What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. And of course we only found out they were not working when it was dark and we needed them ?

All working now but we are going to replace the top light unit when we get back as it has seen better days.

A candle in a jam jar will do for that one.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. And of course we only found out they were not working when it was dark and we needed them ?

All working now but we are going to replace the top light unit when we get back as it has seen better days.

One of the first jobs I did on a North sea Supply vessel was failed Nav Lights. All nav lights had twin lamps and an alarm panel on the bridge.

The boat was leaving Gt Yarmouth and the Coastguard suggested he turned his lights on. The last electrician who was well thought of for repairing nav light systems just snipped the wires to the alarm unit. That was why he was so good an repairing them and stopping the alarm going off.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was wondering where you had got the money to buy a boat! :giggles:

No that was to try and keep a roof over our heads when interest rates were well up in double figures and we had a joint bank account, I put the money in and the ex wife took it out. The good old day as they say.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

The good old day as they say.

We went to a steam rally some years back at Shakerstone. Our eyes were streaming from the sulphur fumes in the air and we heard one elderly lady comment “They call them the good old days? You coughed all the time, you couldn’t hang yer washing out...”

Three days graft.

20200918_121833.jpg

Result (still not 100% finished - gunnels to do this side. (Failing scumbling replaced with a "better than holding coat jobbie"). Well three coats inc undercoat. Colour is "Chalky White". Picks up Daves signwriting a treat.

20200921_123301.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

It, the masking tape, came off ok. Delicate surface "Green Frog" brand which is possibly the best I have used to date but I do like 3m too.  Best practise is to paint and remove mask and remask between coats I understand.

I was doing some masking on roof in full sun recently. I removed after 2 hours (deffo don't leave masking on in sun) and still left residue to which panel wipe removed. 

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's a lot of masking tape to stick on in a straight line! Any deviation will show as a variation in the width of the line, so this is one place you really need to get it right.

Hope you don't get any paint bleeding under the tape!

Agreed. I just followed the existing faded red line pinstripe. No bleeding. Concentrated on running the thumb on the edge of mask before panel wipe to rid any masking micro pockets of air and remove my greasy thumbprint. And the finger nail vertical on any join. I should add the existing pinstripe was roughed up with cutting paste first.

Edited by mark99

Pinstripe with tape removed. I took this general photo earlier today. There is a cream stripe inside. It's as straight as the pro painter at Dadford did originally. Which is 98% straight. I could even see his feint pencil marks. It took me an hour to mask each side and that's following a well furoughed path.

20200922_165837_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

46 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Pinstripe with tape removed. I took this general photo earlier today. There is a cream stripe inside. It's as straight as the pro painter at Dadford did originally. Which is 98% straight. I could even see his feint pencil marks. It took me an hour to mask each side and thats following a well furoughed path.

20200922_165837_resized.jpg

Are you painting stripes on the benches as well...?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Are you painting stripes on the benches as well...?

Lol. Seriously this pub is an absolutely rammed busy pub with long queues at the bar as it sits in an amazing waterside "destination" setting and always gets voted in the 10 best pubs in Surrey (I don't agree its so fecking busy the staff treated you like another pest ruining their day). The Covid crisis has seen it operate like a dying pub in the Outer Hebrides. All the outside tables with the view  across the cut have been condemned as shut. Sad.

Edited by mark99

Had a good few days :

Fitted new anchor chain-pipe in the fore-deck.

Fitted new Nav lights and a new all-round white (the 'all-round white was no longer 'all-round' since the Radar was installed and being higher that the light obscured it for about 30 degrees)

Fitted a new Chart plotter to both external and internal helm positions.

Bought an additional 20 metres of anchor chain

Bought a new anchor

Bought a set of 6 Boat-stands for when she is lifted out for Winter.

20200923_154342.jpg

s-l1600 (1).png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.png

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

20200923_154342.jpg

I have noticed the Raymarine Element is quite a lot  cheaper than the touch screen models - seems good value with little in the way of lost functions. 

Started the engine at 0800 as normal, by 0810 was up to armpits in electrical system . Ammeter flicked over to 60a and then dead. Charge lights out but volts on floor. Advec warning light fluctuating on and off.

Before tearing off the alternator, had a little poke around ammeter which is engine mounted on a panel. 
Restarted engine and fiddled with ammeter wires. Result ammeter swung into life with a happy collection of sparks.

Switched off.

Investigation evidenced the insulated bracket had failed and as the threaded bars that hold it are also the terminals for the meter the obvious was happening.

Assumed during engine rebuild nut  not done up tight enough allowing chatter and wearing out of insulation, it is a lister!

Replaced with the insulated bracket from the old ammeter, and off we went.

Then the head fell off the broom.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I have noticed the Raymarine Element is quite a lot  cheaper than the touch screen models - seems good value with little in the way of lost functions. 

Indeed It is a very well priced piece of kit, can be linked by WiFi to Radar, linked to each engine and gives RPM, fuel consumption, is fuel tank gauge, and of course fish finder with the addition of a transducer. It shows a 'continuous' height of the tide at each part of the route.  Is AIS compatible.

Very very versatile bit of electronics and makes my old (2 year old) Raymarine "A" series plotter seem archaic.

I specifically wanted a non-touch screen, as when fitted to the outside helm it can have moisture on the screen, I can have cold and wet hands etc etc all of which are not conducive to good 'touch screen' usage.

I have installed Complete UK, Irish and Dutch waters Navionics charts which adds £230 to the price but are well worth it

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed It is a very well priced piece of kit, can be linked by WiFi to Radar, linked to each engine and gives RPM, fuel consumption, is fuel tank gauge, and of course fish finder with the addition of a transducer. It shows a 'continuous' height of the tide at each part of the route.  Is AIS compatible.

Very very versatile bit of electronics and makes my old (2 year old) Raymarine "A" series plotter seem archaic.

I specifically wanted a non-touch screen, as when fitted to the outside helm it can have moisture on the screen, I can have cold and wet hands etc etc all of which are not conducive to good 'touch screen' usage.

I have installed Complete UK, Irish and Dutch waters Navionics charts which adds £230 to the price but are well worth it

I have the  Hybrid touch e7 fitted in 2015 and pleased it has buttons as well as touch screen.  In a very lumpy sea the touch screen was useless .

These products are soon out of date.

Charts  see to have increased in price but sounds like you have the upmarket version.

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1