What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Black 5mm pinstripe put around rear panels between yellow and Chalky White + insets to finish off the removal/recoat of scumble. On advise I used Craftmaster One Shot signwriting enamel as it has got additional pigment and good for pinstripes etc.

Next job = put on boat number.

2/3 Completed (Rear Panel Inset not done)

20200926_113012.jpg

Completed

20200926_132249.jpg

Edited by mark99

On 10/09/2020 at 16:28, ditchcrawler said:

An update. I was passing sheet piling, the thick stuff and we heard a loud ping, later I spotted the skin fitting was missing. Here is the temporary repair, a piece of branch hammered into the hole where the engine room sink drain was and the remains of the skin fitting, Good job it wasnt on the waterline

DSCF4234.JPG

DSCF4229small.jpg

We now have a josha washer with a genuine washer 

smallDSCF4343.jpg

The oak faced MDF veneer on the inside of both sets of my side doors had become a bit tired after 15 years so I've just covered them with some cheap wood effect vinyl flooring from Amazon. It's about 2mm thick and easy to cut with scissors. Although the vinyl is self adhesive that's on floors not walls, so I stuck it over the 1" thick MDF with some clear Stixall. I'm not sure what sort of MDF the builder used but it's never blown so it must be an external grade.

I've still got to screw the little brass handles back on but I'm happy with the result. It seems like a good waterproof alternative to wood veneer for those times when the hatch is open and it starts raining. No varnishing required. Good alternative to scrumbling too.

IMG_20200929_203104_064.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dave moore said:

Ah, ok. I seem to recall you having a pop at my lack of IT skills some time ago. That’s fine with me, the present sits uneasily with this old fart at times, a condition that has existed since my youth in the 60s when I first discovered canals. My early experiences were entered around working boats, ex working boats or similar style craft and LTC Rolt’s Narrow Boat struck a chord regarding old school craftsmanship which echoes, albeit, dimly, to this day.

Since the early 80s I’ve practised my trade of traditional style signwriting and boat decoration, proud to have worked with some of the best respected names in the business in old style boatbuilding.and I’ve little interest, if any, in the contemporary liveries that grace some modern craft, though I sometimes admire the technical skills of the painters that produce them.

There is nothing pretentious, or crappy, about maintaining a tradition that I grew to love as a young man, though I understand that it may be difficult for a modern boater without that background to comprehend.  The present day ethos exhibited by many is little to my liking, my contemporaries and I had the better times. I still enjoy the job I do, though I’m circumspect about those I take on these days. No wine glass clutching frogs will ever dance down a cabin side painted by me....or those in buckets either.

I am with Dave on this one. 

The "Roses & Castles" is one of the few traditional English art forms we have left. 

Some of the modern commercial artifacts are questionable, I'm reasonably sure the working boaters never had scrubbing brushes, wooden spoons etc., decorated with roses. This is why people need to be educated.

I am well aware my boat is a "Noddy boat" but I like to perpetuate the tradition as best as I can.

I often get folks asking me why my boat has the decorations it does. This enables me to "bore the pants" of people regaling the whys and wherefores of the history of our canals. We are witnessing the last days  of the working narrowboaters, it would be a shame if this 250 year old history and its traditions were to be lost.

IMGP3268.JPG

IMGP2905.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I am with Dave on this one. 

The "Roses & Castles" is one of the few traditional English art forms we have left. 

Some of the modern commercial artifacts are questionable, I'm reasonably sure the working boaters never had scrubbing brushes, wooden spoons etc., decorated with roses. This is why people need to be educated.

I am well aware my boat is a "Noddy boat" but I like to perpetuate the tradition as best as I can.

I often get folks asking me why my boat has the decorations it does. This enables me to "bore the pants" of people regaling the whys and wherefores of the history or our canals. We are witnessing the last days  of the working narrowboaters, it would be a shame if this 250 year old history and its traditions were to be lost.

IMGP3268.JPG

IMGP2905.JPG

In my view a tidy, well looked after boat is just that. Something to behold.

On 24/08/2020 at 21:48, PhilR said:

What have I fettled today?

After several BSS advisories over the years on the lack of low level ventilation I have finally killed 2 birds with one stone.

I have cut out the bottom panels of the front doors (which were rotting) and fixed massive ventilation grills to both doors

and beaded them up. Staining/varnishing is the next job.

But I suspect it mighty be a bit draughty in the front cabin during winter with OTT ventilation?

Hey pal, how did you get on with this? This is exactly what i plan on doing to my front doors but they will also be right next to the bed so i too am curious about the draughtiness levels.... did you come up a with a solution at all? or have you found they're not as breezy as you thought? 

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

@mark99

In answer to your previous question the red is Craftmaster red.

I'm not allowed to use the dining room table, it is the garage for me.

Just a light rub down then a coat of varnish.

IMGP5047.JPG

I have space in the dry dock.  ;)

Me and my mate wheeled his motorbike in his front room and serviced it (I was 18). We spilled the oil on the carpet.,.....

Edited by mark99

Just now, mark99 said:

I have space in the dry dock.  ;)

Me and my mate wheeled his motorbike in his front room and serviced it (I was 18). We spilled the oil on the carpet.,.....

About 23 years ago when I was widowed I discovered one positive about being single, I could wash a carburettor in the kitchen sink without getting a rolliking. 

The current Mrs T is a gem, she knows a car and boat are never finished.

At last a weather + work window to  do the boat numbers. This was via an inverse stencil - a mask. Ie put on  temp numbers onto new chalky white paint, paint over numbers in signwriters "one shot" thick paint ... the dark colour and remove numbers with tweezers to reveal the paint underneath. It's cheating..... but at least vinyl free.  ;)

20201011_113836_resized_1.jpg

Edited by mark99