What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Not very exciting. As the forecast was reasonably warm this morning I let the stove go out overnight. Today I have drained the stove backboiler and central heating loop and refilled it with 30% antifreeze/inhibitor. Took the chance to run the big bottle brush through the flue pipe. Lit the fire, chased out any airlocks and the gravity circulation is working again.

Can't remember the last time corrosion inhibitor was added and since I had plenty of antifreeze/inhibitor left over from winterising the solar hot water system a few weeks ago I used this in the central heating. There was just enough!

Jen

Now the bilge is painted - floor undercoat down two coats - bit bright .....will get topcoat or two of raddle red on top. And coated in black the alternator and starter.

20181102_133828.jpg

20181103_115705.jpg

Edited by mark99

Yesterday we changed the Leisure Batteries and the water pump.. the water pump was a piece of cake but the batteries turned out to be Milk Float batteries which imho come in around 60kg... sure made the 46kg replacements feel light tho! 

16 hours ago, mark99 said:

Now the bilge is painted - floor undercoat down two coats - bit bright .....will get topcoat or two of raddle red on top. And coated in black the alternator and starter.

20181103_115705.jpg

Btw, that looks awesome! I’d kill for a proper engine room.... ?

Edited by lampini
  • Greenie 1

Top coat raddle red. Prob stick 2 or three on. Mmmm prefer the undercoat colour!   I'm sure it will calm down to satin when dry.

20181106_143725.jpg

20181106_143732.jpg

Edited by mark99

Booked the dock for two days in March. Finally going to sort out (overpaint) the faded red handrails.

And slap a coat of alkyd non yellowing varnish on the signwriting panels. Once varnished, one has to keep them varnished. 

Edited by mark99

Fettled the turbo.

Although in doing so we have now added another job to the winter to do list. Need to dismantle and clean out the raw water coolers this year.

Temperature is still climbing at high revs :(

Need to get this sorted before we head to Wells next year.

20181111_090128.jpg

20181111_090117.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fitted the new fridge.

Not as easy a job as it could have been and took three hours. 

Had to cut the hole bigger in the GRP. Then the fridge only just fits depth wise and is only just clear of the hull side. Then it needed rewiring. 

On the plus side. It fits much more beer in than the old one while still leaving loads of room for food. It is very quiet and it draws very little power. 

Happy days.

Rubbish picture I'm afraid!

20181208_121619.jpg

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Fitted the new fridge.

Not as easy a job as it could have been and took three hours. 

Had to cut the hole bigger in the GRP. Then the fridge only just fits depth wise and is only just clear of the hull side. Then it needed rewiring. 

On the plus side. It fits much more beer in than the old one while still leaving loads of room for food. It is very quiet and it draws very little power. 

Happy days.

Rubbish picture I'm afraid!

20181208_121619.jpg

That’s the same fridge we fitted to WotEver. Is there sufficient room for ventilation?

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s the same fridge we fitted to WotEver. Is there sufficient room for ventilation?

We think so. The back is located right next to the engine bay vents. 

Do you know how long it took to get to temperature when you installed it?

Slightly concerned it might not be cooling as quick as it should at the minute and the compressor is running none stop.

But to be fair we have loaded it up to the hilt with cans.

Vacated to the pub at the minute so will check on it when we get back. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Do you know how long it took to get to temperature when you installed it?

Can’t remember, sorry. Not even sure we stayed on the boat at the time. Duty cycle was less than 50% though once it got going. 

And really quiet as you’ve observed. 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Can’t remember, sorry. Not even sure we stayed on the boat at the time. Duty cycle was less than 50% though once it got going. 

And really quiet as you’ve observed. 

Compressor has not stopped yet. It is very cold though. Has frozen the beer in the freezer!

We have turned it down a bit.

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have turned it down a bit

Sounds like you need to turn it down a lot ;)

It could have a faulty thermostat of course. Our was replaced under warranty when only a couple of months old. 

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Cool :)

see see what I did there...?

It turns out it is very cool. The cans that we accidentally left in the freezer compartment have frozen solid ?

Happy that it is working as it should now. Think we just had it turned up too high yesterday.

Got it turned down to two lights now and everything in there is properly cold. 

The compressor really isn't running very much at all to keep it to temperature and we can hardly hear it from the bedroom which is brilliant. The old one was really quite loud although we did get used too it and it didn't really bother us. We both found we were listening out for this one to check it was still running ?