Volunteer Lock Keepers

Gillie

Featured Posts

Coming down Hatton flight yesterday, just Dave and me,
we waited in the top lock for half an hour but no other boats came so set off.

After 4 locks we came upon 4 volunteer lock keepers helping 2 boats up,

one of which was a hire boat with 4 crew ( might have been more inside..don't know)...

I asked one of the lock keepers if one could help us as we were on our own,

(and Dave was getting quite red in the face from all that winding by now!!)

but he said they had to go up the flight not down..at least that is what I think he said as he hurried past..

So we had to do the whole flight on our own while 4 of them helped a hire boat with 4 crew up 4 locks..

Have emailed CRT to see what their volunteer lock keeper policy is...frusty.gif

It depends on the volunteer(s), AFAICS. I've had superb help, as a singlehander this summer, on the Marple flight and Farmer's Bridge, (from solitary volunteers, one aged 75), but the two at the top of Bosely sent me through the top lock then didn't venture any further.

We have had very mixed experience of volunteer lock keepers! We have even been told by one guy at Napton that they were not there to help boaters but to look out for loose bricks etc and tell CRT. More recently, we had excellent help from a CRT employee at Farmers Bridge. We were going down early (two of us) and he was on his way to litter pick. When he went past and noticed that there were just the two of us, he said he would set the locks for us. The gates are so good on that flight that he just had to open a top gate on every lock and that was a great help. At Audlem a few weeks ago, on the other hand, when we approached the bottom lock, there were 2 volunteers helping a single handed guy in front of us. However, when his boat left the lock, the guys walked off down the canal (away form the locks) and were not seen again till we got near the Shroppie Fly when they walked up past the boats and stopped to chat at the CRT gazebo. By this time, a queue of boats had built up so I asked the volunteers what their duties were. They listed lots of jobs including helping boaters. I then asked why they had chosen not to help the single handed boater and the reply was that they also had instructions not to let the situation develop where there were 4 boats in a pound and anyway, their shift was finished. By not helping the single handed boater, there were 4 boats in the pounds by this time! That ended up being the slowest trip we have ever had up a flight of locks. It took us almost 7 hours to boat form Nantwich to the top of Audlem flight. We later found that the problem was caused by 2 friends on a boat each and while they were lovely chaps (we had met them elswehere on our travels) they didn't have much of a clue about locking :-) and the boat following them didn't seem to offer any help. Had a volunteer been there to help, it would have been very much appreciated by those following on who were all helping one another and chatting as we waited....

haggis

Edited by haggis

I got a lecture in boat handling by one of the guys at the top of Bosley, can't remember why now. They were obviously stopping there though rather than bothering to see if anyone neded any help further down. My wife (who I met at the top) was impressed that I didn't point out I'd been boating thirty years and knew how my boat handled... and had just done all the other locks on my own.

Against that, going through Stone, again on my tod, I met one just heading to their main point to report for duty and she borrowed my windlass to wind me through the first lock, then ran to sign in and ran back to help me through the rest. So it all depends on the individuals, which of course is the real problem with the whole idea.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I went up Watford staircase a couple of weeks ago, and as I was singlehanded the lockkeeper (whether volunteer or full time I don't know) motioned for me to stop on the boat, and he helped me all the way up, for which I was most grateful.

We have sometimes cruised with friends or family on board, and it is automatic for us, when waiting at a lock and one of us can be spared, to go ahead and help whoever is in front of us.

Here's a copy of what I posted three weeks ago:

It is easy to tell when the Volunteers on the locks at Hillmorton go home each day - with the sound of firmly struck gates, crashing paddle gear, shouting and pointing as steerers try to work out which lock to use, and the innevitable evening water level drop in the pound as boats leave with paddles not wound down all the way.

Just why the volunteers put up with the occassional abuse and rudeness we have no idea, but we think they have done a great job and just before they pack up for the winter, we're inviting them in for a thankyou drink and a bite on Friday 25th October 6pm - if anyone wants to thank them also then please call in to the cafe at that time.

