We're picking the boat up on Monday OMG!!!!!

Sade

Featured Posts

• 5 weeks later...

I found so much information on this forum using the search facility. You will get differing opinions of course but for internet connections the consensus at the time seemed to be that the network with the best and most consistent signal overall was 3 but mainly when independently by means of a dongle or portable mi-fi rather than tethered via a mobile phone. Having cruised around various parts of the country since I got mine in April I have never had any problems.

The main issue when cruising around and not hooked into a shoreline source is the electrics and how to manage. There is heaps of information on here by some very knowledgeable folk, some of which went over my head but nevertheless I learnt so much.

We've bought an unlocked Wuawei E3131 and a Three SIM (3gig over 3 months), and as a backup, we've got a Giffgaff PAYG SIM,so I think we're covered.

The current hassle is the CART license. We've got insurance, but the BSS work won't be finished till next Monday. There is an existing BSS cert, but the boat yard can't find it! They say that CART will have it on record, but we want to get the license via a local agent. Will they be able to access CART records to track it down? (And they don't answer the phone.)

We intend to 'move in' on Tuesday, and move out (of the marina) the next weekend. That's getting too close for comfort...

160 miles was enough to find a boat, but it's far too far for convenient logistics of the removal.

Meanwhile, Jenny and I are rowing over trivial details.

Eek!

Wish us luck.

Roger

PS I wish CART's "coming soon" journey planner to cope with closures would come sooner, timing our voyage to suit is a challenge when we don't know how fast (with locks) we'll be going.

Edited by MyLady

Don't sweat too much over the license. As long as you have made efforts to get one, I think CART will be ok.

The BSS is more important to get.

IME, CART are ok as long as you are showing best efforts to get BSS sorted and pay the license. I've had the local enforcement officer give me several month's grace, as I was able to state the date I'd booked for the BSS examination (and give surveyor's name).

MyLady,

With regard to planning your journey (s) - you may well find the (wonderful - and free) Canalplan website (here) is an invaluable aid.

Have a play with it (you can't break it) - tho' you'll have to make paper adjustments for any CRT closures . . but we've found it invaluable

I mjust admit that the closures were the big thing - the reason why CRT's planner was attractive - but Canalplan looks like it handles issues we'd not even anticipated. I epect I'll find out by searchin the site, but in, "some overnight stops have been moved to avoid unsuitable stopping places" do you know what the site thinks are "unsuitablle" places, and why?

Still, many thanks for the link. It looks like it will be very helpful.

Roger

Don't sweat too much over the license. As long as you have made efforts to get one, I think CART will be ok.

The BSS is more important to get.

IME, CART are ok as long as you are showing best efforts to get BSS sorted and pay the license. I've had the local enforcement officer give me several month's grace, as I was able to state the date I'd booked for the BSS examination (and give surveyor's name).

We think we've got this sorted - a relatively local boat yard is an 'agent' for CART - and a phone call to the trust produced the details of the current crtificate (expiry date 2016). It was just that the survey indicated some faults that needed to be rectified (at the vendor's expense) so then we'll have a new one (the surveyor is also a BSS inspector). Also the broker who's handled the sale can't find a copy of the current one (but they did tell us that CART would know).

I'm gathering by now that CART's documentation is very strict and beaurocratic, but their officers ae much more friendly, e.g. the application form demands a phiysical copy of the BSSC, but on the phone, the lass looked up the certificate number and expiry date from her records and was happy that that info would be enough to get a licence.

I expect most of my worries are in my imagintion, but they feel real to me!

We're going to see the CART agent tomorrow...

Roger

I believe that most of the unsuitable places listed on Canalplan were, on the routes I've used, where there were rivers without moorings, or where canals were too narrow or where moorings were not available

I'm happy to tie up to mooring pins, but a narrow stretch of canal seems to me obviously not a good idea. I'd wondered if they were avoiding town centres frequented by vandals (and similar).

Roger

I'm happy to tie up to mooring pins, but a narrow stretch of canal seems to me obviously not a good idea. I'd wondered if they were avoiding town centres frequented by vandals (and similar).

