Boat window makers differing approach

Ray T

Featured Posts

When I washed our boat windows the other day I inadvertently broke one of the condensation hole covers on the outside of a window at the bottom. It is plastic which had, I suspect, gone brittle. Doing a search on t'web I found a NB window manufacturer in the Midlands. The telephone conversation went something like this:

Me, "Do you sell the little alloy vent covers for the condensation drain holes"?

Man, "What make are your windows sir"?

Me "No idea".

Man, "If they are not our make I am unable to sell them to you".

Me, Why".

Man "Because we do not want our products on inferior windows".

Me, " Are you being serious"?

Man, "Yes sir".

Me, "If that is the case I wish you a good day and goodbye".

More searching on t' web and find a company in Wigan only too happy to sell me as many as I want. I was puzzled and a little cross with the first manufacturers approach as these little vent covers do not have any makers name on them. I am surprised that a firm would refuse a sale, I would of thought that any sale was better than none?

Needless to say the Midlands manufacturer will get no recommendation from me.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Probably just a bad hair day ..... we all have 'em .... can't do a thing with mine since that lightning strike.

ps I've bought bits from Caldwells and they were very helpful.

Edited by Kwacker

If those were your actual words you are more courteous than many would be in that situation. Under the circs, some people might even issue a curt invitation to indulge in sex and travel.

If those were your actual words you are more courteous than many would be in that situation. Under the circs, some people might even issue a curt invitation to indulge in sex and travel.

probably too stunned to do anything else ..... I bet something was muttered afterwards judge.gif

, some people might even issue a curt invitation to indulge in sex and travel.

Might make you feel better at the time, but better not to burn your bridges. You never know when you might have no choice but to deal with them.

It does amaze me with a recession on that some companies turn away business.

I had great service yesterday from a little DIY shop. Needed some tiny screws for a job. They couldn't find any, but refused to be beaten, eventually finding exactly what I needed. Even threw in a screwdriver bit for me f.o.c to do the job. I will certainly use them again.

It does amaze me with a recession on that some companies turn away business.

Don't under-estimate the grief and trouble that mail-order orders can generate. How would the vendor know if they were the correct item? They could have said so in a nicer way though.

For five quid's worth of plastic turning a profit of two quid, Vs. the chances of the punter calling a week later and saying 'they don't fit, I want a refund', would it have been worth it? A company would need to be pretty damned desperate to take that order IMO. I'd have turned it down too....

MtB

Mike. I did not want direct replacements. The new ones will need fixing with self tappers which I am well capable of doing. I know what I wanted and will have no intention of returning them.

With the excess of communications today, firms really have to think seriously about their reputation and what they say to customers, as word on the web can spread very fast. Remember Mr Mountain?

A rhetorical question perhaps, would you treat a customer in your own business the way I was?

With the excess of communications today, firms really have to think seriously about their reputation and what they say to customers, as word on the web can spread very fast. Remember Mr Mountain?

Funnily enough, I saw a boat named HARPAGON at Abingdon last weekend! It was an old Princess 32 IIRC. I was sorely tempted to go for a chat but I was already ensconced in the wheelhouse of another forum member putting the world to rights so it might have seemed a bit rude...

A rhetorical question perhaps, would you treat a customer in your own business the way I was?

Yes. I decline all mail order requests although I'd have explained it more elegantly, I'd hope. Bundle of trouble IME.

MtB

Edited to sort out my HTML tags!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Actually not, though I remember his younger cousin Mr. Hill. Who was he?

"Read all about it". Here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53883&hl=%2Btim+%2Bmountain#entry1019975

In a nut shell, through his desire to to remain anonymous via "data protection" he had Jim Shead's site closed down which caused wrath across the internet ether and got him far more publicity and exposure than he ever wanted I imagine.