Boat Pole

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just bought a new Ash boat pole, I have read that you should not paint them as they can rot under the paint, but mine looks very vunerable and I suspect needs some kind of treatment, so do I oil, varnish or just paint it to make it last the next few years?

Hi

I've painted both my long shaft and cabin shaft, this was 12 years or so ago and never had a problem. The long shaft is in raddle red while the shorter one is in coach paint. Go for it, they should last for years.I'll 're do them over winter.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I've painted both my long shaft and cabin shaft, this was 12 years or so ago and never had a problem. The long shaft is in raddle red while the shorter one is in coach paint. Go for it, they should last for years.I'll 're do them over winter.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave, I will break out the paint then and give it the once over

We just used Yacht varnish, Ash is a nice enough wood grain. We also put these large heat shrink end caps on to protect the ends.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60mm-Glue-Lined-End-Cap-Heatshrink-pack-of-1-/251114937600?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3a779ddd00

They dry on like a hard plastic and very strong.

I suspect that some painted poles rot from the inside because they have not been allowed to dry out properly before being painted. When you purchase a pole, there is no guarantee that it hasn't been sitting out in the rain for weeks before it found its way into the chandlery, iyt may look dry on the surface, but painting a pole in such circumstances will seal in any moisture, hence the internal rotting.

I never paint or seal any timber until it has been in dry storage for at least a couple of months, I have a new ash pole suspended from the roof of my workshop airing out at the moment, I doubt that it will be painted until the spring.

If you do paint it why not do it in contrasting one foot sections - that way it's a handy depth guage as well.

I always like to carry an eight foot scaffold pole - useful for serious groundings, not that I ever need it of course...

I never thought of ali scaffold poles, but to late now I have bought my nice Ash one lol, came in very handy today when I could not get Willoughby reversed back in her berth, I also like Neils idea of painting 1 foot sections different colours, be good practise with the brushes ready for her re-paint in the spring, or if enough coffers left after the re-fit, may book a dry dock to do it this winter if the dry dock has some form of heating.

I'm tempted to get some aluminium scaffolding poles to use as shafts. Easy to wield, and with the ends blocked off, would float.

That would be even better I guess - the only problem with the standard galvanised item is they are a bit heavy and of course they sink very well.

Once you have one on the boat though it's surprising how often they come into their own. Eg there's a couple of gates on the Wigan flight that last time we did it would simply not shift from the open position without the extra leverage of the pole. A standard boat pole would just bend.

I got my last one from a building site where they were just packing up - I asked them if they wouldn't mind "losing" one of their poles for a fiver.

Painting orvarnishing or oiling a good ash pole will surely not make a scrap of difference as to how long it will last but it will make you hesitant to use it because any use of it will be in situations where paint or varnish will be damaged.

Painting orvarnishing or oiling a good ash pole will surely not make a scrap of difference as to how long it will last but it will make you hesitant to use it because any use of it will be in situations where paint or varnish will be damaged.

Well yes it will, particularly if the ends are well treated, as it will stop the ingress of water, and I mean rain, not canal water from occassional use.

I am about to replace one of the ash poles on our boat, which was painted, except for the bottom 3ft, Ten years on the bottom end is split and rotting away, the top end is still sound.

Edited by David Schweizer

Totally agree. Just use your shaft and buy another in ten years when it has rotted.

£36 every ten years is hardly the biggest expense in owning a boat, surely?

MtB

7 foot of stair hand rail.

The traditionalists will hate me for this but having found that the standard ash pole can be very heavy for some people to wield and that they are relatively expensive, I used lengths of mop stick handrail from Travis Perkins and found them to be ideal and very long lasting. They can be painted although a good application of Cuprinol (clear or stained) will provide plenty of protection.

These poles were supplied on hire boats and to quite a lot of chandlery customers. Obviously they are not as strong as ash but then if correctly used, to push rather than lever, they provide excellent service. That said, on my own 70 footer (no bow thruster) I could count on one hand the number of times I have needed to use the shaft/pole over 15 years. My current mop stick pole must be at least 8 years old and still in good nick.

Just a suggestion, I'll get my coat.

