Anyone fancy a weekend's boating (Locks involved)

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

Hello,

We are going to the Buckby Banter with Tawny. In order to get her there in good time we are aiming to Leave Hatton and move her as far as possible, to somewhere in the Calcutt / Braunston area the weekend before (19th / 20th Oct.)

As many of you know I've broken my foot, it's now out of plaster and I can walk on it, but I've been told to be careful and take it easy for at least the next couple of weeks as it probably hasn't fully healed yet.

We both think me doing lots of locks or standing on the back of the boat steering for 2 full days would be a bit silly, so wondered if anyone out there fancies a bit of boating that weekend. Either just help with some of the lock flights, or join us for the whole time.

Let me know if you're interested.

Not going by boat is not an option, we are nearly fully booked with 9 people sleeping on her, so she has to get there somehowtongue.png

Thanks

Sue

I had a feeling you might get quite a few volunteers. If you are stuck we could help out but it is a good chance for some other people who don't get a chance to go boating very often to have a nice weekend and enjoy the welcome that is always afforded to folks on Tawny Owl.

Are you in need for the return journey too?

Jan Warsop passed info to me about this. It looks like you have lots of offers of help but I would be delighted to come aboard your boat for as long as needed to help work the locks. I am a frustrated wanna be lock keeper and have windlass will travel. So if I can be of help let me know telling where I would need to be and when and I will then figure out how to get there from Chesterfield by bus or train.

Thanks everyone for your offers.

I've sent PM's to make arrangements.

Added complication is that Richard hurt his back on Saturday help.gif so is also pretty useless at the moment, well for doing locks anyway, so the offers are much appreciated.

Anybody else desperate to lock down Hatton, don't be afraid to mention itlaugh.png

Thanks very much.

Sue

An excellent trip. 2 1/2 hours down Hatton, a fantastic thunderstorm at Wood Lock, rainbows a Bascote and Long Itchington for the evening. Then a quick assault on Stockton, a pleasant cruise to Braunston followed by a moving banter up the locks. Even better, the forecast heavy showers held off until we moored up at Buckby

Apologies to the several boats who spoke to us going through Braunston, I'm not good at remembering forum names from boats. I do appreciate it though - come to a banter so I can recognise you

Richard

• 1 year later...