Relative Values Of Historic Boats With A Conversion on?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Crikey, there are two like that? That one gets in the bloody way quite enough on its own, if it brought its friend with it then no one would be able to get anywhere.

At first I was puzzled how such a wide boat got on to a narrow canal, but I suppose it could get as far as Napton Bottom Lock before it had to turn round.

I vaguely remember this, but I can't remember a consensus as to what it was or anything else, so searching for the thread sans accurate search term has failed me!

**Edit, Athy, it's on the GU bit as you approach Braunston, wide canal.

Edited by Starcoaster

There was a thread about it a few years ago.

Thanks - but which key words would one use when searching the forum ? Bloated, ungainly, weird boat?

I vaguely remember this, but I can't remember a consensus as to what it was or anything else, so searching for the thread sans accurate search term has failed me!

Jeez, perhaps there are two of it. The one we passed a few weeks ago had been a few hundred yards Oxford side of Braunston Turn, but had migrated a bit further - Barby or somewhere round there. It did not look like something which could move easily. So there could be two different ones - but the white wiggly flash on the side looks the same.

When this craft was moored near Birdingbury I stopped to chat to the owner. He told me it had been built at Warwickshire Fly Boat Co for a gent who had sold it to him and his family. He told me it is a South Sea Islands Outrigger minus the mast and outrigger(s). He said originally he intended to get the boat to the coast and have it finished, this was a couple of years ago.

Obviously he has changed his plans as it is still around this area.

Thread here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59016&hl=%2Bsouth+%2Bsea+%2Bislands#entry1120396

I think there has been at least one other thread about this boat.

Edited by Ray T

When this craft was moored near Birdingbury I stopped to chat to the owner. He told me it had been built at Warwickshire Fly Boat Co for a gent who had sold it to him and his family. He told me it is a South Sea Islands Outrigger minus the mast and outrigger(s). He said originally he intended to get the boat to the coast and have it finished, this was a couple of years ago.

Not quite. The boat in its original form (without the bulge in the middle) used to be tied up round about Nelson Lane in Warwick, this is in the mid 80's, and would lean over quite alarmingly when you boated past, being quite unstable and tied up with some bits of old washing line. No idea who built it but the outrigger story was around then.

The bulge in the middle was added at WFBCo by Ken Freeman (unless my memory is playing tricks) and the boat disappeared up the arm where the then owner lived on it for a while.

Sorry for taking the thread further off topic.

If people want, I can produced a revised version of my original list of craft types, adding this one as a "Type 4",

I'm rather assuming Types 1 to 3 are all in higher demand for canal use, and generally attract a better price when marketed.

Mind you, maybe the relative rareness of this new "Type 4" would inflate a sale price?

Not quite. The boat in its original form (without the bulge in the middle) used to be tied up round about Nelson Lane in Warwick, this is in the mid 80's, and would lean over quite alarmingly when you boated past, being quite unstable and tied up with some bits of old washing line. No idea who built it but the outrigger story was around then.

The bulge in the middle was added at WFBCo by Ken Freeman (unless my memory is playing tricks) and the boat disappeared up the arm where the then owner lived on it for a while.

Fascinating, thank you.

Off topic perhaps, fascinating certainly. I vaguely thought that the side bulges were perhps an indication that it had once had paddle wheels. It now appears that they are stabilisers..

Alan, I am not sure that it was Barby but it was somewhere on the North Oxford. We passed it as we travelled to and from Shackerstone. It was tied up on what looked like an official nearside mooring (armco, grass cut back) but I can't remember exactly where.

I assume that an "outrigger" has floats projecting from each side to provide stability? Perhaps the original owner intended to take the boat down to the coast where these would have been added. Does it gave an engine? There is no visible way of steering it.

Edited by Athy

So Alan fancies a converted former working boat, here is a suggestion. He already owns Sickle, why not take her up to Braunston, get Roger Farrington to weld in an extra 25 ft and put a steel cabin on top. He can then get Wharfhouse Narrowboats, next door, to fit it out, problrm solved.

I'll get my coat

So Alan fancies a converted former working boat, here is a suggestion. He already owns Sickle, why not take her up to Braunston, get Roger Farrington to weld in an extra 25 ft and put a steel cabin on top. He can then get Wharfhouse Narrowboats, next door, to fit it out, problrm solved.

I'll get my coat

But why would anybody choose to have a 65 foot long boat?

And I wouldn't really have a converted former working boat, would I?

I would have a boat where only just over 60% of it was a former working boat.

Plus you know what happened the last time I tried speaking to Roger Farrington! :lol:

(Seriously though, even were I to vaguely think of messing up Sickle, (which I most certainly am not!), I suspect that lengthening a boat that has large radius round chines and a V bottom would prove to be a very expensive operation.)

Is it wood? perhaps comment was a bit obtuse.

Wooden narrow boats are certainly not "Trigger's brooms" because even if every plank of wood is replaced, except for the wooden bow knees, you still have the main shape of the boat left.

A perfectly good replica can be built from a full set of knees.

A wooden narrow boat, with the exception of a few Joeys, is a composite boat in the true sense of the word (as opposed to the "composites" which just have wooden bottoms) and the metal parts are the permanent bits of the boat, the rest was designed to be renewed through time.

I don't know if this has come up recently and this is probably not the right thread to put it on but WILLIAM built 1931 by Yarwood W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich is for sale. I don't know the asking price.

Now sold

Tim