Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bobbybass

Thames Barge...I'm all excited...

Featured Posts

I'm all excited...( last time was about 1974)

I did mention this once before...that I received an inheritance from a deceased relative..I knew nothing about. As such, the BBC have been filming me for the new series of Heir Hunters.

They came to my 'land ' address last Tuesday, and yesterday (Friday) they had arranged to film me onboard a Thames barge named 'Lady Daphne'..in St Katherines Dock.

I got to 'interview' an expert about the history of the barges, which has become something of a fascination for me now. My Great grandfather was..at 'least' a third generation Barge Captain.

lady Daphne is over 100 tons....(was originally listed as heavier..?...and a wonderful reminder of the era. There was once over 10,000 of them plying their trade, but now only about 10 are able to carry passengers.

I was fascinated to know how they could manouever such large sail powered craft through such congested waterways, and learned there was a huge amount of ropework skills carried out. They also used a technique of bumping the anchor on the bottom to make the craft reverse. Racing to London (to beat competition) often involved taking the bridges 'at a run' dropping the mast at the last minute and then getting it back up quickly.

It makes me feel humble moaning about a little side wind in a narrowboat !

Edited by Bobbybass

The art of "Shooting" bridges is still practiced on the Broads, when it's done right it's very impressive

Phil

I guess if you get it wrong...it's equally impressive..!..

Like when I was on ' The Broads'...the local who said...'I don't need the pilot to get under Potter Higham bridge...

I still recall..the sounds of splintering wood and perspex.

I'm all excited...( last time was about 1974)

I did mention this once before...that I received an inheritance from a deceased relative..I knew nothing about. As such, the BBC have been filming me for the new series of Heir Hunters.

They came to my 'land ' address last Tuesday, and yesterday (Friday) they had arranged to film me onboard a Thames barge named 'Lady Daphne'..in St Katherines Dock.

I got to 'interview' an expert about the history of the barges, which has become something of a fascination for me now. My Great grandfather was..at 'least' a third generation Barge Captain.

lady Daphne is over 100 tons....(was originally listed as heavier..?...and a wonderful reminder of the era. There was once over 10,000 of them plying their trade, but now only about 10 are able to carry passengers.

I was fascinated to know how they could manouever such large sail powered craft through such congested waterways, and learned there was a huge amount of ropework skills carried out. They also used a technique of bumping the anchor on the bottom to make the craft reverse. Racing to London (to beat competition) often involved taking the bridges 'at a run' dropping the mast at the last minute and then getting it back up quickly.

It makes me feel humble moaning about a little side wind in a narrowboat !

Join the Thames Barge Sailing Trust- a weekend's sailing for £100.

Sign in to follow this