What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

What tyre did you use as I take it there is no wire in it?

The tyre was provided with the fender, it doesn't have any wire in it. I don't know what it was but I think it was obtained from a tyre place in Stafford.

• 3 weeks later...

Used the new cylinder carrying cradle for the bike trailer today to replace an empty 13kg bottle with a full one for the boat. 2 miles from the boat to the vendor. Fortunately, the up hill stretch was on the way out with the empty bottle. Made the trailer and cradle over the summer. The trailer has seen a fair bit of use since, but the cradle has only had a quick test run up till today. The gas cylinder is ratchet strapped down while in transit.

Jen

bike-trailer.jpg.b2da23a5120c6aecb249d98693dddefb.jpg

• Greenie 1

I use roll flat hose for filling the water tank. It packs down very compactly when not in use, but its light weight means it tends to get blasted out of the tank fill point with any sort of pressure behind it. Some years ago I made a gadget from a length of 22mm plastic pipe and a spray nozzle hose attachment to clip to the end of the hose and give enough weight to keep it in the filler pipe. This works reasonably well, but I decided to make something smaller and neater.

The deck fitting filler plug on my and many other boats has a 1 1/4" BSP thread. I bought a plastic cap fitting with the same thread. A hole was drilled through to take a 15mm compression to 3/4" BSP brass coupler. Without the olive, the back nut on the 15mm compression end acted as a nut to hold it in place. A standard hose lock connector goes on the 3/4 BSP end. Also drilled 12 of 4mm diameter holes to relieve any pressure build up and allow excess air and water to escape. The tank has an air vent, but this is an additional safety measure.

IMG_20201106_112857.jpg.fa1346002e806641e84e9ef3fea58463.jpg

Old (below) and new (above) end fittings to hold a hose in the filler point.

IMG_20201106_112646.jpg.2b8f3886ed507e5529c760fd3d48c664.jpg

The new fitting in place, ready to attach the hose.

It has been tested and works well. Total cost, less than ten pounds.

It would be possible, with a lathe, to turn the whole thing in one piece, either in a good engineering plastic, or in metal. Only an o-ring would be needed to seal the hose lock connection. I have neither the skill, or access to the equipment to do this unfortunately, so it had to be done with five parts, not two.

Jen

45 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I use roll flat hose for filling the water tank. It packs down very compactly when not in use, but its light weight means it tends to get blasted out of the tank fill point with any sort of pressure behind it. Some years ago I made a gadget from a length of 22mm plastic pipe and a spray nozzle hose attachment to clip to the end of the hose and give enough weight to keep it in the filler pipe. This works reasonably well, but I decided to make something smaller and neater.

The deck fitting filler plug on my and many other boats has a 1 1/4" BSP thread. I bought a plastic cap fitting with the same thread. A hole was drilled through to take a 15mm compression to 3/4" BSP brass coupler. Without the olive, the back nut on the 15mm compression end acted as a nut to hold it in place. A standard hose lock connector goes on the 3/4 BSP end. Also drilled 12 of 4mm diameter holes to relieve any pressure build up and allow excess air and water to escape. The tank has an air vent, but this is an additional safety measure.

It would be possible, with a lathe, to turn the whole thing in one piece, either in a good engineering plastic, or in metal. Only an o-ring would be needed to seal the hose lock connection. I have neither the skill, or access to the equipment to do this unfortunately, so it had to be done with five parts, not two.

Jen

Someone is making them but the name escapes me at the moment, in Waterways world about 3 months ago

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Someone is making them but the name escapes me at the moment, in Waterways world about 3 months ago

image.png.301bb4725aa52029278e426bc45dc63a.png

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Fulbourne's water tank has no deck filler, just a permanent rigid pipe with a hose lock connector on the end, for attaching the hose directly. Works well.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I use a flat hose too, but connecting it to a short length of standard hosepipe at the tank end works fine for me. :)

I am ready to fill my tank with fresh diesel, so added ten litres after breaking my existing dip stick, I have been keeping a strict eye on fuel consumption and have been over cautious, I think I have a tank which is one third full ( maybe 52+ l), and I still have three containers which must be at least 18litres each.

I failed to get a decent sample out of the bottom, so added fuelset 19, I stirred up the fuel, and ran the engine for two hours to simulate a choppy trip on the Trent. There was a great big burst of blue smoke at start up which is unusual, but it soon went to normal running smoothly.

Should I replace the fuel filter now, it was done in March, and I haven't done much mileage, I'm pretty sure I don't have diesel bug, but was thinking about slicing the old filter oprn to see if there is any slime.

I am going to fill the grease cylinder, how would I know if the stern tube needs the rope replaced, there is a piece of black rope, 1cm sqare, is this the rope, there is only a  sample, should I order some more?

I'll check weedhatch before I go on the Trent, should I do any more engine maintenance? Everything gets a good inspection once a month.

Edited by LadyG

• 3 weeks later...

Do you remember in the late 60's we had to have colured baths, and you could buy paint....... Looked OK 'til, you  actually tried to have a bath.

Well, I was brushing some black paint (Rustoleum Combi) on the rubbing stakes, knowing how difficult it is to get rid of it on any surfsce, I painted the worktops, and then the sink. Looks great, I am not recommending this btw!

