Mill Lift Bridge - Lower Heyford Oxford Canal

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I have always found this bridge to be something of a challenge and having had a near disaster where my stick slipped out from under the raised bridge - I don't trust the 'Banbury Stick' method of operation at this location.

I have tried sticking the boat into the offside and chaining the bridge down then, having gone through, getting the stern close enough to unchain and lower the bridge but it was very messy.

My preferred method these days is to make a cup of coffee and wait patiently for for someone kind enough to hold it up for me . . .

MILF: Defined in the excellent publication 'Fifty Sheds of Grey' as 'Mowers I like to Fix'.

Of course, that's what I knew what Onion meant. What else could it have alluded to..........

I have always found this bridge to be something of a challenge and having had a near disaster where my stick slipped out from under the raised bridge - I don't trust the 'Banbury Stick' method of operation at this location.

I think that if we were to frequent this route and endure the trickery of the bridge, I would modify my pole with rubber grips at each end, similar to those on the end of walking sticks. Either that or Velcro pads on each end and one on the bridge........

Edited by Doorman

I recall recently whilst we were enjoying a cruise on the Llangollen, where I had gone ahead to raise one of the lift bridges that occupy this route. As I could see a hire boater approaching, I signalled for him to pass our stationary boat and cruise under the bridge once I'd raised it.

To my astonishment and as the hydraulic mechanism was worn causing the bridge to struggle in its ascent, the boater continued in his approach even though at his speed, he was about to collide with the bridge structure. Finding some hidden strength and resolve, I managed to raise the bridge just before the cabin sides clobbered it, only to be given a look of "what's troubling you old timer?", as the boater whizzed past puzzled by my apparent fit of asthma!

Edited by Doorman

• 1 year later...

According to this notice the bridge is due to be automated next spring.clapping.gif As a single hander this is possibly the worst bridge on the system with the possible exception of one of the manual swing bridges on the K&A which I had to pull open with the boat.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1881/bridge-205-mill-lift-bridge-oxford-canal

That's the one I was left sitting on the balance beam for half an hour after my boat drifted underneath of its own volition. After that I made up a short length of rope with a loop and a karabiner to keep any futher balance beams down.

I've never managed to negotiate that bridge solo, and not for the want of trying. Someone ALWAYS seems to turn up and 'help', thereby removing my chance to try out whatever smart Alec method I happen to have figured for the occasion.

For my next assault on it I was planning on chaining it open with a loop and karabiner too. The doubt in my mind is whether there is a loop set in the ground to fix it to. If there isn't, I can either whack a mooring stake into the ground or lug as many 56lb weights from my ballast as it take to hold the poxy thing open...

Meggers, on 04 Nov 2014 - 8:06 PM, said:

According to this notice the bridge is due to be automated next spring.clapping.gif As a single hander this is possibly the worst bridge on the system with the possible exception of one of the manual swing bridges on the K&A which I had to pull open with the boat.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1881/bridge-205-mill-lift-bridge-oxford-canal

Well that f@cked that then there was now't wrong with it as it was. Why do they have to go round buggering up everthing that does not need fixing.

Well that f@cked that then there was now't wrong with it as it was. Why do they have to go round buggering up everthing that does not need fixing.

Let's hope they make a better job of automating it than they did of the bridge at Thrupp.

MtB

P.S. What's your preferred method of working it single-handed then Jim?

Let's hope they make a better job of automating it than they did of the bridge at Thrupp.

MtB

P.S. What's your preferred method of working it single-handed then Jim?

Shove the nose of my boat under it run down the gunnel up on th the bridge and lift it from the towpath side and shuve the Banbury stick under the far side a pull it out as I come through, its not heavy to lift use the hand rail at first. 20% of the time someone will lift it for you anyway, so that's gone as well when it's 'automated'.

As for Somerton deep what's your boat got a propeller for when your going up? It is actually not that heavy but DO not shut the paddles till after.

Also remember that the bottom gate paddles on the Oxford are 2 sizes one is about 2/3 the size of the other (as I cannot remember which side of the gate the small one is on you will have to experiment and see which is lighter) so open that first.

Mike the Boilerman, on 04 Nov 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Thanks!

Seems the Banbury Stick method involves least effort.

How do you shut the bottom gate at Somerton after after you when leaving the lock, going downhill?

