Goldfish

Jerra

Featured Posts

Lots of old houses had fish ponds for food over winter so there may be species of carp that thrive in cold UK waters.

I went to Fontainbleu (France) long ago and the fish ponds there looked like a Bond film piranha tank should anyone throw bread

There are species of carp which survive well and have been around since well back in history (middle ages?) which is what I assume John6767 has seen unless they had the bright colours of Koi which he doesn't mention.

There was a well known one (which I believe has recently been found dead) which weighed when last caught (2008) weighed 67 pounds 8 Ounces.

Lots of new houses have ponds full of ornamental carp, the cold weather doesn't bother them at all.

Their only disadvantage in the wild is their bright colours which provide no camouflage.

Perhaps, because they do seem to survive in spite of this, their gaudiness acts in a similar way to brightly coloured insects and acts as a "I don't taste very nice" warning.

That may be one way they survive however Herons have been known to empty ornamental ponds of the stock of goldfish. So some of the predators at least either learn its OK or don't understand the colour warning.

That may be one way they survive however Herons have been known to empty ornamental ponds of the stock of goldfish. So some of the predators at least either learn its OK or don't understand the colour warning.

Maybe the colours deter the big Pike and the big Pike deter the Herons.

Edited by carlt

Regents Canal near Victoria Park this summer: I am not an expert but I saw a turtle-terrapin type creature swimming about - the shell was over a foot long not including the limbs, massive it was!

CRT are aware ;)

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/invasive-species-rogues-gallery/terrapin

Pulled several binbags of exotic weed cool.png out of the guillotine lock at Todmorden a few years ago. Somebody called the police and they came and took it away. Even commandeered asked nicely if they could use my boat to round up the bits which had floated down the cut.

When I was a very precocious 5 year old, I got a severe clip round the ear for fibbing by announcing that there was a sulphur crested cockatoo on a tree in our Hertfordshire back garden.

I don't remember the apology when the aged ones saw it for themselves mind.sad.png

The heron didn't mind what colour mine were.

Apparently pike seem to be attracted to fish not normally present in their particular water and goldfish have been considered a good livebait for that reason. I have not yet carried out my plan to slip an anaconda into the Bristol Avon.

I think an Anacona being a constrictor would have a job squeezing a slippery little goldfish to death.

Bladerunner. Happy to help.

It's a movie that's well worth watching, The book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) is worth a read, too.

Bye!

John.

I generally think that dramatisations of books lose a lot of the nuances and depth that is in the original. It's a while since I read the book (not even sure if it is still on my shelves, TBH), but I felt Bladerunner said far more than the book.