Lock Gate wear

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

Whilst pottering along the Kennet and Avon in our boat I found myself considering the problem of the numerous leaking gates at the various locks and then suffered the realisation that it is actually the fault of us narrowboaters so wondered what other people's view was on this.

The problem that can be clearly seen is on the bottom gates where we (yes I am as guilty as anyone else) only open one of the two gates on a broad lock to navigate into the the lock. I consider myself as accurate a navigator as anyone else and steer the boat into the lock trying to make sure that I don't scuff the gates but you only have to look at the gates to realise that it is narrowboats scuffing these gates that results in the gap towards the bottom of the gate through which most of the water leaks. Should we all open both gates whenever entering these locks to prevent this? or just complain the CRT about leaking gates??

I realise that it is probably a bad habit to only open one gate to get into a lock, but looking at the level of wear on the gates it would seem that everyone must be doing it. Whilst I would accept that it would slow everyone down quite a lot if we adopted the practice of opening both gates (but then the canals aren't built for speed!) but then it also slows us all down a lot waiting for a lock to fill that is emptying nearly as fast as it if filling.

Just curious of what people's thoughts are on this?unsure.png

The trick is to open the other gate enough to guarantee getting through the gap without hitting it, yet not too far so its possible to allow the gates to gently close together when the paddles are operated (not slam) without needing to walk around the other side to close it.

The trick is to open the other gate enough to guarantee getting through the gap without hitting it, yet not too far so its possible to allow the gates to gently close together when the paddles are operated (not slam) without needing to walk around the other side to close it.

Are the edge seals are a seperate sacrificial member? (of different wood type).

Yes they are, but 1) they'll still wear and leak if rubbed etc and 2) don't expect maintenance to be timely - a lock will be left with a small issue for a long time before its enough of an issue for CRT to take action, there's thousands of leaky locks (and good ones too) out there after all.

you have to accept some wear, we are not to "blame" for using the locks.

A major factor in boats wearing the gate mitres is the fact that CRT have stopped cleaning out the gate recesses that allow the gate to be out of the way.

Rubbing a nearly open gate surely wouldn't matter as you do not touch the part that forms the seal, rubbing a closed gate however you rub along the vulnerable point of the gate.

We are not to blame for using locks but arguably only opening one bottom gate is actually abusing them .... surely we have some responsibility to use them properly?

Ok having said that i will come clean and I do sometimes open only one bottom gate, I try not to rub the closed one but i am far from perfect! Interesting point though, how many of us do open both bottom gates as we should?

Nick

Edited by NickF

Sometimes single gating is necessary but if done carefully should not be a problem.

eg - If we are sharing a shortish lock going down with another boat sometimes the only way to get out is for the other (shorter) boat to leave first through a single gate and then for Jan to 'jiggle' our boat past the closed gate so I can get it open past the bow.

We shared the lock at Bramwith on Saturday with a completely novice crew (they were moving a deceased family members boat) who had never ever done a lock before and after I explained why we couldn't open both gates till he left the lock and how he should if he can avoid touching the gates he deftly steered his boat out of the lock with one gate open and the other held partly open by me and didn't touch anything.

Edited by The Dog House

20131002_114501_zps3d496b2e.jpg

K&A , Fobney Lock, just got worse!!!

The offside lock gear being removed.

The bottom lock gates havn't met properly for months and this lock took aaaaAGGEESSSSS to fill anyway.

On Friday,after this unceremonious paddlecision, this lock was filling for 24 minutes and then took 6 "porkpie eaters" (nicknorman expression surely destined for Oxford Dictionary) to open the gate with 6" of water still to fill.

We did warn hire boaters approaching that they may like to call Aldermaston wharf for assistance if they wanted to return their boats in good time.

I always open both gates! tongue.png

At last a thread where the widebeam owners aren't to blame cheers.gif

Surely we only need to open both bottom gates ... rubbing a top gate makes no difference as the rubbing strakes on most hulls are above the waterline. ........... is this right?

Nick

Surely we only need to open both bottom gates ... rubbing a top gate makes no difference as the rubbing strakes on most hulls are above the waterline. ........... is this right?

Nick

What about the baseplate overhang? On some boats this can protrude by over an inch on each side.

What about the baseplate overhang? On some boats this can protrude by over an inch on each side.

usually the width of the bottom plate plus the lip, is less than the width at the gunwale.

ie 2000 mm bottom plate, and 6 ft 10 " 2080 mm at gunwale.

Edited by onionbargee

I always open both gates! tongue.png

At last a thread where the widebeam owners aren't to blame cheers.gif

Nice blackrose

As I continues hirer I learnt how to steer! and cringe sometimes when my sort get tared with the same "its all their fault"

Just stop hitting things it is NOT a contact sport! until the wind gets up :)

Seriously we all have a duty to protect the system and its nice to learn new things that aid us along the cut and protect the environment and infrastructure.

We are privileged to be able to use it and it is a great legacy to pass on to the next generation, so lets learn from each other.