What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

On 13/05/2019 at 08:11, MartynG said:

Yesterday I changed  props with the boat in the water - with the assistance of chest waders and a step ladder , and thankfully a shallow depth mooring.

Tested said prop change today with a run from Gainsborough to West Stockwith at 20knots.

All seems well .

It has been a nice day for polishing today. NC is looking nice and shiny again.

Just the antifoul to apply next weekend and we should be good to go back in the water.

20190519-142346.jpg

20190519-142332.jpg

We have decided that we are going to hang onto Naughty-Cal for a bit longer. We are going to hire a VW van next summer and see if we like it or not before committing to selling the boat.

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just the antifoul to apply next weekend and we should be good to go back in the water.

20190519-142346.jpg

20190519-142332.jpg

We have decided that we are going to hang onto Naughty-Cal for a bit longer. We are going to hire a VW van next summer and see if we like it or not before committing to selling the boat.

Is it true that you used to be indecisive but now you are not quite sure. … ?

• Haha 1

Just had the bill through for the storage ashore and it is cheaper to have five months out than it is the usual two or three months we have. 

So we might be tempted to have an extended period ashore next time as well to give everything a good chance to dry out.

It has been a bit hot and humid for antifoul painting today but we have got it done and the boat is now ready to relaunch on Tuesday.

20190525-134031.jpg

20190525-134003.jpg

I also stripped out the bedroom and gave everything a thorough clean. All of the bedding and the mattresses covers are here at home for a go through the washing machine to freshen them up.

Next week I will bring home the seat covers and curtains to give them a good wash as well.

My £15 Aldi centre aisle sack barrow was looking very sorry for itself, so I've stripped off what was left of the paint down to bare metal and repainted it to match the boat. Wasn't taking a great deal of care, so there are plenty of drips and runs, and I managed to get quiet a bit on the tyres, but it looks a little smarter. It does show that Craftmaster cream paint fades over time a lot worse than their alfa red.

Jen

barrow.jpg.739cbce868f022e50b2e46d071546b6e.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My £15 Aldi centre aisle sack barrow was looking very sorry for itself, so I've stripped off what was left of the paint down to bare metal and repainted it to match the boat. Wasn't taking a great deal of care, so there are plenty of drips and runs, and I managed to get quiet a bit on the tyres, but it looks a little smarter. It does show that Craftmaster cream paint fades over time a lot worse than their alfa red.

Jen

barrow.jpg.739cbce868f022e50b2e46d071546b6e.jpg

Looks like it doubles as a handy frame to strap the steerer into in a storm! :boat:

• Haha 1

Today I decided to fit a new ECU on my Eberspacher D4 Air heater. It was an easy job as there is good access to the  heater on my boat. The heater unit had to be removed. The  tools required were two10mm open ended spanners a screwdriver and a torx bit.  

The heater had suddenly stopped while in use in early May. There has been no great rush to fix the heater as we have not needed it since then but the heater does need to be working for the BSS test which will be due later in the year. 

I am pleased to see the heater is restored to working order.  Quite a relief ,in fact, as the ECU was not a cheap item and I had not been 100% sure it was the only fault.

The heater must be as old as the boat (16 years ).

41 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Today I decided to fit a new ECU on my Eberspacher D4 Air heater. It was an easy job as there is good access to the  heater on my boat. The heater unit had to be removed. The  tools required were two10mm open ended spanners a screwdriver and a torx bit.  

The heater had suddenly stopped while in use in early May. There has been no great rush to fix the heater as we have not needed it since then but the heater does need to be working for the BSS test which will be due later in the year. 

I am pleased to see the heater is restored to working order.  Quite a relief ,in fact, as the ECU was not a cheap item and I had not been 100% sure it was the only fault.

The heater must be as old as the boat (16 years ).

What makes you think the heater has to be working for the safety test?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

What makes you think the heater has to be working for the safety test?

Good question.

Appliances certainly seem to be included and I assumed, if fitted, had to be working.

On 19/05/2019 at 15:29, Naughty Cal said:

20190519-142346.jpg

20190519-142332.jpg

We have a vw van our ‘home’ in australia. Heating aircon microwave hot water server toilet shower awning etc. old and battered.  But well set up.

we also have our 1930s boat , solid fuel stove, no hot water service. No microwave, no aircon.old and very battered. 

I know whats going up for sale next year its a complete no brainer. Anyone want a well maintained and set up vw lt? You have to collect.

painted the hatch

polished the brass ( we needed rain)

changed the oil 

rode 80kms

boated 3 hrs

Hi All,

I decided to take up the old lino and replace with 9mm ply and Birch ply strip inlay. Would of been easier and quicker to mop the floor.?

LihIRgel.jpg

wCAhdJpl.jpg

RsTRXI7l.jpg

Few more strips to glue in place, a little varnish and then it is done.

DmyuI4Ol.jpg

Edited by Paul HD
  • Greenie 2

Not really fettling this although it has extended our cooking abilities somewhat. 

A friend of ours unveiled his Cadac Safari Chef on Sunday morning as we were contemplating firing up the bbq to cook the sausage and we were so impressed with it we have had to buy one.

As you most probably know we only have two gas rings and a grill to cook on complemented by a slow cooker when we are on the move. 

The Cadac is a gas bbq, come grill, come wok, come oven so should prove to be quite versatile. We already carry a spare gas cylinder so powering it is no problem and it folds very compact into a neat little carry bag which is easy to stow away even on a small boat like ours.

I'm looking forward to getting cooking on it now. First meal has to be a river backside roast dinner. 

We might need some better weather first though!

20190604-185044.jpg

20190604-195020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Put the roof collar and stove flue back in after treating the rust under and around them on the roof in between the showers over the last few weeks. Also where the solar hot water pipe bulkhead fittings go through the roof. Thought I'd better as thunderstorms are forecast for tonight and tomorrow! Lots of high temperature silicone gunge and doing up recalcitrant nuts and bolts. Will soon find out if it is water proof. The clouds are building!

Jen ?️

Not just today but this week:

Decided to remove stove, so levered up roof collar. Collar rusted up around flue so flue came up too.  Went inside to discover  that the cement sealing the flue to stove joint was solid as well, so the stove was now hanging in mid-air. Well, off the floor at least.  Resisted the temptation to start a new fashion for lit suspended stoves. Spent 3 days on and off chipping away at the cement before finally getting the stove to descend.  Then a major effort to get the stove out of the boat.  Two charming people then helped me to get it into the van, volunteering without being asked. 

Replaced the deckboard over the engine bay, transferring the locks from the old board which was getting woolly about the edges - and it fitted perfectly! Pleasantly suprised.