst leaning over to light the stove.

I thought I would mention this as the boat was called Nordic Dream the deceased owners name was Alex. I remember the boat name from somewhere so we have been searching the forum.

Lynn has just discovered a member called liberty.viner with a boat of the same name sold in 2004. I wonder if it's the same boat. It's a lovely boat in painted bright Yellow & Black and very distinctive.

The boat was moored several boats along the cut and It always caught my attention, never met the owner though. Poor chat had just retired apparently.

R.I.P Alex

Sad story....and another reminder that we should all enjoy life as much as possible BEFORE we retire.

Seconded. Which is why we've embarked on this adventure before we can afford it.

RIP Alex.

• Greenie 1

Seconded. Which is why we've embarked on this adventure before we can afford it.

RIP Alex.

'Thirded'...

I have had several friends who have told me how much they have put by to enjoy life when they retire...age 65..and they never made it.

I have always 'jumped' and worried about the consequences later...once lived in an old black cab in Finsbury park...and only ate every 3 days....(ahh..that boiled savaloy tasted good!)

I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Edited by Bobbybass

Sad story....and another reminder that we should all enjoy life as much as possible BEFORE we retire.

So very true. how many people have we all met over the years who are " Gunna does" that never actualy get to do anything.

Tim

Glenda got cold feet as we were about to commit to buying our pair, I told her if we didn't do it then, we might never get another chance.

At 61 years old I worry I'll fall off the perch before I can go off around the cut. I even said we might have to part.

She changed her mind, we bought the boats, and it has changed our lives, money is very tight and our to do list grows each time we fix something.

But we wouldn't change it for the World.

Sad to hear Alex seems to have fallen at the last hurdle. R.I.P. Alex ;o(

Very sad, for the poor guy, but worse for them that are left behind.

At least he had a quick death and didn't have to suffer for many years, like so many that have to live the last years in hospital.

I'm not in the best of shapes myself, but still hope to go on for many more years, and die in my sleep when my time has come.

R.I.P. Alex,

Peter.

Very sad, for the poor guy, but worse for them that are left behind.

At least he had a quick death and didn't have to suffer for many years, like so many that have to live the last years in hospital.

I'm not in the best of shapes myself, but still hope to go on for many more years, and die in my sleep when my time has come.

R.I.P. Alex,

Peter.

Best to die peacefully in your sleep..like my grandad...not screaming like all his passengers...

• Greenie 2

RIP and condolences to his family and friends. I hope it is some consolation to those left behind that being on a boat ensured a much higher quality of life than the majority of the population with meaningful social interaction with people that actually care. It has certainly concentrated my thoughts regarding work life balance.

Having helped carry the coffin for my Brother-in-law's funeral last week who was only 56 when he died I can certainly sympathise and understand the comments about enjoying yourself while you can.

Condolences to the family of Alex he has left behind and I hope he is at peace.

Edited by churchward

Never ever mention retirement plans, A colleague told me three weeks ago that he planned to retire next Easter. We buried him yesterday. Gone in a blink. Don't delay follow your dream today.

Yes, my sister never made it to retirement, and we buried her last Easter. I took early retirement a month later. Can I afford it? Don't know, don't care.

Edited by Guest

Condolences to the family and friends, i just hope he lived a good life and enjoyed it, maybe so as life on boats is not for many but the ones that do get to do it as they want to and is a dream of many, so i like to see it that he was happy with his life and sad as it may be he was happy when he passed away.