PS being in an isolated location, and really struggling, and being short of food, and drink (very heavy to carry), I got Morissons Doorstep Delivery, it's a six hour delivery slot, but we sorted that out, so my grub arrived, and I can relax.

just had a perfect teatime sandwich, and a glass of best Sauvignon., Arthur had his new Iam's wet cat food., which went down well.

Edited by LadyG

Fettled! Definitely been fettling today! I am building a tiny studio narrowboat,  just 20ft long. (14'5" internal cabin)I no longer have woodworking machinery of any sort, and my only power tools are an orbital sander, a jigsaw, then a battery driver. After that its just hand tools to torture wood with. I have a very small inverter onboard, as I'm rarely going to need 240, ( !! ) and no hook up, but i have fitted 2 solar panels. This is a 5 year old hull, came to me with just sprayfoam and a floor to fall through, not even ballast. 

So far I have got the outside to undercoat/ top coat mix, fitted ports, an outboard, antislipped,  solar, nav and tunnel lights, blacking. Then ballasted, ?, new base floor, electric system (no gas going in) (water will just be a sink with water container pumped up, as no water tank, and not much need for gallons on a studio boat) new stove etc, full line out, painted, and the beginnings of the fire safe panels at the side of the stove so I don't lose space for work and storage space. The protection panels will be (are) gunwale height, into a 45 degree then down.

So...the scream causing fettling today....

Making the trim to go over said panels, which are 12.5mm fireboard,  37mm airgap, 9mm ply. I will do it like we used to, she says, when we used to use a router! Take out a few mm in channels so it fits neatly over the top, further securing the upright boards, covering nicely.  Except....

No router.

Inverter won't run even a palm router.

Hey, I have chisels! 

Oh dear gods.....

I could be here some time! ???

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 3

Not done anything today, but did look through a few posts at the start of this thread.

Dating back to 2013, interesting to see so many names that no longer appear.

Though nothing like the “introduce yourself” thread, going back to 2004.

Edited by dor

23 minutes ago, dor said:

Not done anything today, but did look through a few posts at the start of this thread.

Dating back to 2013, interesting to see so many names that no longer appear.

Though nothing like the “introduce yourself” thread, going back to 2004.

I have wondered why many posters of ten years ago or so,have stopped posting.

Have they given up boating?died?moved to TB?or taken the huff at being disagreed with?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Have they given up boating?died?moved to TB?or taken the huff at being disagreed with?

Or just got bored with the same topics coming up again and again, with little new content.

15 hours ago, Ally said:

Fettled! Definitely been fettling today! I am building a tiny studio narrowboat,  just 20ft long. (14'5" internal cabin)I no longer have woodworking machinery of any sort, and my only power tools are an orbital sander, a jigsaw, then a battery driver. After that its just hand tools to torture wood with. I have a very small inverter onboard, as I'm rarely going to need 240, ( !! ) and no hook up, but i have fitted 2 solar panels. This is a 5 year old hull, came to me with just sprayfoam and a floor to fall through, not even ballast. 

So far I have got the outside to undercoat/ top coat mix, fitted ports, an outboard, antislipped,  solar, nav and tunnel lights, blacking. Then ballasted, ?, new base floor, electric system (no gas going in) (water will just be a sink with water container pumped up, as no water tank, and not much need for gallons on a studio boat) new stove etc, full line out, painted, and the beginnings of the fire safe panels at the side of the stove so I don't lose space for work and storage space. The protection panels will be (are) gunwale height, into a 45 degree then down.

So...the scream causing fettling today....

Making the trim to go over said panels, which are 12.5mm fireboard,  37mm airgap, 9mm ply. I will do it like we used to, she says, when we used to use a router! Take out a few mm in channels so it fits neatly over the top, further securing the upright boards, covering nicely.  Except....

No router.

Inverter won't run even a palm router.

Hey, I have chisels! 

Oh dear gods.....

I could be here some time! ???

Can't you borrow someone nearby with a workshop and some tools? Or at least a neighbour with mains power to run the palm router?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

I left for a few years mainly initially because of the website changes, I couldn't find my way around so easily, but that seems to have improved,  but also boredom and getting fed up with the bickering at the time.  I then left boaty life almost,  for over 4 years to care for my mother. She has now passed and I'm back on board in all senses, though not as involved as I used to be. There are still a good many names I remember,  and a few i miss.

• Greenie 3

Yes, Edwardian. (Sorry, Couldn’t help myself there. ) They are in lockdown, obviously, but pop into the office periodically and saw my email that I wrote yesterday. They phoned me and I ordered and paid all within ten minutes. We had discussed what we wanted 2 1/2 years ago. 

Get it second week in December.

Hope you are both well. Are you going to Yorkshire at the end of the week?

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes, Edwardian. (Sorry, Couldn’t help myself there. ) They are in lockdown, obviously, but pop into the office periodically and saw my email that I wrote yesterday. They phoned me and I ordered and paid all within ten minutes. We had discussed what we wanted 2 1/2 years ago. 

Get it second week in December.

Hope you are both well. Are you going to Yorkshire at the end of the week?

A good choice, ours is megga comfy if a bit heavy!! Yes popping up for mums birthday on friday, taking a twenty ton truck to carry all the candles ?

• Happy 1