Roger

No - I really don't think so . . besides . . . there are really very few places that you are likely to experience problems from third parties - - and if you published your intended journey plan on the forum, I have no doubt that you will receive a wealth of useful advice from members whom know each area intimately

I mjust admit that the closures were the big thing - the reason why CRT's planner was attractive - but Canalplan looks like it handles issues we'd not even anticipated. I epect I'll find out by searchin the site, but in, "some overnight stops have been moved to avoid unsuitable stopping places" do you know what the site thinks are "unsuitablle" places, and why?

Still, many thanks for the link. It looks like it will be very helpful.

Roger

Canalplan won't put an overnight on tidal rivers, within certain lock flights, tunnels etc.

Every location in canalplan has a "mooring rating" which once it gets enough data it can then start to use to extend the feature to allow it to do things like suggesting stopping early at a good mooring point or pushing on through a "poor" section to another good mooring.

Canalplan won't put an overnight on tidal rivers, within certain lock flights, tunnels etc.

Every location in canalplan has a "mooring rating" which once it gets enough data it can then start to use to extend the feature to allow it to do things like suggesting stopping early at a good mooring point or pushing on through a "poor" section to another good mooring.

Trouble with that is one person's "poor" section could well be another persons "best" section.

Everyone is different and everyone likes different things from a mooring.

Trouble with that is one person's "poor" section could well be another persons "best" section.

Everyone is different and everyone likes different things from a mooring.

Very true, we went on holiday with another boat and our idea of paradise moorings was their idea of hell.

:)

Very true, we went on holiday with another boat and our idea of paradise moorings was their idea of hell.

smile.png

If someone is giving us the whole horror story run down on a particular mooring, we make a point of asking them if they have ever been.

Nine times out of ten they say no but so and so told them it was this that and the other.

We make our own mind up about a place and thus far have yet to find anywhere we wouldnt moor again.

If someone is giving us the whole horror story run down on a particular mooring, we make a point of asking them if they have ever been.

Nine times out of ten they say no but so and so told them it was this that and the other.

We make our own mind up about a place and thus far have yet to find anywhere we wouldnt moor again.

Ditto

:)

Next instalment... (appologies for hijacking the thread, but except it's Tuesday, it is on topic!)

Went to Rodley Boat Centre today, local agents for CaRT - lovely chap, been working on the cut, possibly all in Rodley, for 40 years. That came out because Milady's serial number only has 5 digits: he can remember not just 4 digit ones, but back before any numbers at all!

Anyway, he took our cheque and issued an "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF APPLICATION" so we're covered till the real license arrives.

Is the best way to post our route, to cut'n'paste? If so which part? The whole is very, very long.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love the hijacking.....it's all relevant for us newbies! We're still not moved on as the house is taking longer than anticipated but trudging down the cut every weekend is an eye opener ....plus our stove is out of action so it's bloody freezing on the boat but all good and still enjoying the experience. as suspected, partially moving on at this time of year is proving more than useful in the grand learning curve and just making us determined to do things right. Every step is helping us to get everything done properly....we've even discovered a leak above the stove (through the butterfly type hatch above it) not sure of the right terminology but anyway, whatever it is, it's leaking! Maybe we can utilize this as an easy source of water hahahaha!

Glad you got the license business sorted. ;)

we've even discovered a leak above the stove (through the butterfly type hatch above it) not sure of the right terminology but anyway, whatever it is, it's leaking!

Perhaps pigeon box or dog box. One is bigger than the other but I've forgotten which is which.

Yeah maybe a pigeon box come to think of it.....anyway, it's leaking but only in one corner and shouldnt' be too hard to fix up. Quite funny how you look at a boat and all seems perfect until you buy it and use it...then all the little problems start hahahahaa....we are not worried just want to get moved on now so we can deal with them as they happen :)

I found so much information on this forum using the search facility. You will get differing opinions of course but for internet connections the consensus at the time seemed to be that the network with the best and most consistent signal overall was 3 but mainly when independently by means of a dongle or portable mi-fi rather than tethered via a mobile phone. Having cruised around various parts of the country since I got mine in April I have never had any problems.

