What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Just now, PhilR said:

What have I fettled today?

After several BSS advisories over the years on the lack of low level ventilation I have finally killed 2 birds with one stone.

I have cut out the bottom panels of the front doors (which were rotting) and fixed massive ventilation grills to both doors

and beaded them up. Staining/varnishing is the next job.

But I suspect it mighty be a bit draughty in the front cabin during winter with OTT ventilation?

The solution is simple. :ninja:

vents003.jpg

On 24/08/2020 at 21:48, PhilR said:

What have I fettled today?

After several BSS advisories over the years on the lack of low level ventilation I have finally killed 2 birds with one stone.

I have cut out the bottom panels of the front doors (which were rotting) and fixed massive ventilation grills to both doors

and beaded them up. Staining/varnishing is the next job.

But I suspect it mighty be a bit draughty in the front cabin during winter with OTT ventilation?

It took me 20 years to discover, and has never been noticed by an examiner, that the low level ventilation louvres on the front bulkhead are screwed straight onto solid steel.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

It took me 20 years to discover, and has never been noticed by an examiner, that the low level ventilation louvres on the front bulkhead are screwed straight onto solid steel.

Cut down on the draught 

Dubbined my boating boots

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

So, spending all week working on boats, it's time to get our own stove ready for Winter

Long brush down and......

20200829_132711.jpg

Not what I wanted to see.?

Not a good sight. Had to replace our stove flue late last year. 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

So, spending all week working on boats, it's time to get our own stove ready for Winter

Long brush down and......

20200829_132711.jpg

Not what I wanted to see.?

Ouch, please don’t find that when you get to mine ?

Seems it's time to get messy with Klaxons, I've just done mine as well.

I bought it from "Halsey" (spinster of this parish) at the end of June.

Before.jpg.fcc9e777ea4e7a1876121a83f70111b3.jpgIMG_3166.JPG.f498853201b99d3183f52c64e8cd26ae.JPGIMG_3169.JPG.4d8dcdae280b2b2f9d7f5204bb85a06c.JPGIMG_3168.JPG.4c617b828ced138a5534bcdf357400c2.JPG

Re-greased the internals

Manufactured a base and painted it to match boat.

• Greenie 2

More vibration from engine than normal (ouboard) investigation revealed prop loose.The engine is only one year old and I found the prop nut fingertight.

Tried leaning over the transom but couldn't get enough purchase to get the splitpin out.Took the boat to the water point where there is a 90 degree docking and backed the boat into the corner.

Lying face down on the ground took the splitpin out and tightened the nut.

Heavens  opened and chucked it down.Getting soaked while trying to put the new splitpin in (very awkward as the prop is in a recess) it sprang out into the cut *#&!?:I swore worse than that.Back into the boat for another splitpin and found that the one I just dropped was my last one.Rain was really hammering down and I couldnt leave the boat at the waterpoint and couldn't motor back to the mooring with no splitpin as the mooring is on the opposite bank I couldn't bow haul either.Made a cup of coffee to think while watching the ground get wetter and wetter.

With a lot of effort I managed to straighten the old splitpin and waited about half an hour and the rain eased off a bit.Lying face down on a soaked surface with rain on my back the old mangled splitpin was most reluctant to go in,but it did when I was about ready to give up.

Soaked to the skin and in a foul mood I motored back to my mooring to find to find a visiting boat had nicked it!

Not a happy day!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

More vibration from engine than normal (ouboard) investigation revealed prop loose.The engine is only one year old and I found the prop nut fingertight.

Tried leaning over the transom but couldn't get enough purchase to get the splitpin out.Took the boat to the water point where there is a 90 degree docking and backed the boat into the corner.

Lying face down on the ground took the splitpin out and tightened the nut.

Heavens  opened and chucked it down.Getting soaked while trying to put the new splitpin in (very awkward as the prop is in a recess) it sprang out into the cut *#&!?:I swore worse than that.Back into the boat for another splitpin and found that the one I just dropped was my last one.Rain was really hammering down and I couldnt leave the boat at the waterpoint and couldn't motor back to the mooring with no splitpin as the mooring is on the opposite bank I couldn't bow haul either.Made a cup of coffee to think while watching the ground get wetter and wetter.

With a lot of effort I managed to straighten the old splitpin and waited about half an hour and the rain eased off a bit.Lying face down on a soaked surface with rain on my back the old mangled splitpin was most reluctant to go in,but it did when I was about ready to give up.

Soaked to the skin and in a foul mood I motored back to my mooring to find to find a visiting boat had nicked it!

Not a happy day!

1.  Stick a plastic bowl under outboards or outdrives when working on them.

2.  Punt with a long shaft.

3.  Untie the cheeky bugger and set them free ... (Assuming it's your permanent home mooring and not just where you were earlier!)

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

1.  Stick a plastic bowl under outboards or outdrives when working on them.

2.  Punt with a long shaft.

3.  Untie the cheeky bugger and set them free ... (Assuming it's your permanent home mooring and not just where you were earlier!)

All good suggestions.

Looped a length of whipping twine through the eye of the splitpin the second time and tied it to my belt.

This is my home mooring and they are also visitor's moorings.

There is also a clause in the mooring agreement that states the management reserve the right to move boats around when they deem it necessary.

So, it finally came out...

20200830_190352.jpg

Had to refill and tap the lugs as the old  bolts were never coming out...

20200830_190422.jpg

The top end fitted better than before...and I didnt need to cut the flue, very unusual!

20200830_190449.jpg

Edited by matty40s