Mooring at Slapton GU

Kristian

Featured Posts

Hi Im wanting a mooring as closed to the village of Slapton as I can get, Ive have a look on tinernet, nice moorings at Grove lock marina, closer would be nice and one of the 3 cart moorings at Slapton even better, anyone know of anything?

Thanks K

The CRT moorings offside above Slapton lock seem OK, but are only accessible across the lock.

When we looked at these, the actual staus and security of the small car park on the towpath side seemed a bit indeterminate!.

Only one mooring has ever been advertised there since.

The farm moorings Mike Tee mentions are actually offside above Horton lock, not below it.

The one we tried to get a boat into was very very shallow, even with a modern boat, and would have been hopeless for our deep draughted tug.

It is also a very, very smelly farm(!)

The story was that the moorings here were very cheap, and a cash in hand job to the farmer. However some people have recently left these moorings and are "continuously cruising" now, because we were told that CRT suddenly realised they should be receiving the "end of garden" fee for them in addition to what the farmer takes. My understanding was this doubled the cost to the customer, and hence we now have boats now tied up on nearby lock landings that once moored there! :banghead:

The story was that the moorings here were very cheap, and a cash in hand job to the farmer. However some people have recently left these moorings and are "continuously cruising" now, because we were told that CRT suddenly realised they should be receiving the "end of garden" fee for them in addition to what the farmer takes. My understanding was this doubled the cost to the customer, and hence we now have boats now tied up on nearby lock landings that once moored there! :banghead:

Have you offered them an ACC membership form??????

I'll just get me coat!!....

Cheers

Gareth

We had a mooring at slapton once, its pretty exposed and access over the lock. There is a water tap opposite.

I would not want to stay on the boat at Horton as Alan says its right where they muck out but used to be very cheap.

What about the farm moorings near Seabrook lock not much further away

• Greenie 1

as alan and Tuscan say and that farm mooring was very,very smelly last week as I went by it. seabrook moorings looked ok/nice but whether they have any spaces hard to say but they did have an old sign out saying moorings available. grove lock marina is very nice but I believe there is a waiting list so would advise getting on it. next nearest would be the crt moorings below tescos if there is any available

other than that there is nothing else

One has just gone at auction above Seabrook Lock 34.

Yes,

As Geoff of course knows, but others may not, most there are privately managed, but about 3 are CRT, but accessed over third party land.

Unlike most CRT leisure moorings this one was I think vey clearly marked up it was for leisure use only.

Not sure you indicated if you intend to live-aboard, but I think there are some moorings in this area where that would not matter, but some like the one Geoff mentions that could be problematic.

There are three groups of off-side moorings between bottom Seabrook lock and top Ivinghoe. I wouldn't know whether there are any vacancies although I recall a sign by the road bridge saying there was.

I'll echo the comments about Horton lock, I think I've only ever been there once in 25+ years and not had the pleasure of the smell of the local cattle's outgoings!

I believe there is one mooring vacant at Pitstone Wharf, on the Marsworth side of the railway bridge.

There's a ten boat waiting list at Grove Lock Marina

I know from chatting to local boaters that there's no vacancies at Seabrook (I think that's what they said it's called) either. Be careful about mooring in Slapton if you have a car. There are frequent break-ins to the cars near that moorings - you can see the broken glass all over the parking area by the side of the road. Talking to people in the pub in Slapton last month, they say its the local traveller community who have a large settlement in the area doing the break-ins. (But travellers get blamed for everything, I suppose)

If you can bear to be a few miles away there have been moorings advertised in Marsworth recently. Other than that I only know about Milton Keynes marina having vacancies along the stretch of the GU, but that's miles away.

There's a ten boat waiting list at Grove Lock Marina

I know from chatting to local boaters that there's no vacancies at Seabrook (I think that's what they said it's called) either. Be careful about mooring in Slapton if you have a car. There are frequent break-ins to the cars near that moorings - you can see the broken glass all over the parking area by the side of the road. Talking to people in the pub in Slapton last month, they say its the local traveller community who have a large settlement in the area doing the break-ins. (But travellers get blamed for everything, I suppose)

If you can bear to be a few miles away there have been moorings advertised in Marsworth recently. Other than that I only know about Milton Keynes marina having vacancies along the stretch of the GU, but that's miles away.

Moorings at Seabrook are split into several types.

Going south, from Lock 33 to Bridge 123, there is Vicarage Farm (Ivinghoe Turf) where there is a sign saying moorings available but as Alan says a call often finds a waiting list. Also there are plans for a marina directly opposite at the old Golf driving range so I am not sure what that may mean for the number of boats allowed opposite.

Between Bridge 123 and Lock 34 there are firstly private moorings at the Brownlow, which is for sale at the moment so some possible uncertainty about the future. There has been some turnover of boats there recently. There are then 3/4 boat lengths of CRT moorings immediately before the lock after the stream that share access with the private moorings above the lock.

Above Lock 34 there is a stretch of private moorings where again there has been some turnover recently, followed by the 3 CRT moorings mentioned above that also share the same access. This is where one has just gone by auction after it was listed and then withdrawn due to a 'dispute of the leisure status' and then relisted and sold. I can only assume that it was to try and make sure it would not be used as a liveaboard mooring as Alan says.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I've been cruising the Berko to Marsworth area (and cycling further north) whilst having an extended vacation on my NB Merchant. After initially living on the cut at Cowley for five years, for the past eight yrs my home mooring has been in Southall at a private dock/marina. Had forgotten what a great bunch you all are out here and miss the 'real boating' community so much that will keep looking for a mooring between Slapton and Kings Langley for as long as it takes.

Currently at Cowroast but probably moving back upto Berko (Waitrose) in a day or two for practicalities. Maybe then back to Marsworth for a few days, just love it there so much.

Now, where's that sun gone?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Markinaboat