What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

I lost my longer dry dock slot due to lockdown so this years painting is quite bitty - doing bits and pieces of my annual list where and as best I can.

I could have been a lazy arse, whinged and done nothing  ;)

Tins have had their regualar slap of varnish. Beats watching telly.

20200904_183349_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

On 02/09/2020 at 19:02, ditchcrawler said:

Not fettled yet but I pinged a brass hull penetration off yesterday from the engine room sink. Came off clean as a whistle .

An update. I was passing sheet piling, the thick stuff and we heard a loud ping, later I spotted the skin fitting was missing. Here is the temporary repair, a piece of branch hammered into the hole where the engine room sink drain was and the remains of the skin fitting, Good job it wasnt on the waterline

DSCF4234.JPG

DSCF4229small.jpg

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

An update. I was passing sheet piling, the thick stuff and we heard a loud ping, later I spotted the skin fitting was missing. Here is the temporary repair, a piece of branch hammered into the hole where the engine room sink drain was and the remains of the skin fitting, Good job it wasnt on the waterline

DSCF4234.JPG

DSCF4229small.jpg

Tongue in cheek comment. Not serious in anyway or form.

Should have had your fenders down!!

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have had all of the "windows" replaced in our canopy today.

The canvas is still in really good condition but the windows were very scuffed and the front ones had started to go milky at the bottom so we decided to replace them before they split.

Does it look  neat and tidy as it was when new ? 

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

How would that help when he smashed the outer part of the skin fitting off?  Wouldn't he just end up with the seacock and pipes lying inside the boat and the same hole in the hull?

Its OK the pipe was still attached to the sink quite a bit higher so nothing could go up the pipe into the boat

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its OK the pipe was still attached to the sink quite a bit higher so nothing could go up the pipe into the boat

Well no, but the other end of the pipe was lying on the floor.  What stopped the water coming in through the hole in the hull until you (correctly) bunged it up?

Add: unless the broken skin fitting remained in place until you started "fixing" it?

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well no, but the other end of the pipe was lying on the floor.  What stopped the water coming in through the hole in the hull until you (correctly) bunged it up?

Add: unless the broken skin fitting remained in place until you started "fixing" it?

I was actually tying to be sarcastic and agreeing with you. Yes the pipe was all in one piece still attached to the skin fitting, it just wasn't sealed into the hull any more hence the bit of wood.

Wouldn’t call it ‘fettle’ but I took my dump through loo completely apart, new seals, a month or so ago, in an attempt to retain water in the pan. Couldn’t find owt wrong in my previous assembly, put it all back together, hey presto, water is retained in the pan. Yippee! Can of celebratory beer.

Now, as you sit (SIT) on the loo you can hear said retained water starting to escape into the soil tank. Gloom, gloom and more gloom.

Absolutely no idea.

Also a new issue is the water valve has started sticking and doesn’t stop putting water in the pan. Wiggle the pedal and it stops. 
Its just not operating right (Correctly).

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Wouldn’t call it ‘fettle’ but I took my dump through loo completely apart, new seals, a month or so ago, in an attempt to retain water in the pan. Couldn’t find owt wrong in my previous assembly, put it all back together, hey presto, water is retained in the pan. Yippee! Can of celebratory beer.

Now, as you sit (SIT) on the loo you can hear said retained water starting to escape into the soil tank. Gloom, gloom and more gloom.

Absolutely no idea.

Also a new issue is the water valve has started sticking and doesn’t stop putting water in the pan. Wiggle the pedal and it stops. 
Its just not operating right (Correctly).

Did you lubricate where the foot peddle runs on the mushroom head of the valve. Last time I did my loo I put new seals, ball and spring cartridge. You can now buy the spring on ebay

Replaced all the seals from the tank upwards. Didn’t use any lubricant. I’ll give that a try. Thinking, after reading up on this defect, worth replacing the water valve. But will try some sort of lubricant first.

Thanks for the hint.

Edit to add, I spoke to Leesan, Michael, and he suggested that there are after market spring cartridges on the market that are not as good as original. He asked me to confirm that my one was opaque. It is. He said good.

Edited by Nightwatch

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Replaced all the seals from the tank upwards. Didn’t use any lubricant. I’ll give that a try. Thinking, after reading up on this defect, worth replacing the water valve. But will try some sort of lubricant first.

Thanks for the hint.

Edit to add, I spoke to Leesan, Michael, and he suggested that there are after market spring cartridges on the market that are not as good as original. He asked me to confirm that my one was opaque. It is. He said good.

I have had these flood the loo twice so fitted  a non-concussive shower valve in the feed to the toilet

image.png.b3be676f19b8afc6ad6f4f60a89c7d64.png

Fitted a tv to my little cruiser.Took a little time to decide where to put it,and fit a retractable mount,fit the ariel,wire everything up,fit an isolation switch.

Feeling quite pleased with myself,opened a tin of beer and packet of nuts,and settled down to watch.

Tried 24hr news,Covid,Covid,and Covid.Couldn't find anything interesting so watched a bit of Transformers and found it childish.The film about the skater Tonia Harding was mildly interesting,but there was hardly any dialogue without f-ing in it.I can f- and blind with the best of them,especially when hitting my thumb with a hammer,but this film was way over the top.

Switched off and read a Clive Cussler novel.

Should have saved my money and a load of work!

• Happy 1

20 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Should have saved my money and a load of work!

It's the chief officer who switches the TV on in our house (and boat). I do watch some of it but if left to me the TV would be little used .  My daughters family  doesn't watch terrestrial TV at all . I am not sure a TV receiving stations vla an antenna  is considered modern technology at all these days .

Boating forums are more entertaining.

Fixed the nav lights today.

Discovered the other week we had none out of five working!

Now all working again. A combination of two blown bulbs and some dodgy wiring.

Had to fix these today as we will be needing them next Saturday on the late tide run to Cromwell. 

51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not a great ratio, that ;)

No. And of course we only found out they were not working when it was dark and we needed them ?

All working now but we are going to replace the top light unit when we get back as it has seen better days.