What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Having bought 30 metres of 14mm polyhemp rope for £30 (which seemed quite cheap) I cut in half and spliced eyes onto one end of each, for bow and stern lines.

Thank heavens for step by step guide to eye splicing on the Internet!

I have to watch a YouTube video everytime I eye splice or back splice.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I have to watch a YouTube video everytime I eye splice or back splice.

I don't bother splicing anymore.

All ropes have adhesive heat shrink on each end and if I need a loop I tie a bowline.

A back splice can often jam in a cleat adhesive shrink tends not to jam.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving in the wet dock tomorrow to finish this off. The blue paint on roof is breaking down so will need recoating and the red handrails too.

It was roasting 34 degrees, scrubbing roof, removing mushrooms, rubbing down and bonda-priming. Still lots of rust spots to attack before a coat or three goes on. Must have droipped 1/2 stone.

Need a gallon of beer later.

20200809_132602.jpg

Edited by mark99

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Dunno, looks like he's missed a bit.....

Fixed that for you Matty!  2nd coat on.

20200812_160103_resized.jpg

Handrails first topcoat.

20200812_160054_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've made a really nice heater for the boat but I can't seem to download a pic, too many megabyte thingys apparently, how do you get pics on here?

If it's on your phone, use the edit picture function and then resize photograph (probably 60% will do), save it and try to post that picture instead.

I have to do it for every picture on here now.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bee said:

I've made a really nice heater for the boat but I can't seem to download a pic, too many megabyte thingys apparently, how do you get pics on here?

If on a phone then load the picture and take a screen grab of it and upload that instead.

The screen grab should be a smaller file than the original.

For most pictures to be viewed on a screen, scaling them down to 1024 pixels or so on the long side is perfectly adequate. Phone cameras produce stupidly high resolution and file size pictures as standard now. Useful sometimes if you want to blow up a small detail, but otherwise a complete waste of bytes. 

Jen

Started on the hatches which are degraded.

Mouse sander - not good. Failure really.

20200816_152030_resized.jpg

Random Orbital = much better.

20200816_153203_resized.jpg

Just needs a couple coats varnish (anti UV) to stop the red fading.

Harris brush plus a chisel 1/2" brush + Marl Knob for cutting in.

20200819_084557_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

Over the weekend, fitted a 40A Pro Ultra Sterling charger. As I have only 2 new leisure batteries of one bank, I only used one of the 3 outlets of the charger, but connected all three positive poles together - as the instructions advise. It seems to be doing its stuff, and quietly keeping two new batteries healthy - I hope.

Having done that, I thought it would be a good idea to look at a boxed Victron Phoenix 12-3000 inverter. Bought it 10 years ago (£1,060) - receipt was in the box. Still looked in mint condition, but expected some signs of neglect - none. Rigged it up, in a basic way to test it, connected with jumps leads to the isolation switch of the batteries, plus fitted a three pin plug socket to the outlet. Also earthed it to the  shell of the boat. Giving it progressively higher loads, but it will be limited to the jump lead size, which is 25mm squared. Not sure what the limit will be, but I can't see it reaching its maximum output on those cables. Once the Victron starts to feel starved of the current supply, caused by the limit of the jumper lead cable's size, the Victron should give me the batteries are low signal led. - and cough or shut down. 

Think I might have to buy 4 more batteries to supply the inverter - eventually. 

Doesn't end there. I have a Redi-Line 1600. It was kept under the bed, in a locker. Haven't seen that in 10 years. Cleaned it up and tested it. It works, and what a lump weight it is. The Victron is a lump, too. Finding a place for both is going to be a challenge. With the Honda generator, I don't really need all of that potential power, accept for the ability to power tools out on the canal. I envisage having to repaint the boat out on the canal, with possibly a week or so undercover,  

Have recently retired. Some days I'm not sure what to do with the time, but there's no shortage of jobs to do around the boat. 

Edited by Higgs

30 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Doesn't end there. I have a Redi-Line 1600. It was kept under the bed, in a locker. Haven't seen that in 10 years. Cleaned it up and tested it. It works, and what a lump weight it is. The Victron is a lump, too. Finding a place for both is going to be a challenge.  

The best place for the Redi-Line is Ebay, they are so inefficient its not true

3 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

Is this a good idea - any thoughts? My thinking has always been; keep stray currents away from the hull on a steel boat?

There is actually a large stud on the casing of the Victron, and some I've heard say, it is for a large earth cable. It is definitely an earthing stud. The charger is also meant to be grounded. I have a galvanic isolated, which is also grounded to the shell. Everything is grounded. The inverter itself should go through the supply unit when fitted properly, and in a way that can isolate the shoreline. Don't want to mix up the two supplies. 

I tend to follow the instructions. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The best place for the Redi-Line is Ebay, they are so inefficient its not true

I don't intend to use it for the general supply of power to equipment on the boat, the Victron would be for that, if needed. I have the Redi-Line, it's there, and I know it will power a few tools. I'm basically looking for a Swiss army knife of options at the moment. The two items I know I'll need to power at the same time would be the Metabo orbital sander and the large vacuum to take the dust extraction work. 

The Redi-Line is rugged and suits a workshop environment: chop saws, circular saws...

I wonder how it would cope with the arc welder? 140 amp welding inverter. The generator is rated at 8 amp output. It would probably baulk at trying to power the welder.  

The Redi-Line won't work on some tools with electronics, unless the generator has help by first getting it to excite with the use of an incandescent bulb, or something basic.  

Edited by Higgs