BMC 1.5 Spin on Filter Conversion

DandGNWales

Featured Posts

I have just bought 2 spin on conversion kits 1 oil & 1 Fuel, looking at the supplied conversion housing, it seems very good quality to me, but when I asked our marine engineer to fit them, he flatly refused, saying he has had loads of trouble after fitting them with leaks and the fuel filter draining back etc.

So are these kits a cone and I have bought a lame duck, or is he just to busy and is trying to put me off?

I've used a fuel filter conversion from ASAP supplies on a 1.8 rather than a 1.5. I can't imagine they are wildly different.

The only issue I recall was that when I tried to use all the pipes connecting to it as they already were, with olives on them, the actual recesses that the pipes go into were shorter than on the original filter, so the olives would not come up against the surface they were supposed to mate with.

I simply shortened the amount of each pipe projecting beyond each olive, and it all then went together just fine.

I can't see why the installed filter should not work exactly the same as what it replaced - it's still in exactly the same place.

Not tried an oil filter conversion - my 1.8 is spin on already, although it is in a pig awful place to get to it, and changing it is always guaranteed to create a God-dam mess!

I've used a fuel filter conversion from ASAP supplies on a 1.8 rather than a 1.5. I can't imagine they are wildly different.

The only issue I recall was that when I tried to use all the pipes connecting to it as they already were, with olives on them, the actual recesses that the pipes go into were shorter than on the original filter, so the olives would not come up against the surface they were supposed to mate with.

I simply shortened the amount of each pipe projecting beyond each olive, and it all then went together just fine.

I can't see why the installed filter should not work exactly the same as what it replaced - it's still in exactly the same place.

Not tried an oil filter conversion - my 1.8 is spin on already, although it is in a pig awful place to get to it, and changing it is always guaranteed to create a God-dam mess!

Thanks for your reply Alan, seen as I have bought them I may as well try and fit them, then if they do cause me problems at least I will still have the original bits to put back on, but on a cold day as today and seeing the news is saying arctic blasts are on the way, I think I will leave it till the summer

Many years ago I fitted a spin-on conversion from AMC diesel. It was easy to fit and gave no trouble in the 10 years or so before I changed boats to one with a 1.8, which has spin-on as standard. The conversion is well worth doing, as it makes oil changing much less fiddly than it was with the original fitting.

Arthur

As I understand it the 1.8 oil filter is spin-on as standard - at least it is on my Thornycroft 108 (BMC 1.8).

As with Alan Fincher, I have fitted an ASAP spin on fuel filter conversion. I did not suffer from Alan's fitting problems. However, the filter supplied with the kit did not seat properly causing an oil leak. This was very much a one off as I have not had a problem since.

From a practical point of view, I find that having a spin on fuel filter is of limited benefit. This might simply be due to the plumbing on my engine which makes it difficult to get a filter wrench (i.e. boa) on and to remove it without getting fuel in the bilge.

It's still a case of trying to catch any spillage in a strategically placed plastic bag.