Just like boaters, some of those who volunteer to help will be better at it than others but it is beyond me why some perfect boaters whinge on about them not specifically providing the help they seem to demand.

• Greenie 1

Here's a copy of what I posted three weeks ago:

It is easy to tell when the Volunteers on the locks at Hillmorton go home each day - with the sound of firmly struck gates, crashing paddle gear, shouting and pointing as steerers try to work out which lock to use, and the innevitable evening water level drop in the pound as boats leave with paddles not wound down all the way.

Just why the volunteers put up with the occassional abuse and rudeness we have no idea, but we think they have done a great job and just before they pack up for the winter, we're inviting them in for a thankyou drink and a bite on Friday 25th October 6pm - if anyone wants to thank them also then please call in to the cafe at that time.

Just like boaters, some of those who volunteer to help will be better at it than others but it is beyond me why some perfect boaters whinge on about them not specifically providing the help they seem to demand.

If we volunteer to support you ..... do we get a free meal ;)

I like to think that the volunteers are all perfect .... . We have had excellent help from many sources. A most amazing sight to see volunteers in existence at the lock flight going down into Bath. Late afternoon, a long day, and help just when you needed it. Sure, there are occasions when their attitude might be suspect but then hmmmm, it has been known for me to shall I say, point more than one finger :)

We've had help from volunteers, and most of our experiences have been positive. Personally, I really appreciate these people who give up their time to helping our on the waterways.

The only time that the atmosphere became a bit tense was when one volunteer on the Stourport flight started to give SWMBO some advice on the "best way to do it".

As she has probably operated more locks than the volunteer has had hot dinners, she was more than a little short with him...

Just like to add my twopenn'th to the thread.

Like many who have posted, and others we've met, our experience of the volunteers has been mixed. In the main they have been very helpful, and that help is gratefully received.

Like all of us, there are good and not so good helpers, but heck, they're out there helping us. They're giving their time and effort for us. Don't knock it!

Bob

I think what needs identifying is what are the criteria for being a volunteer lock-keeper, what training are they given and as pointed out earlier what are their duties?

Its only speculation, but if they are not very experienced and in their mind they are trying to do things as they have been shown, then come across experienced boaters that tell them (maybe in not to nice a tone) that they don't know what they are talking about, then I could well understand them not been keen to present themselves to none hire boats in case they get more of the same.

Most of my cruising seems to have been devoid of any lock keepers so I have not been able to form an opinion of them yet. But if they are there trying to help then lets support their efforts.

Is there anyone out there that's a volunteer lock keeper, or who has been one that can answer my initial questions?

Since they are volunteers with a wide remit, surely its unreasonable to expect them to necessarily help you. Its not something you should plan for, but if it happens its a bonus (assuming, unlike a few splendid isolationists on here, you want the help).

Most of my cruising seems to have been devoid of any lock keepers

I thought it was just me! Where are these mythical creatures? Or have I just been unlucky? The only lock keepers I've seen this year have been on the big rivers and commercial canals.

I agree, Nick, it is a bonus if a volunteer offers to help and if there are no volunteers then we just get on and do locks ourselves as we have been doing for more years than i care to remember. It is when I see volunteers standing chatting to one another or strolling along when there is a boat which might benefit from a bit of help that I find myself wondering what their duties are. If they were litter picking or painting or doing something else useful then that is great but I have seen a lot of pairs of them just wandering along chatting to one another this year and it does make me question how beneficial some of them actually are to the canals.

haggis

It depends on the volunteer(s), AFAICS. I've had superb help, as a singlehander this summer, on the Marple flight and Farmer's Bridge, (from solitary volunteers, one aged 75), but the two at the top of Bosely sent me through the top lock then didn't venture any further.

We had exactly the same experience, chap at Marple helped with all the locks, knew exactly what he was doing and made sure I was ready before opening paddles. Bosley, helped with the top lock although to be fair we did meet another volunteer lower down who was helping another couple come up.

