Corned beef and eggs an' things

Daiboy

Featured Posts

I am not getting into the fridge debate here Naughty Cal!

Suffice to say some find it necessary'

Now hot dogs have been mentioned....aldi do jars of bockwerste(spelling?) That taste really smoky. Cut them into slices (rings) and heat in a pasta sauce...we make ours with passatta, garlic, onion, herbs etc mix with cooked pasta, eat! Cheap, filling, tasty.

It didn't need to be a debate! I was merely quizzing the logic. At this time if year our fridge is hardly on so I don't see how it saves much power!

I can (see what I did there!! CAN) only take you back a few months when "real" beef and meat that we should expect to be in our pies and things turned out to be horse or old nags from the Eastern Bloc countries. Not that I am decrying horse meat, I have had horse steaks in France and they are very tasty.

Corned beef and Spam, as long as the meat content is acceptable, is a great boating standby. There is nothing I liked better than a slab of meat that I can cook in the oven say for a Sunday lunch. Now I am on my own and live on a narrow boat things have to change once in a while. Christmas Day I will cook a crown of Turkey and all the trimmings (or I might go to the local (dare I advertise Wetherspoons)).

I like and enjoy making up quick and convenient snacks, meals out of tins.

God bless the tin can and Philippe du Gerard, Bryan Donkin and his mate John Hall in 1813 ish.

That's why we don't eat processed pies either! We make our own and freeze any leftovers. Easy meal the next time. We don't tend to eat much in the way if processed foods at all, we like to know what we are eating.

And don't get me started on Wetherspoons!

It didn't need to be a debate! I was merely quizzing the logic. At this time if year our fridge is hardly on so I don't see how it saves much power!

That's why we don't eat processed pies either! We make our own and freeze any leftovers. Easy meal the next time. We don't tend to eat much in the way if processed foods at all, we like to know what we are eating.

oh! how i wish we had them here.when they tried to enter the market the government put up too many barriers as they were worried that people might lose the run of them selves with all that cheap booze[hilarious,we cant be havin' that English drink culture corruptin' holy Ireland.]cheers.gif .they also put the mockers on European style cafe bars where you could sit out in the Mediterranean/ Irish air and have a glass of wine with your crusty bread.the nanny state you might think,but no, it was the massive lobby that the vintners federation had on that so called government and the fact that half the politicians in the country were publicans.corrupt self interest.

banana republic,septic isle. paul

Ally, on 15 Oct 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:snapback.png

I am not getting into the fridge debate here Naughty Cal!
Suffice to say some find it necessary'
Now hot dogs have been mentioned....aldi do jars of bockwerste(spelling?) That taste really smoky. Cut them into slices (rings) and heat in a pasta sauce...we make ours with passatta, garlic, onion, herbs etc mix with cooked pasta, eat! Cheap, filling, tasty.

Daiboy, on 15 Oct 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:snapback.png

I can (see what I did there!! CAN) only take you back a few months when "real" beef and meat that we should expect to be in our pies and things turned out to be horse or old nags from the Eastern Bloc countries. Not that I am decrying horse meat, I have had horse steaks in France and they are very tasty.

Corned beef and Spam, as long as the meat content is acceptable, is a great boating standby. There is nothing I liked better than a slab of meat that I can cook in the oven say for a Sunday lunch. Now I am on my own and live on a narrow boat things have to change once in a while. Christmas Day I will cook a crown of Turkey and all the trimmings (or I might go to the local (dare I advertise Wetherspoons)).

I like and enjoy making up quick and convenient snacks, meals out of tins.

God bless the tin can and Philippe du Gerard, Bryan Donkin and his mate John Hall in 1813 ish.

Sorry Cal, or may I call you "naughty".

Did you have a bad experience with Wetherspoons. Personally I find them very good purveyors of real ale with the addition of medium to good food, but that's just me.

How come you have the fridge mainly off in winter but the freezer still on? Is it mains or battery as I would like to freeze some of my creations.

Cheers.

Ally, on 15 Oct 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:snapback.png

Daiboy, on 15 Oct 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:snapback.png

Sorry Cal, or may I call you "naughty".

Did you have a bad experience with Wetherspoons. Personally I find them very good purveyors of real ale with the addition of medium to good food, but that's just me.

How come you have the fridge mainly off in winter but the freezer still on? Is it mains or battery as I would like to freeze some of my creations.

Cheers.

We don't turn our fridge off. It is in the cockpit of the boat so stays cold hence now the temperatures are dropping the compressor runs less and less thus using less power. Our fridge on the boat is 12v with a small freezer compartment.

We don't liveaboard full time only four days a week so we have the added bonus of a fridge freezer at home as well.

Oh and we have had many bad experiences with Wetherspoons hence why we avoid them all where at all possible!

We live aboard, never hook up, rely on solar, have an alternator that has never worked, and last winter had a 230v fridge. That's why it was turned off...its also in the same space as the stove. This year we have a 12v fridge and so far are managing.

I would have to have no option but starvation before I ate hot dog sausage or spam. Corned horse is the only tinned meat I do like and I usually have a tin or two on the boat.

Yorkshire relish is better than Worcester sauce

Obviously a severe gap in your education. Long live L&P!

It has to be Hendersons Relish.

Lee and Perrins

Obviously a severe gap in your education. Long live L&P!

Lee and Perrins

Good god no.

Hendersons everytime.

We drive past their "factory" every weekday on the way to work. Couldnt have anything else.

We even have a shipping order to take to The White Swan at Torksey every month or so. The caravan park behind the pub is full of Sheffielder's and they insist on Hendersons Relish with their steak pie so we bring six bottles a time in return for a few pints.cheers.gif