Anchor pub

romanyrose

Featured Posts

So did I. Second phew!

Phew three, that's what went through my mind when I saw the title of the post.

Macclesfield seems to be bucking the trend of pub closures, another brand new pub is due to open in town this week & it promises to be a real cracking addition to the vibrant local pub/beer scene.

It appears that the Anchor pub Diglis basin has closed,great shame will be much missed by locals and boaters

a proper canal side pub with dart and crib teams as well as the renowned belly buster breakfast

Nothing to do with not enough people going to the pub and buying the beer and belly busting breakfasts then?

Sadly, it seems that Nanny State disapproves of everything which goes on in pubs, smoking, drinking, belly-buster breakfasts.

I must admit that I was completely unaware that the Nanny State had banned either drinking or belly-buster breakfasts in pubs.

Perhaps I need to look at news pages a bit more often?

(I was aware they had got rid of smoking in pubs though, and, like millions of others, I'm at least very grateful for that!)

Sadly, it seems that Nanny State disapproves of everything which goes on in pubs, smoking, drinking, belly-buster breakfasts.

Far better that we all sit at home being spoon-fed BBC Government propaganda.

"Closed-down pub" is a symbol of the age...

What a stupid comment!!

The LVA locally have said they have seen a GROWTH in customers since the smoking ban was introduced in Wales, after an initial drop, and a new pub has just opened in town.

No-one has stopped anything else, as far as I can see.

As for The Anchor in Diglis, I suspect it is now in the wrong place, as there have been lots of "wine bar" type flats built in the area, plus an influx of somewhat less salubrious "residents" put into a few flats around the inner basin.

(We used to live in Worcester!!)

Worcester has some superb pubs that are thriving. The Plough and the Cardinal's Hat are as good as you'll get anywhere; the Dragon, the Saracen's Head, the Swan with Two Nicks, the Firefly are all good. We moor at Diglis (about two boats away from the Anchor, in fact!) but I have to admit we rarely went there... there's just too many good pubs nearby.

Phew! I thought you meant The Anchor at Hartshill, a regular haunt of ours when we moored at Springwood Haven. It did close for a wile after the landlord/ landlady/ both cleared off, but reopened under Mark and was better.

Any place which advertises a Belly Buster meal will not be receiving my custom. My belly is already of adequate size and I don't want it busting, thank you all the same.

Apart from being maddening quirky, what is so great about the Anchor at High Offley? One not very good beer, 6x and a selection of miserable old men smoking roll ups outside. Once you have been you don't have to go again. Stands back and awaits incoming.

Agreed. You forgot the nasal "folk" singing, the usual mob of boaters moaning about something that Waterways had either done or not done, the lovely caravan site and the charming landlady. It WAS good, when her husband, Graham, ran it and fewer "real ale enthusiasts" went there, but no longer.

Phew three, that's what went through my mind when I saw the title of the post.

Macclesfield seems to be bucking the trend of pub closures, another brand new pub is due to open in town this week & it promises to be a real cracking addition to the vibrant local pub/beer scene.

Hello Brian,

We meet many boaters who enthuse about The Anchor at High Offley and only hope that it continues to trade long after the present owner retires, it's iconic to say the least.

We have friends who moor their boat in Shardlow and say that the pub trade seems to survive well there too. Must be loads of beer bellies there as well as Macc...! :-)

Edited by Doorman

Worcester has some superb pubs that are thriving. The Plough and the Cardinal's Hat are as good as you'll get anywhere; the Dragon, the Saracen's Head, the Swan with Two Nicks, the Firefly are all good. We moor at Diglis (about two boats away from the Anchor, in fact!) but I have to admit we rarely went there... there's just too many good pubs nearby.

All of those pub names reminded me of a few that I recall from years gone by. One in particular was 'The Cockwell Inn'. I'm convinced that the brewery who owned it were having a laugh and it should have been a brothel instead!

Apart from being maddening quirky, what is so great about the Anchor at High Offley? One not very good beer, 6x and a selection of miserable old men smoking roll ups outside..

I don't recall having a smoke with you there anytime!

Edited by Doorman

I was rather hoping it was the Anchor on the River Wey. They seem intent on destroying their customers' taste buds by adding Jalapeño peppers to their coleslaw and not even warning about it on their menus.

When I wrote to complain about inaccurate menu descriptions they ignored the breach of description aspect and said they were keeping up with popular taste. Still, nice to know one pub chain that feels it can do without multi-place bookings several times a year.

Apart from being maddening quirky, what is so great about the Anchor at High Offley? One not very good beer, 6x and a selection of miserable old men smoking roll ups outside. Once you have been you don't have to go again. Stands back and awaits incoming.

The Anchor at High Offley is one of my favourite pubs. It's hard to put into words why, I've just got so many happy memories of times spent there with good company & good ale. I'm well aware that it's not too everyone's taste & the place would be far to busy if it was ;-)

Hello Brian,

We meet many boaters who enthuse about The Anchor at High Offley and only hope that it continues to trade long after the present owner retires, it's iconic to say the least.

We have friends who moor their boat in Shardlow and say that the pub trade seems to survive well there too. Must be loads of beer bellies there as well as Macc...! :-)

Hi Mike,

Yes, possibly iconic could be used to describe the Anchor, or maybe even "Marmite" as folk seem to love it or hate it :-)

Yes, there's certainly a strong real ale following in Macc, but they don't all have a beer bellies & beards like me ;-)

ATB, Brian

i say it is a shame it has closed as i feel it is a proper boozer and i feel that in its location and inadequate parking that there is little else that could be done with the place.

btw im not saying that it wouldn't have benefited a little make over (say a couple of hundred thousand) but the local area has lost a good local pub that does a brilliant dirty breakfast :)

alas as times have changed !!! lets wait to see the cheap crap refit completed by the landlords and new tenants thinking they can make a quick quid followed by them closing in 6 month.

i do feel sorry for the staff who worked where, i hope they find new employment asap!