What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Extracted PO tank sensor which had seized, first time in 8 years.  Checked tank level before I started by listening to the flow. Got it wrong, tank was about 85% full, but not a problem (sensor is in the top).  Expected lots of bad smell but got only a sweetish smell (I don't add anything and its a steel tank).  Expected the sensor to be clogged with lots of Urgggh but it wasn't, it was more like limescale as you see in a kettle.  Replaced the sensor without its collar which I have taken home to give it a more thorough clean, so it is working in a temporary manner.  Very easy, about 30 mins work.

11 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Extracted PO tank sensor which had seized, first time in 8 years.  Checked tank level before I started by listening to the flow. Got it wrong, tank was about 85% full, but not a problem (sensor is in the top).  Expected lots of bad smell but got only a sweetish smell (I don't add anything and its a steel tank).  Expected the sensor to be clogged with lots of Urgggh but it wasn't, it was more like limescale as you see in a kettle.  Replaced the sensor without its collar which I have taken home to give it a more thorough clean, so it is working in a temporary manner.  Very easy, about 30 mins work.

What sort of gauge is it

just replaced my 12 year old regulator and pigtails.  The new regulator was a bit shorter than the old one, so I spent quite a bit of time making a new outlet pipe and fitting it inside the gas locker.

It was after I had finished that it occurred to me that I could have drilled new holes and fitted the regulator mounting bracket a couple of cms lower.  Doh!

• Haha 2

Reassemble new exhaust header/gaskets after titivating it with exhaust spray paint baked on. Checked joints etc - no leaks. Not sure how long the VHT paint will last - we shall see.

20190406_100552_resized.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Reassemble new exhaust header/gaskets after titivating it with exhaust spray paint baked on. Checked joints etc - no leaks. Not sure how long the VHT paint will last - we shall see.

Plenty of copper there to polish...

Today fitted new raw water impellers - lump water boat.

The old impellers were just starting to deteriorate but no bits missing  - so I have had good value out of them. 

20190412.jpg

One of the brace face plate screws snapped - I only gave it the lightest touch. Looks like it may have been defective a while. 

28 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not sure if this is "fettling" or not?

Had a battle with 2 new fenders and a lump hammer this afternoon.

IMGP4057.JPG

Definitely fettling Ray. The smaller the job the more relevant!

On 07/04/2019 at 21:50, MartynG said:

Today fitted new raw water impellers - lump water boat.

The old impellers were just starting to deteriorate but no bits missing  - so I have had good value out of them. 

20190412.jpg

One of the brace face plate screws snapped - I only gave it the lightest touch. Looks like it may have been defective a while. 

I always keep an old one as well as a spare new one Just in case they get me out of the shit one day.

Edited by mark99

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I always keep an old one as well as a spare new one Just in case they get me out of the shit one day.

Yes. The removed impellers will be retained, hopefully never to be required.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not sure I would trust either of those as spares with those splits in them!

One of the removed impellers is better than the other. The split is only partial length  but I will take  a closer look. 

I have at least one other removed spare on the boat and two useable spares will be plenty.

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

One of the removed impellers is better than the other. The split is only partial length  but I will take  a closer look. 

I have at least one other removed spare on the boat and two useable spares will be plenty.

Throw them away and get a couple of new ones as spares.

If they have lasted you three years they have done their work!

45 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Throw them away and get a couple of new ones as spares.

If they have lasted you three years they have done their work!

Gosh I always replaced every year, had quite a few spares!

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I guess it depends how critical they are to you.

Well, I just thought a working engine is essential on a salty boat single handed offshore. I mean, I had no idea, I just followed the engine manual and my engineer,  and my engine guru who was an  expert in the YSB12, and  always had a spare recon engine ready to deliver within 36 hours. Yu pick these things up from good boatyard owners.

Edited by LadyG

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, I just thought a working engine is essential on a salty boat single handed offshore. I mean, I had no idea, I just followed the engine manual and my engineer,  and my engine guru who was an  expert in the YSB12, and  always had a spare recon engine ready to deliver within 36 hours. Yu pick these things up from good boatyard owners.

The VP book does recommend to replace them every year. Martyn has left his for three.

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well, I just thought a working engine is essential on a salty boat ..........always had a spare recon engine ready to deliver within 36 hours

My boat has two engines fitted.

I just had a little tidy up in the engine bay this evening , a little light dab of grease here and there as required .

20190413.jpg

I have recently bought some inexpensive tool boxes from B&M.  Certainly not professional quality but if treated with due care they will do the job for my light duty needs. These are  already helping improve my otherwise disorganised  collection. The chief officer will be happy that things are tidy and can be more easily found when required .

The tool boxes fit nicely in the storage lockers on the boat  - more by luck than judgement.  I have tried not to bring too many tools to the boat  but  seem to be losing the battle. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I just had a little tidy up in the engine bay this evening , a little light dab of grease here and there as required .

20190413.jpg

I have recently bought some inexpensive tool boxes from B&M.  Certainly not professional quality but if treated with due care they will do the job for my light duty needs. These are  already helping improve my otherwise disorganised  collection. The chief officer will be happy that things are tidy and can be more easily found when required .

The tool boxes fit nicely in the storage lockers on the boat  - more by luck than judgement.  I have tried not to bring too many tools to the boat  but  seem to be losing the battle. 

Very nice! ... oh to have so much space to work on an engine ... or two!

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

My boat has two engines fitted.

But no stick n rag I'll bet, so not a "proper  boat", more of a boy's toy. ?

I see they are Volvos, our Saildrive engine used to cut up in rough weather ...... on the bar, not ideal after a long weekend in Belfast.

Best stay in the marina above F3, lol.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

But no stick n rag I'll bet, so not a "proper  boat", more of a boy's toy. ?

I see they are Volvos, our Saildrive engine used to cut up in rough weather ...... on the bar, not ideal after a long weekend in Belfast.

Best stay in the marina above F3, lol.

You would never go out on the east coast if you waited for it to get below a F3!

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You would never go out on the east coast if you waited for it to get below a F3!

Wind is F3 and under but in the wrong direction at the moment.