Single handing but sharing locks

junior

Featured Posts

When I shared locks on the Audlem Flight on the Shroppie, we tied the boats together, I drove (as he didn't feel confident) and he operated both sets of gates.

I did however raise the bottom paddles as he walked from head to tail to speed things along.

Edited by RichardH

Like this, you mean? But it only gave one steerer and one lock winder. From the brief period when we had a boat each.

s2S52Un.jpg

I haven't seen a photo of Cygnet from that angle before. is she a Sivewright Owl Class? She bears a resemblance to a couple of Owls which moor just below Napton Locks, including the rather woefully named Wayfromit Owl.

I haven't seen a photo of Cygnet from that angle before. is she a Sivewright Owl Class? She bears a resemblance to a couple of Owls which moor just below Napton Locks, including the rather woefully named Wayfromit Owl.

Indeed yes. I've seen perhaps 20 or so Owls since I bought Cygnet. The pic was taken in 2006, on my first long trip, from Calcutt to Sowerby Bridge via Cambridge (!). We still had the Ownerships boat Scherzo. Mrs Mac was not happy with the arrangement shown, and even less happy when we separated to go through Braunston Tunnel - she is normally inside with a large G & T in tunnels.

Like this, you mean? But it only gave one steerer and one lock winder. From the brief period when we had a boat each.

s2S52Un.jpg

Breasted like that, did Cygnet not keep getting her bow thumped at each lock entrance?

IMO the best way to breast up is to tie the bows together otherwise as the first bow enters, the pair tend to drift across, giving the shorter boat a sharp tap on the bow from the opposite wing wall.

George ex nb Alton retired

Breasted like that, did Cygnet not keep getting her bow thumped at each lock entrance?

IMO the best way to breast up is to tie the bows together otherwise as the first bow enters, the pair tend to drift across, giving the shorter boat a sharp tap on the bow from the opposite wing wall.

George ex nb Alton retired

No, it seemed to work OK. I did of course consider breasting up with bows together, but Mrs Mac, who was doing the steering, was happier having the sterns together, and instinct seemed to say that a 'front-heavy' arrangement would make the whole thing more difficult to steer.

Edited to say that we did all this very early in the morning, to avoid having anyone watching, especially on the Braunston flight!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet