What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I have only fitted the non-sticky type. Despite the apparently simple "click" in the title, they do need tapping together once flat to complete the joint properly.  Not sure how well this works with sticky ones, or how you'd get this plank up without damaging it, but then the others are meant to float to allow for expansion which plastic can tend to do rather a lot. As I'm considering these on the boat, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the sticky ones as I'm not closed minded to them if they work in the narrower width of the boaty application. 

So far so good, in my case the dark brown undersurface tends to show through the edges, sort of inevitable if not laid on perfect level screed., I have gone for a rustic look, https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhome-poprock-multi-blue-wood-effect-self-adhesive-vinyl-plank-0-97m-pack/3663602563433_BQ.prd 

so not too worried, I may use this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laminate-floor-Silicone-Bond-it-Filler-for-Timber-floor-Oak-Dark-Oak-pine-Teak/253032105819?hash=item3ae9e3875b:m:mNGgVYxlN505kSF_JzLxb4g if there are problems [gaps]

I am not the best in the world at DIY, but I always get better with practice.

Edited by LadyG

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Tom Morgan said:

Nothing too demanding - fitted an engine-stop switch.

See, this is why they always say one job makes another....

If you hadn't bothered with an engine start switch, you wouldn't have needed to do this at all!  ;)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cut a piece of foam to size for the top bunk (2ft by 2M) of my newly made bunk beds. (Bottom bunk is 2ft 6in by 2M.)  Made a cover for it - my first use of a sewing machine, my own, a cheapy bought from John Lewis.  At least with wood and metal the dimensions of what you're working with are static, with material they change just by looking at them.  The top bunk folds down to act as the back of a sofa.  Not tried it yet with the covered cushions/mattresses in place.

On 12/01/2020 at 17:33, W+T said:

Got it delivered, Pumped last dregs out and Cleaned it out :) AND started on removing the engine :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkoRH7enlgo&t=1s

Just watched your YouTube vid.  Those straps were at a fair angle.  Could I suggest that when the boats finished and gets lifted back out, you ask the operator to use check ropes? A simple line run from the slings to a cleat forward and aft would do the job.  I use a crane to lift boats in and out and although a spreader frame is used and the slings almost vertical, we still use check ropes on vee hulled fibreglass boats.

Good luck with the refurbishment.

15 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Just watched your YouTube vid.  Those straps were at a fair angle.  Could I suggest that when the boats finished and gets lifted back out, you ask the operator to use check ropes? A simple line run from the slings to a cleat forward and aft would do the job.  I use a crane to lift boats in and out and although a spreader frame is used and the slings almost vertical, we still use check ropes on vee hulled fibreglass boats.

Good luck with the refurbishment.

I will do ;) they company i used have never lifted boats before, so maybe the thing they missed but in all the boats i have had lifted have never used them.  

What are they used for ? i cant see any diagrams on goolge for there use.

8 minutes ago, W+T said:

I will do ;) they company i used have never lifted boats before, so maybe the thing they missed but in all the boats i have had lifted have never used them.  

What are they used for ? i cant see any diagrams on goolge for there use.

It's just that the angle of the slings was a little on the keen side.  Under loading the slings would want to try to move towards each other, okay they didn't and all was good but you can see what would have happened if one had slipped.  Visualise a line running from each sling, one forward and one aft, now the slings can't slip towards each other.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Secured the waste oil pump back to the side of the engine as the old plastic clips had rattled themselves to pieces. 

IMG_20200709_104640.jpg.adc8d07253fed66e3e4fb906bf3c2923.jpg

Used a couple of spare solar cable holders that were left after the installation and bent into shape. 

I’ve refitted the cabin today, as you do. A complete rebuild of the front 12’ of Vulpes which is the entire daytime living space and a bedroom for two. Still a couple of bits of trim to fit but those will have to wait until it gets back to base in November by which time there will be a new stove too.

C58CE2B4-A6D3-4362-99C0-0F6C568EF062.jpeg

BB0C96D1-839D-4DFD-8F32-3D07BAD4C854.jpeg

• Greenie 4

Built a new bed to convert two singles into a retractable double. Only problem is its in my garage and wont be fitted to the boat for 6-8 weeks. Hope I got the measurements right ;)

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

Built a new bed to convert two singles into a retractable double. Only problem is its in my garage and wont be fitted to the boat for 6-8 weeks. Hope I got the measurements right ;)

I met a chap who fitted a Hudson boat out like that and of course Ken used to bring a suitcase full of pre made bits when he came from Canada

Edited by ditchcrawler

I Have splashed the cash and fitted a Victron inverter and Isolating transformer, bit of a problem with earthing when I tested with a plug diagnostic gismo, but all sorted [ supplied paperwork not same as what I was looking at inside whilst fitting jumpers]. 

Just got to go on holiday and test it.

1 hour ago, J R ALSOP said:

I Have splashed the cash and fitted a Victron inverter and Isolating transformer, bit of a problem with earthing when I tested with a plug diagnostic gismo, but all sorted [ supplied paperwork not same as what I was looking at inside whilst fitting jumpers]. 

Just got to go on holiday and test it.

I guess that is as good an excuse as any! ??

Full engine service done today on Isuzu 42, TBO it isn't really much of problem, 5 year with the boat and I do it every year.  Always feel satisfied when it's done, and my back isn't causing me grief this year.  off for a two week trip tomorrow happy days.

Cleaned the front cover yesterday,

Every day for the last week I have been adding a coat of Danish oil to the front deck table, i will keep doing one a day for another week or so.

Having bought 30 metres of 14mm polyhemp rope for £30 (which seemed quite cheap) I cut in half and spliced eyes onto one end of each, for bow and stern lines.

Thank heavens for step by step guide to eye splicing on the Internet!