CRT statement Nick BrownvCRT

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Yes it is indeed me (I don't have need to use an alias to hide behind, I just happen to call myself this because I logged in via F/B).

I am concerned by the not-so-stealth removal of lengths of non-restricted (aka "14 day") mooring space on the tow-path between Bath and Devizes - which is why in 2010 I joined MSSG to resist, only leaving when I issued the claim form in this JR (to remain was a contradiction) and assisted in the present consultation both by sharing my experience from MSSG and providing a paper on public sector consultations. It is primarily for this reason that the consultation is going ahead: when the mooring sub-group was made aware of its obligations it stepped up.

I am also very aware of the difficulties that disabled boaters have on the K&A and other parts of the network, and that CRT is very disinclined to do anything about that - and my colleagues are working on that too, with several local authorities and the EHRC.

As for my own moving up and down, I don't care to talk publicly about where I live (but it is obvious to other boaters who know me - for reasons that you too would know if you passed my boat) I'm on the move every 14 days - except where it is reasonable and for me to stay longer - "unreasonable" includes "bust prop caused by CRTs rubbish in the bottom of its inadequately dredged canal" and "blown up engine" (caused by the former) but apart from that I'm on the move every 14 days - as is appropriate and required. By the way I'm also signatory to CoCo meaning that whatever CRT says, I do it by the rules and I encourage everyone else to do the same (as it happens).

As for "creating court costs" I put it to Richard Parry in no uncertain terms last week that I would rather that we settled out of court than relied on a judge to decide the matter, because I'd rather that the money went on fixing lock gates than paying for lawyers. I also believe in the general principle that the parties are far better equipped than a judge to understand the situation in order to settle it. A judge however will deploy the law as the law was meant and it is clear to me that CRT want a judicial decision because it doesn't like what Parliament intended in this respect - and never has. 3 hours after that meeting Nigel Johnson published a press release quoting from the private, confidential and without prejudice meeting, publicising privileged material (and thus acted in contempt of court) and quoted content of the meeting in a manner that made it clear what CRTs position is. This thread follows from that.

By the way I also proposed to Mr Parry that if CRT stopped persecuting itinerant live-aboards it would then have access to many a skill through volunteering, including considerable skills that could substantially mitigate the maintenance bill, presently projected to be £91m for the year (ie 50% of the revenue). I suggested that an organisation that spends 50% of its revenue on maintenance is in trouble. I also suggested that revenue was 10% down on last year and that didn't look good either. I suggested that as the itinerants regard the canal system as "ours" (we live and breathe it every day) that, I proposed, there are many people who would offer their help as volunteers to maintain "their" canal. I would for one and I know of others who would do the same. This, it seemed, was not lost on him. 3 hours later, having spoken to Mr Johnson, it was clear that I was mistaken. As for dredging I have made complaint to Mark Stevens and suggested that if he doesn't dredge his patch (which hasntbeen dredged ever since teh canal reopened in 1990 (according to the Chair of the K&A Trust) I will see to it that he does. The difficulty is how he will pays for it.

Litigation is a destructive activity. Engineering is a task of creation (as anyone who knows me understands). But with CRT it was apparent to me that "simply smiling, hoping and waving a bit of paper in the air on the aircraft steps" appears not to have worked. One day this war will end...

As for whether the NBTA is a "traveller" organisation, well according to Jo Jones, Chairman of the Gypsy Council we are... are you?

• Greenie 1

Interesting!

Obvious history then.

If you go onto their web site you have to sign a "non-disclosure" agreement to view their accounts, and yet, as a Ltd Company they have to be published and "should" be available from Companies House.

http://www.greenamps.co.uk/investor.html

http://www.greenamps.co.uk/executives.html

I am concerned by the not-so-stealth removal of lengths of non-restricted (aka "14 day") mooring space on the tow-path between Bath and Devizes.

ah yes, a massive 21 miles or canal.... how long is the K&A, or does it stop at Devizes??

As for my own moving up and down, I don't care to talk publicly about where I live (but it is obvious to other boaters who know me - for reasons that you too would know if you passed my boat) I'm on the move every 14 days - except where it is reasonable and for me to stay longer - "unreasonable" includes "bust prop caused by CRTs rubbish in the bottom of its inadequately dredged canal" and "blown up engine" (caused by the former) but apart from that I'm on the move every 14 days - as is appropriate and required.

).

Do you rotate these excuses on a regular basis, or have committee meetings to come up with new ones.

. As for dredging I have made complaint to Mark Stevens and suggested that if he doesn't dredge his patch (which hasntbeen dredged ever since teh canal reopened in 1990 (according to the Chair of the K&A Trust) I will see to it that he does.

strange, there was dredging taking place in two separate places when I passed through last week.

