Autumn travel from Middle Level to Shepperton

Up The Creek

Featured Posts

We are in the middle of purchasing a 36' Sea Otter, and need to transport it from the Middle Level Navigation (near Peterborough) to The Thames (Shepperton) at the end of October, or sometime in November. We are thinking of cruising from the Middle Level via the Nene/Grand Union/Thames. It's not an ideal time of year to be taking a boat on a 2-3 week trip, but it would save us quite a lot of money compared to lorry transport, and would probably be fun.

Any views on why we should/should not do it? We are moderately experienced boaters (but usually - wimpishly - only on the Thames in summer!).

Thanks for any advice.

Bottle's comment above is not very sensible - arrive at your first Thames and you may find the River closed...

Indeed, passage through the Thames will not be possible from November 4th. UNLESS your destination is BELOW Shepperton Lock

Looky here:-

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/135254.aspx

Shepperton Lock will be closed, preventing journeys upstream and Whitchurch Lock and bridge preventing movements downstream; both from 4th. November.

I can only talk about the Thames - I have no idea whether there are any challenges on CaRT waters - more particularly with Brentford Lock opening times.

If you go for it, you can do that route in 7 to 8 days.

The only problem is that, as PaddingtonBear says, the Nene is very prone to flooding, especially at that time of year.

Just be aware that plans may well have to change at a moment's notice. It might be worth seeing if you can take a weekend off beforehand, and do as much of the Nene as possible- you should be able to get from anywhere one the Middle Level to about Willy Watt marine, part way up the Nene, in a weekend. Once the Nene is done, you're no longer at the mercy of the weather, but rather then more predictable stoppages on the rivers and canal.

Many thanks for all your advice. We will probably give it a go, and make sure we complete the trip before 4 November.

One other point; I might need to tackle the first third of the journey single-handed. Any particular issues there? At 36' the boat is not particularly long, and has a bow thruster.

Many thanks for all your advice. We will probably give it a go, and make sure we complete the trip before 4 November.

One other point; I might need to tackle the first third of the journey single-handed. Any particular issues there? At 36' the boat is not particularly long, and has a bow thruster.

None really. The middle level is quite benign, if shallow and occasionally weedy. Stanground lock is manned by Tina, who you have to phone up first to book passage off.

Once you're on the Nene, the locks at the lower end are fairly spaced. You'll find them generally in your favour, as they need to be left empty. The guillotine gate will be up, and you can just go straight in. There'll normally be a ladder on your right as soon as you go in, and one on your left in the middle of the chamber.

Lots of them have a bit of flow over the vee gates at the upstream end, and the paddles are fierce. I'd be inclined to take a bow rope off with you, to keep the bows tucked against the walls when opening the paddles, and open the paddles carefully and slowly.

Watch out for the "safety" chains, they can catch the edge of the boat. On the Nene it's worth having side fenders down when locking- which you oughtn't to do elsewhere- to keep the edge of the hull away from them. Even when sharing with another narrowboat this is still possible, the locks are 15' wide.

Enjoy it, take it slowly and carefully, and don't try and move the boat if there's any kind of strong stream if you don't feel comfortable handling the boat in those conditions.

None really. The middle level is quite benign, if shallow and occasionally weedy. Stanground lock is manned by Tina, who you have to phone up first to book passage off.

Once you're on the Nene, the locks at the lower end are fairly spaced. You'll find them generally in your favour, as they need to be left empty. The guillotine gate will be up, and you can just go straight in. There'll normally be a ladder on your right as soon as you go in, and one on your left in the middle of the chamber.

Lots of them have a bit of flow over the vee gates at the upstream end, and the paddles are fierce. I'd be inclined to take a bow rope off with you, to keep the bows tucked against the walls when opening the paddles, and open the paddles carefully and slowly.

Watch out for the "safety" chains, they can catch the edge of the boat. On the Nene it's worth having side fenders down when locking- which you oughtn't to do elsewhere- to keep the edge of the hull away from them. Even when sharing with another narrowboat this is still possible, the locks are 15' wide.

Enjoy it, take it slowly and carefully, and don't try and move the boat if there's any kind of strong stream if you don't feel comfortable handling the boat in those conditions.

Don't forget Tina insists on 24 hours notice for lock passage

I'd agree with FTS and add that the when filling a Nene lock, the flow from the gate paddles bounces off the guilotine and pushes the boat fairly firmly forwards towards the V-gates, so bear that in mind when roping.

FTS, you should have a TXT from me, that requires your attention.

MP.