what size ply for floor & sides

Featured Posts

Hi all, we are laying a new floor with marine ply my question is what size should I go for 12 or 18mm, also we are going with Oak or ash faced ply for the sides and roof so what would be the best size for that and as I have never done one before do you just fix with brass screws or glue as well.

I myself when i fit my boat out i will be using 18mm for the floor, yes you could get away with 12mm but it depends on the bearers and how far apart they are.

For the sides a roof, i reckon 6mm would do the job. and for fitting, i would say it depends on what you would like on show, if you dont mind washers with screws then go for it, if not then glue and small pins.

Floor 18mm

Hull Sides 12mm

Cabin Sides 9mm

Cabin Top 9mm or Tongue and Groove

That would be my timbers of choice, however, my fitout is hoping to be with at least 75% reclaimed goods, so it will be what i can get my hands on!!!!

Dan

I'm going to guard my show floors carefully.............. ;)

We're using 12mm ply on the floor with boards on top (bearers at 600mm centres) but I'd want to go thicker if we weren't having boards over the ply so would probably be using 18mm.

Sides and roof - I guess it depends what you need to fix to it. I was told by a certain boat builder that the 9mm ply they use was good enough to hang a hammock from but again, I think I'd want to go a little thicker.

I like Alastairs suggestion of boards but this will prove to expensive so will go with 18mm ply and floor tiles in the galley and the thick laminate floor in the rest, and will go with 12mm hull side overlaid with 3mm Ash or Oak Faced Ply and possibly 6mm cabin sides and roof.

Do you really mean marine ply, as the proper stuff is hideously expensive, and well OTT for a floor.

Good quality WBP ply should do, best way is select the boards in person avoiding ones with excessive voids and filler, then boiling(!) an offcut to check the glues hold up OK. That said even OSB might do if it's hidden. A neighbour has sanded and varnished scaffolding boards that look really nice.

Good practice to use a coat of say protective wood stain on all hidden faces of all timber, in case of plumbing and condensation leaks at some point later on.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~