Gardner 2LW Replacement Oil Filter part No?

Joshua

Featured Posts

Does anyone please know a suitable replacement for the original Paper Oil element filter?

The original is Part No. LW 6/252

I have in the past noted two replacement numbers as follows:

FRAM CH815PL

or

Mann H728

I understand that both are now discontinued?

I have just matched a MANN equivalent to the FRAM CH815PL which is curiously given as H 804 t not the H728 that I had originally noted (the H804t is available) I am now wondering which is the correct replacement.

Any advice gratefully received.

I've just had mine serviced including a new oil filter. Phone Walsh's Engineering in Manchester, they will know the number and will be able to supply the filter from stock.

Edited by Athy

I have bought Fram recently, might have been old stock, but beware that they don't come fully assembled - the spring is not attached and the central rubber sealing ring may be shoved down the middle of the element.

If you look on ebay there's usually somebody selling them, sometimes 'genuine Gardner branded', no idea who made them. I've bought Fleetline branded ones in the past.

Yes Walshs should have them on the shelf.

Tim

I've just had mine serviced including a new oil filter. Phone Walsh's Engineering in Manchester, they will know the number and will be able to supply the filter from stock.

What did you have done?

TIA

Tia, I had the engine serviced, as I do every year. I wasn't there when the fitter did the job but I think it involved an oil change, new air, fuel and oil filters, and a visual check (for example he found a slighly leaking pipe which he cured).

Tim, surely genuine Gardner branded parts are made by, or for, Gardner's themselves?

Tim, surely genuine Gardner branded parts are made by, or for, Gardner's themselves?

Indeed so. I'm sure they wouldn't have made their own filters, I was just wondering who the actual maker might have been.

Tim

Thanks for the advice, I should have thought of contacting Walshe’s myself, I got it into my head that original parts were not available, can’t think why as I bought an original Gardner fuel filter from T Nielson in Gloucester last year.

Anyway, Walshe’s were very helpful (even dated my engine for me - 1969) and I should have my filter tomorrow (aren’t postal costs astronomical!).

For future reference and for anyone else looking for replacement filters I have discovered the following;

The FRAM CH 815 PL was a match (I used one last year) but is no longer manufactured (apparently).

The MANN H 728 doesn’t seem to exist

The alternative for the FRAM filter given in the MANN manual and on several search web sites is the MANN H 804t but I can confirm (I got one delivered this morning) it is nothing like either the FRAM filter or the Gardner.

Athy what air filter? I didn’t think the Gardner had one?

The parts I have on my desk now are marked :

Gardner L21779 and Mann H728x

The genuine Gardner one is available from:

Walshs:0161 787 7038

Gardner Parts: 01772 642460

Gardner Enthusiast: 01865 400703

Comments:

Walshs are a sound and reliable re builder.

They have an extensive in house stock of parts and some properly Gardner trained personnel.

http://www.gardnerdiesel.co.uk/

Gardner parts, spun off from the remains of Leyland Trucks own the Gardner name and source genuine parts.

They have the original build archives and certified my engine build date to help me with CE marking my boat.

In addition to Walshs they should be supported.

http://www.gardnerparts.co.uk/

Edited by andywatson