Litigation is a destructive activity. Engineering is a task of creation (as anyone who knows me understands).

Engineering what, new methods to waste charity funds....

But with CRT it was apparent to me that "simply smiling, hoping and waving a bit of paper in the air on the aircraft steps" appears not to have worked. One day this war will end...

War, if you knew what war was, you would not use the term for your squirming and nitpicking squabbles. Was the bit of paper an offcut from OS Map 172??

As for whether the NBTA is a "traveller" organisation, well according to Jo Jones, Chairman of the Gypsy Council we are... are you?

I travel, and move all over, I do not feel like, or claim to be a separate race......which you are not either.

• Greenie 3

As for dredging I have made complaint to Mark Stevens and suggested that if he doesn't dredge his patch (which hasntbeen dredged ever since teh canal reopened in 1990 (according to the Chair of the K&A Trust) I will see to it that he does. The difficulty is how he will pays for it.

s.106?

Sorry Folks I really don't like some of the things that Nick Brown writes (squirming and nitpicking squabbles is a great description) but I find the attack on him distasteful.

x2. A more considered approach would be to intelligently present a counterpoint to the details of the relevant points up for discussion/argument, rather than do some kind of "character assasination" and go on an internet fishing trip for other details about a person.

I for one, welcome Nick signing up to the forum and hope he is not dissuaded from posting and expressing his views, because I would like to hear both "sides" of any argument/discussion and make my own mind up.

• Greenie 1

x2. A more considered approach would be to intelligently present a counterpoint to the details of the relevant points up for discussion/argument, rather than do some kind of "character assasination" and go on an internet fishing trip for other details about a person.

That would need to work BOTH ways.

"what's good for the goose is good for the gander?"

Edited by jenlyn

That would need to work BOTH ways.

"what's good for the goose is good for the gander?"

It doesn't (NEED to). If two sides are arguing, and one of the sides chooses to offer a personal attack while the other sticks to the facts at hand, then its plain to see to all the world. One can take the moral high ground, or one can engage in a "race to the bottom" of most insulting etc etc. Normally I observe that once people run out of ideas, can't 100% follow, or don't understand, an argument, then they will slide into personal attacks. This normally means that they have lost, but still want to post on the internet.

But it does seem fashionable to make personal attacks round here, distasteful as it is. That's the price for freedom of speech, I guess.

It doesn't (NEED to). If two sides are arguing, and one of the sides chooses to offer a personal attack while the other sticks to the facts at hand, then its plain to see to all the world. One can take the moral high ground, or one can engage in a "race to the bottom" of most insulting etc etc. Normally I observe that once people run out of ideas, can't 100% follow, or don't understand, an argument, then they will slide into personal attacks. This normally means that they have lost, but still want to post on the internet.

But it does seem fashionable to make personal attacks round here, distasteful as it is. That's the price for freedom of speech, I guess.

I take it your referring to post 147 and the posting on the kanda website? In that case, I agree with you.

Its all very sad when things get unpleasant, but Nick Brown has publicly attacked the ACC and made personal attacks on one of its founders, and the Kanda website is doing the same. Nick leads the NBTA so these could be seen as attacks upon an individual from boating organisations. Name calling and insults are not good, but providing information that allows others to decide if those making the attacks are credible people or not is perhaps more acceptable?.

Trying to establish the credibility(or otherwise) of witnesses is of course an integral part of our legal and political systems.

.............Dave.

• Greenie 1

Interesting!

Obvious history then.

If you go onto their web site you have to sign a "non-disclosure" agreement to view their accounts, and yet, as a Ltd Company they have to be published and "should" be available from Companies House.

http://www.greenamps.co.uk/investor.html

http://www.greenamps.co.uk/executives.html

According to Companies House , Green Amps Ltd has been in Liquidation since 2009, yet their website would suggest they are still trading. Others of Mr Brown's companies have yet to file accounts which were due by 2009.

Interesting!

Obvious history then.

If you go onto their web site you have to sign a "non-disclosure" agreement to view their accounts,

Nonsense.

They ask you to sign a non-disclosure agreement if you want to see their business plan.

I'd have thought he already provides enough ammunition for folk to have a go at him without having to make stuff up.

Sorry Folks I really don't like some of the things that Nick Brown writes (squirming and nitpicking squabbles is a great description) but I find the attack on him distasteful.

You can be opposed to someone's ideas without making a comment a personal attack. Some forum moderators recommend this approach when discussions get heated.

I fear that if we go down the route promoted by Mr Brown and others, many boaters could suffer.