The main issue when cruising around and not hooked into a shoreline source is the electrics and how to manage. There is heaps of information on here by some very knowledgeable folk, some of which went over my head but nevertheless I learnt so much.

Thanks for that. We got a Three SIM and an unlocked Huawei dongle and so far no problems. We also got a GiffGaff SIM, which is the only one we've seen that provides genuine PAYG (by which I mean that if you don't use it, your credit isn't used and it doesn't run out with time), to try if Three reception isn't available.

Incidentally, we cruised past you today while you were digging weeds out of the canal. You smiled and waved and I think you said something but the engine noise drowned you out, sorry if that seemed rude but it wasn't deliberate. I didn't remember your boat name until I read the topic again. Sorry.

Roger

I suspect that we'll be making our first voyage through the closure season - any advice how to cope?

check here for the canals you will be travelling and their stoppages.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Thanks for that, but we had the link already. I now realise my question wasn't clear enough. The question was meant to be: how to cope, for instance, with the fact that the Atherstone flight has several locks closed, from before we set off until 21st December - and we'll reach there this week with our luck - through which our planned route goes? Does CaRT extend the 14 days CC mooring limit until the locks are open? (Actually, we'll want to go home to the family over Christmas so we'd like a seasonal extension too.) If not, what should we do, steam to and fro, doing exactly what genuine CCers are not supposed to do? Actually, I hope this specific issue will, coincidentally, go away: we need some advice & work doing on our electrics, so we may be able to leave Milady with Onboard Energy, officially 'off the cut' I hope, while they tweak up our electric power system.

The family of problems remains. How do we cope when the CCing regs and closures conflict?

And also, just as your answer tried to do, what have we overlooked? Don't worry if it's so flipping obvious that we ought to know already, if we do we'll pat ourselves on the back and give genuine thanks to whoever tried to help.

Thanks again,

Roger

Edited by MyLady

MyLady,

With regard to planning your journey (s) - you may well find the (wonderful - and free) Canalplan website (here) is an invaluable aid.

Have a play with it (you can't break it) - tho' you'll have to make paper adjustments for any CRT closures . . but we've found it invaluable

This was wonderful, but bits confused me: why ask for a specific start date then STILL just show, "first day", "second day" and so on? Come to think of it, given closures, that's still best: the "fourth day" may be a month or even two after starting out (the Atherstone flight), but it's still the fourth day cruising!

Absolutely love the hijacking.....it's all relevant for us newbies! We're still not moved on as the house is taking longer than anticipated but trudging down the cut every weekend is an eye opener ....plus our stove is out of action so it's bloody freezing on the boat but all good and still enjoying the experience. as suspected, partially moving on at this time of year is proving more than useful in the grand learning curve and just making us determined to do things right. Every step is helping us to get everything done properly....we've even discovered a leak above the stove (through the butterfly type hatch above it) not sure of the right terminology but anyway, whatever it is, it's leaking! Maybe we can utilize this as an easy source of water hahahaha!

Glad you got the license business sorted. wink.png

You sound much younger than I am now. I still remember being like that. Now I'm older and much more creaky, things which I took for granted when I was 30 scare me witless, at least in anticipation, so far (5 nights on board. 1 day cruising) things turn out better than I'd feared.

<PANIC> The water pump just stopped pumping! Switched off and on again, tried the other sink, but it still doesn't work! Thought ... check the fuse! As soon as I started to unscrew the fuse holder, the pump started working again. <end panic>

It's like that! Gets the adrenalin pumping, doesn't it? judge.gif

Oh yes, the real license discs came, so now we're not just legal, but seen to be legal! I expect the new BSS cert will arrive soon.

I think I'm starting to calm down. I fell in a lock some months ago - and suffered nothing but bruises from when they pulled me out. My pension scheme is generous, so, "it's only money" is a relatively simple solution.

IT'S GOING TO WORK OUT FINE! (I've almost convinced myself...)

Enjoy yurselves,

Roger

Edited by MyLady