What Length of Ropes and is there a best type

DandGNWales

Featured Posts

I've got a short rope made up with a piling hook spliced on one end and a loop on the other that fits round one of the dollies on the rear deck. Works really well for many places where we stop and is quick and easy to use.

We have 2 centre lines, both have steel re-enforcers spliced into one end - sail makers whipping on the other. I attach them to the centre ring with a screw gate carabiner so they're quick to fit and remove. I have a carpet square with a slot cut in it that fits over the centre ring and protects the roof. I repaint the centre ring once a year with black smoothrite.

• 2 years later...

I much prefer a longer centre line. My measure is that if the boat is in a wide lock I should be able to take the end of the centre line and walk across the gates behind the boat to the other side.

I also like a nice thick rope that you can hold securely. And I don't use back splices at the end because just occasionally the rope may have to pass through a small loop or elsewhere that a back splice may jam, instead I use heat shrink sleeving.

I much prefer a longer centre line. My measure is that if the boat is in a wide lock I should be able to take the end of the centre line and walk across the gates behind the boat to the other side.

I also like a nice thick rope that you can hold securely. And I don't use back splices at the end because just occasionally the rope may have to pass through a small loop or elsewhere that a back splice may jam, instead I use heat shrink sleeving.

Sounds fair.

We have just taken delivery of 50m of 22mm polyhemp. New year, new lines....!

Daniel

Isn't that what d-shackles are for?

biggrin.png

I once saw a canalboat on the Thames trailing his stern line - which I thought was a disaster waiting to happen and believed it to be a mistake - but was given short shrift when I mentioned it...

Edited by Paringa

I like nice thick soft ropes so would go for 14 or 16mm nylon.

As to length, I like to keep the centre lines just too short to reach the prop. in our case with a 57ft boat 30ft centre ropes are safe. Stern ropes are always going to be a danger so keep them maneageable to store on the counter, say 20ft. I'd go for a nice long bow line which is handy if sturdy mooring points are few and far between.

Yes thats a good post. Some peeps like thinner lighter ropes but I am a firm beleiver in the thicker you can handle the better. Its not to do with strength because even the skinny stuff has strength but that on cold wet days if you need to boat then hands hate skinny ropes.

Tim

Regarding the comments about having a centre line that will not reach your prop.........it depends on the size of your boat

If my centre line was half the length of Shapfell it would only be about 12 foot..........and about as much use as a chocolate teapot unsure.png

I had the pleasure of locking down the Nene with an ex working boatman who is unfortunately no longer with us, he wasn't on a working boat and his centre line was about 6mm dia. with the end nicely coiled beside the slide which he just picked up as he stepped off. Mind you the way he boated he would probably managed just as well with a piece of string as he never needed to pull on it. Not many like him left now

I have a short stern rope, about 6ft with eyes on each end that can be very quickly passed through a ring and dropped onto a dolly.

I also have 2 long bow ropes which lie each side of the cabin roof so I can step off the stern with a bow rope in hand.

Don't see the point of a centre rope. It gets pretty windy round here and it would be very difficult to hold the boat against the wind with a centre rope

I have a short stern rope, about 6ft with eyes on each end that can be very quickly passed through a ring and dropped onto a dolly.

I also have 2 long bow ropes which lie each side of the cabin roof so I can step off the stern with a bow rope in hand.

Don't see the point of a centre rope. It gets pretty windy round here and it would be very difficult to hold the boat against the wind with a centre rope

They're quite good for looping round a bollard near to your stern, during an offshore wind, to hold you against the lock landing with a bit of forward power on. Then, when ready, just hit neutral, step off and retrieve centreline from bollard near to feet, plop back on cabin-top and motor smugly into the open lock.

They're quite good for looping round a bollard near to your stern, during an offshore wind, to hold you against the lock landing with a bit of forward power on. Then, when ready, just hit neutral, step off and retrieve centreline from bollard near to feet, plop back on cabin-top and motor smugly into the open lock.

Can do exactly the same with a bow rope.

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to have 6 ropes in use 2 30 ish foot bow and stern for boating with (never know where or what you need to tie to while boating) bow line coiled up on bow stern is coiled up on the slide with the tail and loop sat just out of the coil.

2 21 foot mooring ropes front and back (use them for just that when stopped)

I have a 37 foot middle line good for holding the boat in locks but just about long enough to pull the boat from the towpath by hand (usefull if the oil fed donkey dies)

And a 80 foot long line sat in front of the engine room (you never know when you may need a long line or a tow)

I also make sure there is a set of cross straps in the bow locker (again never know when you need a tow or give a tow. These can also be used for ropes and the back for when breasted up)

Bugger. I thought there might be some sort of crimp.

Google 'rope end sealing' or summat like that. You dip the fraying end of a rope in it, and it sets and seals the rope end. I'm not sure what it's called but you should get there with a bit of research.