Corned beef and eggs an' things

Daiboy

Featured Posts

Just a few "rustle up" recipes.

Onion and garlic slowly fried with lid on to become soft (not browned)

Add:

Salt, pepper and chilli flakes

Worcester sauce, tomato sauce or puree

Small tin corned beef cut up

Small tin baked beans

Small tin baby carrots

Mix well and leave to simmer gently for about 5 mins

Make up some potato mash from packet (some great ones on the market now tasting of crisps) or peel, boil and mash sweet potato

Put big mix into Pyrex (or similar oven proof medium dish) put potato on top and grate strong flavoured cheese on top of the lot.

Add a few drops of Tobasco and put under grill.

Takes about 10 minutes and more than fit for 2

Cut a small tin of Span into 5 even slices or 4 hot dog sausages cut down the middle of the length

Fry over a low heat for about 5 mins

Whisk 3 eggs, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and a drop of water

Turn up heat and pour over Spam

Break up mixture whilst frying to get eggs cooked through at bottom

Grate cheese over the lot, add Tobasco and put under grill

Again takes about 10 minutes and (if your gutsy as me) fit for one

Yummee!!

• Greenie 1

Not tempted to become a vegetarian then? Can you still buy Spam and Corned dog? Having said that I don't hardly ever go into supermarkets food shopping as SWWTSIO reckons I buy rubbish that's out of date in 24hrs.

I recently saw Spam & C D for sale in the "ethnic food " isle in a Florida super market next to Fray Bentos pies. . I always thought they were a Yanky invention.

Not tempted to become a vegetarian then? Can you still buy Spam and Corned dog? Having said that I don't hardly ever go into supermarkets food shopping as SWWTSIO reckons I buy rubbish that's out of date in 24hrs.

I recently saw Spam & C D for sale in the "ethnic food " isle in a Florida super market next to Fray Bentos pies. . I always thought they were a Yanky invention.

Well I did add some carrots

Yup, you can still buy 'em. Princes Corned Beef lasts until Nov 2017 and Spam (with garlic no less) until Dec 2015

corned beef is almost as expensive as real beef these days...

Do love a bit on a toasted sandwhich though...

Actually that reminds me of another snack I rustle up. Toast 2 slices of bread on one side only. Turn over and add a couple of slices of corned beef, lashings of Branston pickle and some slices of cheese. Back under the grill until the cheese melts and corned beef becomes nice and soft. Cool and cut into fingers.

Oh yeah !!!

Just as an aside, what does the acronym SWWTSIO stand for. I know it must be similar to SWMBO

Remember to buy the Alka-Seltzer while you're doing the shopping! The dishes sound tasty indeed but might play havoc with digestive systems.

So far so good. Just a lovely little repast and as yet with no, shall we say, side effects.

Spam is so popular in Hawaii that it has become an known as an ethnic dish of the Hawaiian natives. Here are a few recipes for you..

http://www.thehawaiiplan.com/5-delicious-spam-recipes/

Edited by Delta9

maybe the residents of Fray Bentos are stiffing us for booting them off the Malvinas by putting up corned beef to £2 a tin ?

God knows what disgusting slops go into it, but i like it.

I have seen what goes into hotdogs though, put me off for life.

It doesn't do to see what goes into food! We used to get to work in quite a few food type processing places, and some were bloody awful. Top names some of them, too.

Actually corned beef "Fray Bentos" was originally from Uruguay about 90 miles from Argentina. It was producing corned beef in 1863 ish and then taken over by a German called Herr Liebig ( who also founded Oxo). It was named after a monk called "Friar Benedict" Now closed!!!

Actually corned beef "Fray Bentos" was originally from Uruguay about 90 miles from Argentina. It was producing corned beef in 1863 ish and then taken over by a German called Herr Liebig ( who also founded Oxo). It was named after a monk called "Friar Benedict" Now closed!!!

None of that makes what goes into it more appatising though wacko.png

corned beef and spam are good stand by's though if you are the types that turn the fridge off in winter for need of power saving. Spam cut into lumps, heated in baked beans with a good dash of worcester sauce and served on toast is a decent bit of comfort food, quick and filling and hot.

corned beef and spam are good stand by's though if you are the types that turn the fridge off in winter for need of power saving. Spam cut into lumps, heated in baked beans with a good dash of worcester sauce and served on toast is a decent bit of comfort food, quick and filling and hot.

We prefer to keep the fridge on and have "proper" meat. At least you know what you are eating that way blink.png

I have never really understood why some people turn their fridges off in the winter. Surely the fridge is working less hard in the winter anyway thus using less powerhuh.png

Some canned goods do use quality materials- I'm a Food safety and hygiene auditor and I went to a tinned ham supplier once -the quality of pork they were using was really good- especially those supplying the German retailers.

Its the products that contain reformed or a blend of different types of meats that I would avoid most.

And check the meat content- the difference in meat content in a tin of ham can vary by 40% dependant upon brand- and the cheapest isn't always the lowest

I can (see what I did there!! CAN) only take you back a few months when "real" beef and meat that we should expect to be in our pies and things turned out to be horse or old nags from the Eastern Bloc countries. Not that I am decrying horse meat, I have had horse steaks in France and they are very tasty.

Corned beef and Spam, as long as the meat content is acceptable, is a great boating standby. There is nothing I liked better than a slab of meat that I can cook in the oven say for a Sunday lunch. Now I am on my own and live on a narrow boat things have to change once in a while. Christmas Day I will cook a crown of Turkey and all the trimmings (or I might go to the local (dare I advertise Wetherspoons)).

I like and enjoy making up quick and convenient snacks, meals out of tins.

God bless the tin can and Philippe du Gerard, Bryan Donkin and his mate John Hall in 1813 ish.

I can (see what I did there!! CAN) only take you back a few months when "real" beef and meat that we should expect to be in our pies and things turned out to be horse or old nags from the Eastern Bloc countries. Not that I am decrying horse meat, I have had horse steaks in France and they are very tasty.

Corned beef and Spam, as long as the meat content is acceptable, is a great boating standby. There is nothing I liked better than a slab of meat that I can cook in the oven say for a Sunday lunch. Now I am on my own and live on a narrow boat things have to change once in a while. Christmas Day I will cook a crown of Turkey and all the trimmings (or I might go to the local (dare I advertise Wetherspoons)).

I like and enjoy making up quick and convenient snacks, meals out of tins.

God bless the tin can and Philippe du Gerard, Bryan Donkin and his mate John Hall in 1813 ish.

Corned beef or Spam fritters are nice, and easy to make.

Edited by bizzard

I am not getting into the fridge debate here Naughty Cal!

Suffice to say some find it necessary'

Now hot dogs have been mentioned....aldi do jars of bockwerste(spelling?) That taste really smoky. Cut them into slices (rings) and heat in a pasta sauce...we make ours with passatta, garlic, onion, herbs etc mix with cooked pasta, eat! Cheap, filling, tasty.

I am not getting into the fridge debate here Naughty Cal!

Suffice to say some find it necessary'

Now hot dogs have been mentioned....aldi do jars of bockwerste(spelling?) That taste really smoky. Cut them into slices (rings) and heat in a pasta sauce...we make ours with passatta, garlic, onion, herbs etc mix with cooked pasta, eat! Cheap, filling, tasty.

Now your talking my kind of food, Yeah !!!