Walkie Talkies

Ruth Tesdale

Featured Posts

That is the bit I am having trouble with. It seems illogical and a waste of resources to require somebody to have 2 set when one would cover them.

If I read the regulations in a link (either in this thread or the one about VHF hand helds) they specifically ruled out sets which could operate on any other frequency.

I was wondering what the logic for that was.

I guess its theoretically possible to make a radio which can transmit/receive on multiple frequency groups, and when it does so on each particular group, obeys the relevant rules. Eg while on PMR446 it transmits at 0.5W; while on marine is also uses GDMSS, etc. (Yes, there's a bit in the rules about a marine radio only being capable of transmitting ONLY on marine frequencies, but if that's the only barrier then it would be unreasonable to refuse its certification solely on that).

Its just that no such device has been made - the reason probably being, that if you want/need marine radio, then you tend to use that; and if you want/need PMR446, then its generally for a different style of communication eg between crew on a canal boat). Thus, separate radios seems a sensible way to do things.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a compliant multi-frequency/role radio but I think it would be slim - too slim for any manufacturer to bother with making a radio for it (with all the compromises with trying to cover more than one frequency range etc) and gain its proper certification.

Well in our case Dave is used to moving our boat single handed. He won't be on the boat, he'll be by the paddles with his windlass in his hand - in fact even when we're working a lock together he will only stay on the boat if there's another crew helping so his help isn't needed. It's perfectly safe for me to leave him to it and set the locks ahead for him.

You see Dave and I are a bit strange here, as that is what I do as well. Most boaters just stand and hold the tiller while the boat goes up or down while the crew do the work.

tsk,tsk,tsk.the only thing that that blog could teach anybody is to turn their head now and then like a living person.nbsanity..thats debateable.rolleyes.gif

It point I was making, you may be talking but they may not be hearing.icecream.gif

We have a pair which we rarely use but we wouldn't be without them as they are very useful on occasions. We could easily get by without them and most of the time we manage fine with hand signals but there are occasions when they are very useful.

1. When the one operating the lock is out of sight or goes ahead to suss out the next lock and reports back.

2. Getting the 'all clear' on narrow sections such as the Armitage ex tunnel.

3. For the one on the tiller to let those inside the boat know that locks/lift bridges are imminent and they are needed, or for them to put the kettle on.

4. For one person to go ahead and suss out mooring places.

I also recommend not buying cheap ones. Perhaps I've been unlucky because others of you have found them fine, but I've tried several over the years and the range has been poor particularly if there isn't a line of sight. Mine current ones are made by Cobra and cost £52 but they are brilliant and the batteries last for ages.

As I said, we could manage fine without them but we think they are well worth having. Like a lot of boating related things there is no right or wrong as it's purely down to one's personal choice,

These are beginning to sound like bowthrusters, if you have them they are great, if you don't they are a waste of money and you should be able to boat without them.

i dont have a bowthruster but i dont believe they are a waste of money especially when on a river or for people who may not be very mobile.i have a pair of binoculars.i can boat without them but that does not mean they dont come in handy now and then.by your logic they must seem like a waste of money to those who do not have them. paul

i dont have a bowthruster but i dont believe they are a waste of money especially when on a river or for people who may not be very mobile.i have a pair of binoculars.i can boat without them but that does not mean they dont come in handy now and then.by your logic they must seem like a waste of money to those who do not have them. paul

Just hang on abit and some one will be along and tell you they have never used binoculars on a Narrowboat, you don't need them because you can see whats happening when you get there, ets BTW I have a couple of pairs onboard, a pair by the hatch so I can look well ahead at times.

Just hang on abit and some one will be along and tell you they have never used binoculars on a Narrowboat, you don't need them because you can see whats happening when you get there, ets BTW I have a couple of pairs onboard, a pair by the hatch so I can look well ahead at times.

Binos can be very useful particularly when on unfamiliar river sections.

Well off-topic BUT,

on the non tidal Thames (where there is a body of marine VHF installations),

most commercial users use a phone to communicate.

Other than for club outings and the like VHF is hardly used and declining.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Cheapo ones will suffice. Ebay, Maplins etc. Save the rest of the money for BEER on the Hols biggrin.png

Tim

Hi

Yes I bought some once and the missus refused to use them, she said we had no need. I left them on my last boat for the new owner.

Tim

My Missus drops 'em in the cut!