Which Polish Please?

Nb Smudger

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

New member, we have just taken delivery of a 5 yr old 40ft JD narrowboat with a self build fit out. Very nice job & the paintwork is excellent, finished in a mid blue, red edge & cream roof. We would like to keep this looking good as Winter approaches & just wondered which polish is recommended please? Have read that Craftmaster Carnauba Wax is a good one, no silicone in it and doesn't leave smears, but can be a bit pricy? Any info on this would be gratefully received. Thanks. Nb Smudger.

I've just bought some of the Craftmaster wax, it came in a box with a bottle of their shampoo and was about half the price of buying both seperately. I haven't used it yet as every water point i've moored near has been too busy to wash the boat, but i'll hopefully be doing next week so will report back.

Welcome to the forum Mr Smudger. I am sure that you will (waste) spend many happy and useful hours here.

The only polish I use is Brasso.

N

Edited by Theo

I've just bought some of the Craftmaster wax, it came in a box with a bottle of their shampoo and was about half the price of buying both seperately. I haven't used it yet as every water point i've moored near has been too busy to wash the boat, but i'll hopefully be doing next week so will report back.

Another vote for Craftmaster. Easy to apply and polish and leaves a pleasing and durable finish.

I use the Craftmaster polish and it gives brilliant results on boats and cars. Use a microfibre cloth to apply and another to remove. I have found that doing a small area at a time is best, wiping to a shine before it dries to avoid streaking, and not pressing too hard. Even quite faded paint ends up looking good.

Twice now in 3 weeks of boat ownership I have come back to the boat covered in grass cuttings all down one side. Is this a common occurrence or have I just been unlucky? It's kind of making me reluctant to get the polish out.

When we came down the Grand Union we were followed by the grass strimming gang. Virtually every day!

To their credit they did not cut grass where we was. Still the wet strimmed grass got everywhere as it tends to do. It's orrible stuff.

NB do you check your PM's Junior?

Edited by mark99

Craft master for me. You'll be surprised how far it goes. Just like the Fairy Liquid ads.

We have a green boat and the paint was somewhat mucky and faded. We washed it with water from the Canal, (are you reading this Junior?)then 'T' cut it with coloured cut and finished with Craftmaster. We were very pleased.

I say were because we moor adjacent to a farm and Uncle Farmer has probably covered the boat in dust and what have you since we were last there. We are away at the boat this weekend so we will see.

Martyn.

Edited by Nightwatch