Volunteers come in all shapes and sizes, they decide what they want to do and if instructed otherwise they can just walk away.

Ken

Agreed, it's a bonus when they help. But it would help if we actually knew what their duties were supposed to be - I have asked and been told on at least one occasion that they had been told to tidy up the towpath and were not to get involved in working locks. So I suppose it's much the same as the old BW lock-keepers who tended to help when they could but who had other work to do as well. But seeing them sitting on a wall having a chat watching me shuffling up and down ladders can be irritating!

PS and then being told how to do it properly...

PPS mind you, they both seemed to be older than me, and I'm no spring wotsit, so they probably needed a sit down every now and then!

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I thought it was just me! Where are these mythical creatures? Or have I just been unlucky? The only lock keepers I've seen this year have been on the big rivers and commercial canals.

Napton has been manned every time we have been up or down. They also walk the flight and adjust the water levels plus clear up after some of the mucky dog owners.

Also remember they are volunteers they don't have to be there or do anything

have done over 600 miles this year 300 plus locks,had help doing the ribble link as expected.did wigan flight both ways by ourselves (we are well into our 60s) did not plan trip around there being someone to help us.if they were there and wanted to help then fair enough if not then again fair enough.saw V keepers working at several locations ( painting tidying etc ) did not expect them to help us.

14skipper

A group of volunteers were on the Wigan flight this morning and they were all doing the thankless task of litter picking. They meet every Tuesday for this task and although they are not lock keepers and did not carry windlasses were happy to assist the boat in the lock going up the flight.

They managed to pull a wheelie bin out of one of the pounds as well as loads of floating rubbish in and around the locks.

Steve

A group of volunteers were on the Wigan flight this morning and they were all doing the thankless task of litter picking. They meet every Tuesday for this task and although they are not lock keepers and did not carry windlasses were happy to assist the boat in the lock going up the flight.

They managed to pull a wheelie bin out of one of the pounds as well as loads of floating rubbish in and around the locks.

Steve

That's great. Personally I'd far rather they did that sort of thing than helped me through locks, even if I was single handed (OK I probably wouldn't plan to be single handed through Wigan!)

Can't say what happens elsewhere, but at Fradley there are 2 sets of volunteers. The lockies, who do nothing else but locks & a group who seem to meet once a month for the litter picking, gardening, painting etc.

I think the only way to look at it is that it's a bonus if you get help, but don't expect it. There are many days including busy weekends when no one is there & once it comes to lunch time, they are off, however busy it is.

That's great. Personally I'd far rather they did that sort of thing than helped me through locks, even if I was single handed (OK I probably wouldn't plan to be single handed through Wigan!)

yes, I would rather they did useful things too. CRT just needs to decide that the volunteers are not there to help at locks but to keep the area looking good then we will all know where we stand.

haggis

(OK I probably wouldn't plan to be single handed through Wigan!)

Wigan is by no means the hardest flight for a singlehander. That accolade goes to the Calder & Hebble - OK not a flight, but there are 12 locks between the river and Salterhebble, and I had forgotten how HARD they are when I arrived back this autumn. And I would be astounded to find a volunteer lockie on that stretch (although I did see a litterpicking group).

as others have said - I've yet to meet any of these volunteer lockies... but wholly in support of having them and I don't think its reasonable to expect them to just do 'litter picking' and other menial tasks of course they should get involved with working people through the locks and basic maintenance...

I did ask a CRT chap about why there were no volunteer lockies on the L&L and he said they hadn't really 'got it going' but did have a few on the bingley 5 rise....

the big provisio for me is that they should be supplementing the full time staff not replacing....

Also remember they are volunteers they don't have to be there or do anything

I would certainly agree with you about "they don't have to be there", I would disagree with "or do anything".

I can't think of a volunteer situation where you can turn up and do nothing - at least not one where you wouldn't be politely told to stop volunteering.

Having volunteered surely you have a commitment to do what you volunteered for. Imagine the chaos there would have been at the Olympics is a high proportion of the volunteers had gone and done nothing.