Mopstick, or any other profile of stair handrail, is almost always made of pine, and not neccesserily of any particular quality. As such is not really suitable for use as a boat pole. Not only do they tend to be of smaller cross section, pine can have a tendency to split if put under pressure, often leaving two long sharp ends. At best this could lead to you falling into the water, and at worst you could push yourself onto the sharp end with possibly lethal consequences.

There is a good reason for using ash, not only is it a very strong timber, it is also has a very high stress resistence, which is why it is traditionally used for things like axe and hammer handles. These qualities are very useful in any implement designed to move a heavy object where both strength and stress resistance are important , and are qualities not possesed by pine.

As David said:

There is a good reason for using ash, not only is it a very strong timber, it is also has a very high stress resistence, which is why it is traditionally used for things like axe and hammer handles. These qualities are very useful in any implement designed to move a heavy object where both strength and stress resistance are important , and are qualities not possesed by pine.

It is its knot free, straight grain which gives it strength, not features found in pine.

Steve

Edited by sharpness

Hear what you say, but neither any of the many people I know using the mop stick over many years nor myself have any problem to report. No doubt there is an Elf and Safety issue there but used sensibly, I intend to "stick with it"

Coat's already on.

Hear what you say, but neither any of the many people I know using the mop stick over many years nor myself have any problem to report. No doubt there is an Elf and Safety issue there but used sensibly, I intend to "stick with it"

Coat's already on.

I accept that the number of serious injuries resulting from a split pine pole are probably quite scarce, but that is also true of many other situatuations in life, and it could be argued that you are entitled to take the risk. However, it does not negate the safety issue, especially when spending a few more pound would signifinty reduce the risk.

And what if it was someone else who is injured? you would feel dreadful, and you might be found liable for allowing them to use a potentially unsafe item. is it worth it?

I accept that the number of serious injuries resulting from a split pine pole are probably quite scarce, but that is also true of many other situatuations in life, and it could be argued that you are entitled to take the risk. However, it does not negate the safety issue, especially when spending a few more pound would signifinty reduce the risk.

And what if it was someone else who is injured? you would feel dreadful, and you might be found liable for allowing them to use a potentially unsafe item. is it worth it?

Health and safety has made the world go mad.

Use what you want as a boat pole!!

I have a friend who had exactly the same attitude as that.

The flappy bit of skin between thumb and index finger on his left hand is a torn up mess of scar tissue from where the long spike of snapped pine bannister passed through it.

He considers himself lucky because he was pushing off from his shoulder so the spear could have just as easily gone through his chest....Still hurt loads though, apparently.

Some people don't get it do they? It is about using the most appropriarte material for a purpose. There is a very good technical reason why Ash for has been used traditionally to make long poles, and which has been more than adequately explained above. Not understanding the technical reasoning is insufficient grounds for dismissing the practice as health and safety gone mad.

That would be even better I guess - the only problem with the standard galvanised item is they are a bit heavy and of course they sink very well.

Once you have one on the boat though it's surprising how often they come into their own. Eg there's a couple of gates on the Wigan flight that last time we did it would simply not shift from the open position without the extra leverage of the pole. A standard boat pole would just bend.

I got my last one from a building site where they were just packing up - I asked them if they wouldn't mind "losing" one of their poles for a fiver.

We used a metal boat pole to prise free a Dutch Barge that was hung up on the pilings, here (with the skin fittings about 1/2 an inch from the waterline -eek) . So I agree, very handy!

Hi all

I agree entirely with David about the use of ash for shafts for the cited reasons. I've got ours here at home for repainting and, a dozen years on they are sturdy, solid and rot free. The long shaft is only painted, no boat hook, and the business end shows signs of wear from use, nothing a rub down and repaint won't put right. Heavier than pine, true, but so much safer. I'm not a regular user but there are times when a deftly wielded shaft is a better solution than a racing engine to complete a manoeuvre. Last year I found a hire boat at right angles to the lock entrance, across a pound on my local Delph flight. A few dips and shoves soon had the boat aligned again.

"Ah" said the hired " I wondered what the pole was for!!"

Cheers

Dave