MtB

P.S. Interesting about the different paddle sizes...

Thats easy as there is a long lead into the lock with the bridge as well just stop the boat and walk up and shut it.

The worst lift bridge is one of the wooden ones as it gets covered in mud and soil so after rain it is a sod to lift, cannot remember it's name and no maps to hand!

Well worth knowing about the paddle sizes as by the time you have opened the smaller one and crossed the gate a lot of pressure has come off the bigger paddle, makes it allot easier to open.

Edited by Jim Evans

Has some nicked the chain? that was fixed in to the ground under the bridge beam, which you just looped over beam to hold it open. Odds are that C&RT will place the control panel on the non towpath side.

Warm in front of the fire, lit for the first time since March.

Thats easy as there is a long lead into the lock with the bridge as well just stop the boat and walk up and shut it.

Have you been through since they fitted the new gate?

I'm not physically strong enough to pull it shut, so far out of vertical is the centre of pivot. Just wondered if you can do it. Stronger than me if you can!

I last passed through shortly after they installed it. Maybe they've changed the balance by now.

MtB

Have you been through since they fitted the new gate?

I'm not physically strong enough to pull it shut, so far out of vertical is the centre of pivot. Just wondered if you can do it. Stronger than me if you can!

I last passed through shortly after they installed it. Maybe they've changed the balance by now.

MtB

It's marginally better than the old bottom gate. I find the trick is to bounce the end of the beam a bit, then apply and even force - persistently.

If my Management can do it...

As an aside - what's the problem with the Thrupp lift bridge - per se?. Cabinets either side (a nice touch).

If there is a problem - it's mebe having to find a key and or mooring on the 'downstream' side?

Do tell!

I've never managed to negotiate that bridge solo, and not for the want of trying. Someone ALWAYS seems to turn up and 'help', thereby removing my chance to try out whatever smart Alec method I happen to have figured for the occasion.

For my next assault on it I was planning on chaining it open with a loop and karabiner too. The doubt in my mind is whether there is a loop set in the ground to fix it to. If there isn't, I can either whack a mooring stake into the ground or lug as many 56lb weights from my ballast as it take to hold the poxy thing open...

There is a loop. This bridge used to be easy but the last few times I have been through it it has been really tough and I haven't been able to open it from the towpath side let alone use a pole.

passed through in August with two of us and we struggled a bit in opening it. Don't remember seeing a chain to hold it open then (could have missed it!). Passing north bound a motorist helped my wife to hold it open whilst I passed underneath

There is a loop. This bridge used to be easy but the last few times I have been through it it has been really tough and I haven't been able to open it from the towpath side let alone use a pole.

I don't remember a ground but I'll check at the weekend.

Last time I came through I remember hanging my full weight on the bridge and it refusing to open, and a bloke came out of the cottage to help me. I'd like to get to do it alone though, just so I know I can.

As an aside - what's the problem with the Thrupp lift bridge - per se?. Cabinets either side (a nice touch).

If there is a problem - it's mebe having to find a key and or mooring on the 'downstream' side?

Do tell!

Fine when it works but when they first installed it, it seemed to break down on an almost daily basis.

MtB

Thrupp bridge -

Fine when it works but when they first installed it, it seemed to break down on an almost daily basis.

MtB

We must have been lucky - used it four times this year and no complaints from my Management.

She will welcome 'lectrisifacation of Mill Lane - it's the holding (sits on beam) and letting it down without a resounding crash that's a 'problem'.

thanks for the feedback.

Thrupp broke down on numerous occasions when it was first installed. IIRC they modified the hinge points on the ram as it was overloading the pump. After the teething troubles it's been ok.

Somerton bottom is still a bitch, going up I had to 'nudge' it to help the boss open it. Going down she had no chance and I had to stop and go and help

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this bridge single handed. To be fair it doesn't need to be automated which is probably an expensive option. Simply adding ballast to correct the balance and fitting a tie down system would be fine. When I passed through in October there was a ring in the ground but no way of attaching the chain hanging from the arm to it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this bridge single handed. To be fair it doesn't need to be automated which is probably an expensive option. Simply adding ballast to correct the balance and fitting a tie down system would be fine. When I passed through in October there was a ring in the ground but no way of attaching the chain hanging from the arm to it.

Which is why I made up a loop of rope with a karabiner.